Author Topic: Weather and Scout  (Read 2970 times)

Zakilevo

Weather and Scout
« Topic Start: April 12, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »
I do not know how the current weather system works but I think scouts should be able to determine what will be the weather going to be like before the battle. In the scout report, scouts should add something like 'it is cloudy, most likely rain' or 'very windy'. And also maybe scouts should not be able to check the CS of enemy armies? It would make marshals think more if they can only see number of enemies rather then be able to check how strong they are by looking at CS (this sounds like a scouter from dragon ball :P)

Maybe I am asking too much but a windy weather condition should shorten the range of archers. In a rainy or rainy condition, archers with the front setting should do more damage to units then ones with the middle setting.

+Of course, the weather condition can change. Scouts might predict it is going to rain but they could be wrong :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:13:24 AM by Tony J »

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Weather and Scout
« Reply #1: April 12, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »
That would be very, very handy...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 12, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »
So the scouts would report what the weather is going to be at the start of the next turn? I'm just guessing here, but I suspect as it stands, the game doesn't generate the weather conditions for a battle until the turn the battle occurs in. In fact it is possible that the game generates weather only when it runs the battle code itself.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: April 12, 2011, 01:15:02 AM »
Well if that is the case this whole idea should be just dumped lol

egamma

« Reply #4: April 12, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »
It would be nice if the seasons and harvest report would make certain weather conditions more likely.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 12, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »
yes very good idea, very handy, increases depth of game and adds more strategy.

However, back in the days weather reports where a hudnred times more unreliable then they now are.
You can only say what the weather will do in the next 12 hours or so.
24 hours ahead is already very vague.
There are several signs the scout could translate into a prediction, but these signs only say something about how the current weather is evolving, not taking into acount where the low and high presure fields exactly are and how they will be moving.  You can only say which direction the pressure fields approximate are at that time.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: April 12, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Yes. We still can't tell its going to rain tomorrow or not :) So I doubt people in the medieval age had a good method of figuring this out. (except old grannies with amazing skills to tell when it's going to rain :))

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 12, 2011, 02:26:01 PM »
It would be nice if the seasons and harvest report would make certain weather conditions more likely.

I seem to recall some quote or other from Tom on the Dlist to the effect that they do. I do't know that anyone has really done any kind of study or detailed analysis of it, though. But let's face it, weather prediction is a chancy thing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.