Author Topic: Visiting Liege, Belgium--where should I go?  (Read 5865 times)

egamma

Visiting Liege, Belgium--where should I go?
« Topic Start: May 27, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
I'm in Liege this week on a business trip. What sights should I see on Saturday, June 1st?

I'll be heading to Frankfurt, Germany on the 2nd. Anything I must see while I'm there?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Woah. I've been to Liège a few times, but only passed through. All I've seen is Sclessin (stadium of Standard, the local football team) and the outgoing highway, which I followed biking on the emergency lane.

Other than that they have a nice new railroad station, an aquarium and supposedly a cultural revival for the last few years.

(http://www.tripadvisor.nl/Attractions-g188655-Activities-Liege_Liege_Province_Wallonia.html)

Honestly I wouldn't consider Liège city-trip worthy (probably because I'm flemish and biased), but I'm sure you can spend a lovely day there.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Collect heroine drugies and visit their railroad station all-in-one.
Liège sucks. I suppose you could visit their medieval center if it hasn't collapsed by now.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Collect heroine drugies and visit their railroad station all-in-one.
Liège sucks. I suppose you could visit their medieval center if it hasn't collapsed by now.

The flemish bias I was speaking of has arrived :P

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
http://www.liege.be/tourisme-en?set_language=en

This is very generous of me to link it here, but hey, we better help our poor fellow Belgians in the South.
Ardet nec consumitur.

egamma

http://www.liege.be/tourisme-en?set_language=en

This is very generous of me to link it here, but hey, we better help our poor fellow Belgians in the South.

I've been there 3 days and still haven't seen a Belgian waffle!

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I've been there 3 days and still haven't seen a Belgian waffle!

You're in Belgium, they're actually just called waffles. ;)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Frankfurt has a ton of museums if you're into that sort of thing. The Stadel art museum (Stadelsches Kunstinstitut und Stadtische Galerie) holds major art collections, and the film museum is interesting (Deutsches Filmmuseum). The film one is more centrally located on the south side of the river. The Stadal is further out from the centre (if I'm remembering it right it's over on the eastern side of the city).

There's also the Main Tower, one of the tallest buildings, where you can take a lift/elevator to the top and see a 360 degree view of the city. If it's clear weather it's good at night too with all the city lights. Enterance fee used to be 4,60 euros.

egamma

Re: Visiting Liege, Belgium--where should I go?
« Reply #8: June 02, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
Fleugs is right--Liege sucks. Maastricht is great, and Dusseldorf was pretty good too. I'll probably see the Main Tower.

Thanks guys!

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Liege, Belgium--where should I go?
« Reply #9: June 02, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
Fleugs is right--Liege sucks. Maastricht is great, and Dusseldorf was pretty good too. I'll probably see the Main Tower.

Thanks guys!

I probably should have told you to go to Leuven instead, the "city" where I go to university. It's so much nicer and it actually has a lot of historical background still present today. Ah well, next time hopefully we will be able to show you the good parts of Belgium. But yes, Liège isn't nice. It's like they didn't know what to do after the metal smelting factories & mines closed, so now they're just being all poor and out of jobs.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Wolfang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Yeah, you could compare the Belgian Meuse region with the American rust belt, but waaaaaaay smaller. Liege is actually considered the best city along the Meuse in Wallonia.

egamma

On Sunday I ended up going to Baugnez44 Battle of the Bulge Historical Center in Malmedy. Highlight of the trip, simply amazing. Check for road construction before you go.

Then, I went to Jülich, Germany, and happened upon a cool little street festival. Saw the Citadel, which was okay; I'm guessing the tour would have been better. Still, I got a fairly interesting historical pamphlet.