Author Topic: [OOC] What options for a newbie starting out in Colonies?  (Read 5059 times)

Retsmah

Hello,

I am totally new to Battlemaster and looking to start a noble in the Colonies on account of the only-one-turn-per-day feature.

So I need to pick a realm to start in, but find it difficult to research the current state of realms and the Colonies myself. Any advice or other info, opinionated or not, on which realms are suitable for a new player and which oppertunities they offer, will be most welcome.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
If you are for war and fast increase honor/prestige to command more men in battle, come join Lukon/Oritolon. Minas Thalion and Outer Tilog are not that bad either. If you are for strange custom, Outer Tilog is the way to go.

Both Lukon/Oritolon are big realms on Colonies, with each of the realm commanding 3 cities.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Retsmah

come join Lukon/Oritolon.
Lukon and Oritolon are at war, right? So you mean I pick a side and join?

If you are for strange custom, Outer Tilog is the way to go.
Strange Custom? By all means elaborate.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Strange Custom? By all means elaborate.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Outer_Tilog_(Realm)

This page is certainly quite outdated but gives an idea of the flavour of the realm.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
You should also be aware that Minas Thalion and the Assassins are both crippled realms. They have limited access to many of the game's features and you probably wouldn't have much to do in them. I know that my time spent in those realms was basically spent waiting in a rural region for months on end.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
Once the war between Lukon and Oritolon has completed there is likely to be a big change in things on the Colonies as well and all realm realms (Assassins I'm expecting to get back to a sensible level of strength, Minas Thingamewhatsit I'm not so optimistic for :) ).

For action now, go join Lukon or Oritolon. If you're content to just slowly get used to things, pick anywhere, there will be opportunities for everyone soon (disclaimer: 'soon' in relation to the Colonies could mean real time year or so...)

Outer Tilog: some love it, some hate it.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Lukon roleplay themselves as barbarians and their army is known as the Horde. They have been having their way with the rest of the Colonies for as long as anybody can remember and ought to be one of the most feared realms in all BattleMaster. Not many who have crossed Lukon have survived to tell the tale.

Oritolon is a republic that often has a lot of internal politics and skulduggery going on. It can be a lot of fun, but it is an acquired taste and has meant long periods of peace in the past. Not a problem now though because Oritolon is in a life-or-death struggle with Lukon as Queen Valakyrie tries to install herself as Empress of the Colonies. Oritolon's nobility hasn't been this united in a cause in a generation!

Wherever you end up, hope you enjoy it and if you don't like it, don't hesitate to try your hand elsewhere. There might be somewhere more suited to your tastes.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Hey!  Just my 2 cents worth... but OT, Oritolon, or Lukon would be the best places to start.  OT you will have the best chance at being insane... where as in Lukon you would just be crazy.  jk

My advice follows the lead of the others posting here... Oritolon and Lukon have the most action currently.  That will help you build up your honor and prestige and get you situation and educated on the history of the Colonies... where we have been, what we have learned and where (Lukon) believes we are heading.

Just remember that the Colonies are slow.  Some times it takes a few days for action to spring up.  So we try to find other ways to stay busy...  Lukon does not have a ton of Role Play.  Everyone does ok staying to the mindset of the realm but most do not write out long role play about things going on.  Some events we will write a little bit but it is all up to the player and time available.  After all...we are in the colonies because of time restraints...so it makes sense not to judge someone on RP.

For a brief personal history I can provide a link or two but it will all be from Lukon perspective (or my own)

Retsmah

Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful & interesting replies! Based on which I decided to join Oritolon to fight on (what I perceive as) the underdog's side in a big war.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Good choice.  Either would have been good.