Author Topic: Manually changing realm name  (Read 11196 times)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Manually changing realm name
« Topic Start: March 12, 2013, 12:21:30 AM »
Greetings all. I have approached Tom with a plea for manually changing a realm name. Since realm names can only be chosen when seceding, it is impossible to change the name after certain interesting in game events happen. Tom has requested a forum topic to be opened in regards to this. I quote: I'm not sure if I've ever done a manual realm rename. I am very, very reluctant to do it. At the very least, I'd like to have a forum topic where more than one voice can be heard.

So, here's a long story short. Few years back a realm named Niselur has been founded on Dwilight. Boreal Arrakis was the founder and the first King of this realm. The realm was short-lived though, for the monsters tore it apart after the King died. Fast forwarding to present: the legacy of Niselur has been resurrected, although under a name of Iashalur and by a different monarch. Now, the heir of King Boreal has returned, and he overthrew the usurper and declared himself a King. But what good is a kingdom that doesn't bear the name of his forefather's legacy?

We have a very unique role-playing setting here: two royal houses that battled for a right to rule. Old royalists of Niselur won, and the heir of the first King has been crowned as King. The lands he now controls are the exact lands Niselur once possessed. I personally feel that there is no great harm to be made in accepting to manually change the name, while it simultaneously it would make a perfect in game sense. I am aware it might become a precedent, however, the reasons for name change are heavily rp-driven and real, in-game history supports this request.

What do you think?
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Daimall

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Manually changing realm name
« Reply #1: March 12, 2013, 12:37:46 AM »
To be honest, I think it was less of a battle and more of one guy sneaking up on another and kicking him off the balcony.  :P

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »
I know, but it is more epic when you put it the other way around. :D
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Manually changing realm namg
« Reply #3: March 12, 2013, 12:42:46 AM »
In certain circumstances, I don't think it's a bad idea. It has happened before, when Xinhai was renamed to Morek Empire.

However, I do think there needs to be some pretty strict limitations on it. the current situation in Iashalur is interesting. If Leopold can keep the throne, then it may be worthy of a name change to Niselur, which was founded by his relative years ago. That is far from certain so far, so it would deserve some kind of waiting period. But then what happens if Turin leads a campaign to take it back? Can he change the name back to Iashalur? Will we get into ping-ponging name changes?

Also, I think there should be some slight variation to the new name, and not just a duplication of the old name.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

Re: Manually changing realm namg
« Reply #4: March 12, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
Also, I think there should be some slight variation to the new name, and not just a duplication of the old name.

Maybe Astrocracy of Niselur ;)

Jimgerdes

• Noble Lord
  • There is no cow level
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #5: March 12, 2013, 01:38:42 AM »
Maybe you could submit a form providing an in-game reason and then Tom could approve them all himself?

Just a thought.
No man is an island, unto himself.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 12, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
Maybe you could submit a form providing an in-game reason and then Tom could approve them all himself?

Just a thought.
It will likely be done that way, if it is done, but should it be allowed? In what circumstances? Pretty sure he wants a forum topic so the players can decide on this, instead of it just being a decision from above.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 12, 2013, 02:05:03 AM »
I think this should be allowed. Even with minimal restrictions. How often would if really happen? Not all that often I don't think. And if it does, so what? What harm does that honestly cause? All it does is harm that realm's reputation of stability, which it should.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 12, 2013, 02:18:39 AM »
Morek had changed its name to Xinhai for a while, before returning for Morek Empire, did they not?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 12, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
Morek had changed its name to Xinhai for a while, before returning for Morek Empire, did they not?

Not exatly. There was Morek, and then a part seceded to make Xinhai (and then the rest of Morek followed to Xinhai), and then from Xinhai seceded Morek Empire (and then the rest of Xinhai followed to Morek Empire).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 12, 2013, 02:31:25 AM »
Close. The city of Donghaiwei seceded from Morek to form Xinhai. Later when Xinhai had expanded and recovered all the territory that the pld Morek had, and more, Tom granted their request and manually changed their name to Morek Empire. He would not let them use the prior name verbatim, having them make a small change.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 12, 2013, 05:28:06 AM »
I agree. I wouldn't object to it if the Ruler in question (Arrakis in this case) can hold on the throne for a bit and there's some sort of general acceptance within the Realm to change the name (To avoid a powerplay that is going to be turned over immediately). I'd have the same opinion on Realm Government Type though, especially as you can set the Elections to mimic any system anyway (It shouldn't be easy, but it should be possible beyond setting up Rebellions or Secessions). I'm not sure if others agree with that, and I believe Realm Names fall in the same area of change. If it's not too much effort, I'd say such changes would be accompanied with quite some confusion amongst the peasants and unrest.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 12, 2013, 05:50:17 AM »
I personally see no reason not to allow the change. I would even support the idea of this option being available to any ruler who has held office longer than X days. As has been mentioned before, the only harm is a loss of that realms reputation of stability. Go for it!

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: March 12, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »

Absolutely not. If it happens, it will be a very, very rare manual event, and providing an in-game form would create the impression it's something common.

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 12, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »
I have no problem with it but make it cost a good amount of gold and cause some unrest in the realm.