Author Topic: Priest protection  (Read 4237 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Priest protection
« Topic Start: March 12, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
I now am attempting to play a priest for the first time.  And would like to know how certain things work before catastrophic things happen to my newly "reborn" character.  My warrior characters have been mugged when not accompanied by soldiers, but I understand that this will not happen to my priest (as much?). 
Is there any chance of it occurring? 

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Priest protection
« Reply #1: March 12, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
Yes, it can happen, see this thread for example:

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3126.0.html
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Does it have anything to do with the number of followers in the region?  One would think that the protection priests get would depend on whether the people around him believe he is holy. 
If this is not actually the case, it should be, and it really should be the main factor, no?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 12, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
Does it have anything to do with the number of followers in the region?  One would think that the protection priests get would depend on whether the people around him believe he is holy. 
If this is not actually the case, it should be, and it really should be the main factor, no?

That's a completely different thing. Each time you preach (or perform another religious action) in a region where there are followers of a religion that considers yours evil, there is a chance they will form a mob and beat you up. This does depend on the number and nature of believers in the region. However, this has nothing to do with the random muggings that unitless warriors can sometimes suffer, and ultimately this is always triggered by the priest's own actions.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 12, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »
Well, as a normal noble I got mugged within about 2 days of dropping my unit, and carrying only about 850 gold (on the very same turn that I was about to cash them in. And I lost more half).

Whereas previously as a priest, I carried 1600 for several weeks without incident.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 12, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
Random things are like that. Random.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 12, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
Well, as a normal noble I got mugged within about 2 days of dropping my unit, and carrying only about 850 gold (on the very same turn that I was about to cash them in. And I lost more half).

Whereas previously as a priest, I carried 1600 for several weeks without incident.

From experience, I would say it is less likely to happen as a priest, but it does not mean it never happens.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 12, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »

...Only 850, huh?

I've struggled to keep around 100 gold handy with each of my characters. Even then, I tend to split some of it into bonds for an emergency stash. You more established folk need to quit walking around jingling your pockets.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

egamma

« Reply #8: March 13, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »
Yeah, 850 gold is a huge amount to be carrying around without a bodyguard. That is the weekly taxes of about 14000 peasants. Or to put it another way, 19 years of income for two peasants. That is a huge amount of money! Would you carry 19 years of your income around with you? That's equivalent to carrying one million dollars in cash with you.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 13, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »
Yeah, 850 gold is a huge amount to be carrying around without a bodyguard. That is the weekly taxes of about 14000 peasants. Or to put it another way, 19 years of income for two peasants. That is a huge amount of money! Would you carry 19 years of your income around with you? That's equivalent to carrying one million dollars in cash with you.
With bodyguards I would, which a priest or any unitless noble should be able to have, but can't.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 13, 2013, 03:17:45 AM »
So put it in bonds, those can't get stolen.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #11: March 13, 2013, 03:52:57 AM »
My priests usually carry several hundred  gold around so I can enlarge temples at will.  Suppose I could have a templar ferry gold around...  But they are sooo slow.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 13, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
...Only 850, huh?

I've struggled to keep around 100 gold handy with each of my characters. Even then, I tend to split some of it into bonds for an emergency stash. You more established folk need to quit walking around jingling your pockets.

Hehe, the funny thing is that this is my newest character, and he won the election for the region unopposed. 850 is gold from about two taxes. It really just depends on the situation on whether you have gold to spare.

On a different slant to getting robbed: anyone know about what size gold coins were? I would imagine 850 would need a chest to carry them. Would be quite interesting to know. I must look it up, would be interesting to see what people find also.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 13, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florin_%28Italian_coin%29

The Florin is a pretty solid example to use. 1 Fl = roughly $200 USD. 850 gold is like walking around with 170000 USD. Yes, I think I'll rob your priest.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 13, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »
Well, yes, they are worth a lot of money. But I don't think that most of them were very large.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.