Author Topic: Company of the Black Sun  (Read 13012 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Company of the Black Sun
« Topic Start: March 03, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
Dwilight(BM?)'s first mercenary company has been founded in Outer Giask.

Captain General Kamron Lorganson is now scouring the continent for warriors who wish naught but battles, gold and the finer things in life.

Abandon your life of boredom and responsibilities for one of adventure and perpetual war now and get a barrel of Dragon's Spit for FREE upon signing your contract!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Company of the Black Sun
« Reply #1: March 03, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »
So...you're angling to get force-deported, then, are you?

Mercenaries led by high nobles are not SMA. This is absolutely, 100% inappropriate for Dwilight.

Which I'm reasonably sure I've told you before.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #2: March 03, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »

Mercenaries led by high nobles are not SMA. This is absolutely, 100% inappropriate for Dwilight.

The first well organised mercenaries in Italy were the Ventura Companies of Duke Werner von Urslingen and Count Konrad von Landau. Werner’s company differed from other mercenary companies because its code of military justice imposed discipline and an equal division of the contract’s income.

Tell that to the Italians.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 03, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
The first well organised mercenaries in Italy were the Ventura Companies of Duke Werner von Urslingen and Count Konrad von Landau.
That dude was born after 1300, which puts him outside BattleMaster's target time frame of 700-1300.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: March 03, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
would you consider the hundred years war a medieval conflict?

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 03, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »

Why on earth would this be an SMA violation?
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
would you consider the hundred years war a medieval conflict?
My opinion as to whether or not something is "medieval" is irrelevant. I'm no medieval scholar or authority. But if it didn't happen during the period of approximately 700-1300, you shouldn't use it as justification for things that are appropriate for Dwilight. (That time frame is somewhere on the wiki...) There are, obviously, exceptions to all rules. But that time period is a good guideline to what can and cannot be considered as "justifiable" for SMA.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 03, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
SMA has absolutely nothing to do with historical accuracy. It has to do with atmosphere, people.

Can any of you point to me anything in the guidelines that would be violated by this? Because I've been looking through them for the last twenty minutes and still haven't found anything.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 03, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
I'm not trying to claim it is acceptable or not. I'm just commenting about the time period used for examples.

As for the mercenary thing, I'm fairly certain that Tom has said in the past that the noble-led mercenary thing is not acceptable, and he has vetoed all attempts to allow such a thing to be easier or officially implemented. There's no way I'm going to be able to find a quote, so I'm going to stay out of the debate on this topic.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 03, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
I'm not trying to claim it is acceptable or not. I'm just commenting about the time period used for examples.

As for the mercenary thing, I'm fairly certain that Tom has said in the past that the noble-led mercenary thing is not acceptable, and he has vetoed all attempts to allow such a thing to be easier or officially implemented. There's no way I'm going to be able to find a quote, so I'm going to stay out of the debate on this topic.

I would note that this can be seen in the fact that a mercenary army that's part of a realm will have a very hard time actually operating as a mercenary army without explicit diplomatic support from the realm—in other words, if you want to be at war with a realm that you've been hired to fight, you need your realm to declare war on them.

And if you've been hired to fight a realm that's an ally of an ally...what are you going to do?

(And that's not even considering the other side—how will you fight alongside someone you've been hired to defend without your realm allying with them?)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: March 03, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »
I would note that this can be seen in the fact that a mercenary army that's part of a realm will have a very hard time actually operating as a mercenary army without explicit diplomatic support from the realm—in other words, if you want to be at war with a realm that you've been hired to fight, you need your realm to declare war on them.

And if you've been hired to fight a realm that's an ally of an ally...what are you going to do?

(And that's not even considering the other side—how will you fight alongside someone you've been hired to defend without your realm allying with them?)

I believe Lorgan's idea is to join a realm that hired his mercs which is very different from what Darka did.

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 03, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
Can I hire you as more fodder for the Orvandeaux Battailon Etrangere? We like our foreigner soldiers.

Lychaon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 03, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
Do you like challenges? Join Barca to create the "Legion for Barcan Liberation" to help us to fight for freedom against the tyrannical Aurvandilians!  :P

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 03, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »
Whats your prices?
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 03, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
Whats your prices?
That is the proper response.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton