Author Topic: Maximum battle width depends on region type  (Read 11967 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Bad idea.

This will play havoc with the battle code. So your line is max 600? Then for 90% of the battles it won't matter at all. For the really large ones, however, this will happen:

500 men of one side move into the square, distributed over several units. Now only 100 of the enemy can move in and will, of course, get slaughtered. Next 100 move in, get slaughtered... players complain.

At the absolute very least, the maximum has to count seperately per side. Everything else is a bad idea.

My apologies, I was under the impression that code already counted these things separately by side (or else how would overcrowding be counted?), certainly it would have to be done by side.

If, for instance, only a hundred men were allowed in a single line for a battle in the mountains—what happens if one side has a single unit that has a hundred men in it? Melee combat happens between two units in the same line of battle; how does the game allow any melee combat with that unit?

Just various stuff that would have to be thought about if something like this were to be implemented.

Conceptually, though, I do like it, and have mused on stuff like this in the past myself.

Indeed, counting by side would be needed, or something of that nature.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"