Author Topic: Company of the Black Sun  (Read 13056 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Company of the Black Sun
« Reply #15: March 04, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
Which I'm reasonably sure I've told you before.

Indeed, months ago you told me that I'd have to find historical examples. I wasn't ready at all to found it yet so I quickly looked it up and found that Duke Werner von Urslingen, satisfied I considered it done and kind of forgot about it... That it's till 1300 will make this a tad more difficult but I'll be looking for better examples.

That said, I do not think this company would hurt the medieval atmosphere of Dwilight. It's just a place for people who don't care about the heavy, heavy politicking on Dwilight and just wish to fight, continuously. It doesn't hurt the politicking people in any way and even provides them with more tools. An ambitious King of a smaller realm could hire us to finally rise up against his bigger neighbour. A King of a big realm could use us for his reign of oppression. A Duke to support his secession or rebellion. Or some grand schemer to shape the continent to his hand.
The war on Aurvandil can't unite the continent forever. Either Aurvandil will die and other conflicts will ensue or the currently deadlocked continent will break open and an army for sale may just be the thing to speed up either of those courses and bring the continent more dynamic again.

Besides, mercenaries were a very common sight in much if not all of BM's period, it's more unmedieval to not have them than it is to go a little outside of that period for actual prominent nobility to join mercenary ventures and allow this to be player driven.

Edit: And that doesn't mean that these mercenaries can't be scorned for being landless and fighting for gold. Others don't have to see us as upright citizens, we're not. We don't aspire to become lord or duke of a realm, we're happy being knights and fighting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:22:02 PM by Lorgan »