Author Topic: "Normal" Tax Rates  (Read 11858 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
"Normal" Tax Rates
« Topic Start: March 08, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »
So, the game says that a "normal" tax rate is 10%, but I've never run a region at only 10% tax. While you can leave a region at 10% and it will literally never have any issues, you're essentially wasting free gold.

I've found you can run a 14-15% tax rate in most places without any additional problems.

You can run an even higher tax rate of 17-19% depending upon region location, and still only have to occasionally hold courts as far as I am aware.

Meanwhile, pushing your region over 20% I've seen as fairly common as long as you are willing to hold regular (or daily) court sessions.

So, I'm curious as to what people consider a "Normal" tax rate, and what you run your own regions at and for what reasons.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: "Normal" Tax Rates
« Reply #1: March 08, 2013, 10:11:01 AM »
So, I'm curious as to what people consider a "Normal" tax rate, and what you run your own regions at and for what reasons.

14%, 15% and 16%, in order of the likelihood that a monster horde would decide to make the region their homes for a few days. Higher taxes would mean I would need to come back sometimes or ask a courtier to help once in a while.

I tend to agree that 15% is pretty normal, 10% is really low. However I also remember that before the new system came in, I ran knightless regions at 11-12%; only regions with full coverage could handle 15% without work.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 08, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
Yeah, about 16% if you want the region to self-regulate. You can get more though, with just a  bit of attention. Pretty much what vonGenf said. I will be trying for 22% in a region soon, see how it does.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 08, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
I run both of my regions at 19% and never have to hold court.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 08, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
I run both of my regions at 19% and never have to hold court.

How close is it to the capital, and what do the people around you tax?

My region is quite far from the capital (Skalk on Atamara, CE)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 08, 2013, 04:54:08 PM »
Comparing these numbers across islands is not useful, guys. Acceptable tax rates vary between them.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 08, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
Comparing these numbers across islands is not useful, guys. Acceptable tax rates vary between them.

Really? That's a surprise to me. How? Why?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 08, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »
Really? That's a surprise to me. How? Why?

A continent's realm size average, perhaps.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 08, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
A continent's realm size average, perhaps.

I know the 'acceptable tax rate' varies from one realm to another depending on its size. Why should it vary according to other realms' size?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 08, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
I know the 'acceptable tax rate' varies from one realm to another depending on its size. Why should it vary according to other realms' size?

Because, as far as I know, the continent's average realm size is taken into consideration. I'm not sure if acceptable taxes are linear to realm size alone, but rather to the realm's size as opposed to the average.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 08, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
Because, as far as I know, the continent's average realm size is taken into consideration. I'm not sure if acceptable taxes are linear to realm size alone, but rather to the realm's size as opposed to the average.

And this is to ensure that acceptable taxes are not dramatically higher or lower on one continent or another simply because the continent supports larger or smaller realms in general. It means that on average, acceptable taxes should be pretty comparable from one continent to another.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 08, 2013, 06:26:47 PM »
How close is it to the capital, and what do the people around you tax?

My region is quite far from the capital (Skalk on Atamara, CE)

One region is right next to the capital, the other is three regions removed. In both cases the other Lords of the realm have very low tax rates, generally 8-12% would be my guess.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 08, 2013, 07:16:42 PM »
I run my capital-city in a small realm at 20% right now; considering a bump up to 25% or 30% as long as we're at peace.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: March 08, 2013, 10:51:30 PM »
Pretty sure you can't go higher than 25%

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 11, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
So, I just increased my region's tax rate from 19% to 22% and instead of "peasants complaining of high taxes"

I'm now getting this response: "Taxes are too high, hurting production and trade."

My production dropped 6% in one day in addition to a 10% morale drop.

The morale drop I can deal with, and can fix with regular courts. I was expecting it, but I wasn't expecting the production drop. Is that going to be normal? I figure I probably can't maintain these levels of taxes if it is even if I keep morale above 90%.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."