Author Topic: Daylight Savings Time?  (Read 4077 times)

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
Daylight Savings Time?
« Topic Start: March 11, 2013, 05:33:14 AM »
Everybody's clocks seemed to move forward one hour, but I don't think Battlemaster's time changed. At least it did not today. Should it? Or are we going to be very medieval about time and say 'there was no daylight savings back in the 13th century' and leave it at that? Or is daylight savings not internationally recognized enough to be put into an international game?

It's not a big deal, just a little inconvenient to change the times I look at Battlemaster during the day.
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Daylight Savings Time?
« Reply #1: March 11, 2013, 05:38:14 AM »
The US's clocks changed.  Maybe Canada's.  Europe's have not yet.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: March 11, 2013, 05:55:16 AM »
The US's clocks changed.  Maybe Canada's.  Europe's have not yet.

Canada's changed as well.

anoobowner

• Knight
  • Vorash Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 11, 2013, 06:03:13 AM »
Ah, if thats true then I am just being America-centric. I guess that strange hour drag effect would only happen in the West twice a year.
VORASH FAMILY: Protheon--Riombara | Prospero--Morek | Pamela--Caergoth

"The thing with computer-generated imagery is that it's an incredibly powerful tool for making better visual effects. But I believe in an absolute difference between animation and photography." - Christopher Nolan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: March 11, 2013, 06:16:34 AM »
Trust me, it throws me off too. :P

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 11, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
Clocks in western europe go forward by one hour on the 31st of March, I believe. Battlemaster's time will change then, if things are going as normal.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: March 11, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
Or is daylight savings not internationally recognized enough to be put into an international game?

On the contrary, DST is too fragmented world-wide, with places going on and off DST at different times. Europe (and thus, BattleMaster) will enter DST on March 31st. You'll notice the warning on the login page a day or two before.

If you ask me, that's just one more reason to abolish DST altogether, but as long as it exists, BM will follow it. On the european schedule.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 11, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
I'm not a fan of DST.  One of Canadian provinces decided long ago to abolish it, I guess they believe the farmers will still wake up and tend their crops.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 12, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »
America, FTW.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 12, 2013, 05:57:16 AM »
DST is annoying In the end the number applied to a given period of the day just does not matter all that much. Heck, to that end I would love to see the world as a whole switch to UTC and abolish time zones. They are such an annoyance! (I am mostly serious here!)

Eirikr

« Reply #10: March 12, 2013, 06:28:57 AM »
I agree with abolishing DST... It made sense a long time ago when electricity first came into use; it did help to save power (as the time is intended to adjust such that we take advantage of the sunlight rather than light the dark ourselves). Nowadays, though, the math shows that it actually has the opposite impact. (I'll get the article that had some explanation of the math if you'd like.)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 12, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »
I agree with abolishing DST... It made sense a long time ago when electricity first came into use; it did help to save power (as the time is intended to adjust such that we take advantage of the sunlight rather than light the dark ourselves). Nowadays, though, the math shows that it actually has the opposite impact. (I'll get the article that had some explanation of the math if you'd like.)

Not to mention the loss of productivity on everyone who shows up an hour late to work every time it jumps forward!  :P
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 13, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »
Not to mention the loss of productivity on everyone who shows up an hour late to work every time it jumps forward!  :P
Much more loss of productivity not because of that one hour, but the sleep change.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton