Author Topic: Male/Female characters, what's the IG difference?  (Read 8855 times)

Retsmah

Excepting forms of address, what are the ingame differences between male and fenale toons?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
None. The game doesn't care about your gender. Yes I know that isn't very medieval.

Retsmah

No it isn't, though there have been exceptions such as Thyra and Margrethe I, both of Denmark.

Just wanted to know this before I create a female (if I do).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
None. The game doesn't care about your gender. Yes I know that isn't very medieval.

Meh, it isn't that bad... Sexism got worse in the renaissance, with the rise of the bourgeoisie. In the middle ages, blood mattered more than sex, and there were plenty of very powerful women in society. Queens and Imperatrices everywhere. As we play high nobles, I really don't think that it is particularly un-medieval to have gender equality.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Meh, it isn't that bad... Sexism got worse in the renaissance, with the rise of the bourgeoisie. In the middle ages, blood mattered more than sex, and there were plenty of very powerful women in society. Queens and Imperatrices everywhere. As we play high nobles, I really don't think that it is particularly un-medieval to have gender equality.

But did you have any that were troop leaders? barring Jeanne D'Arc, I can't think of any.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Retsmah

But did you have any that were troop leaders? barring Jeanne D'Arc, I can't think of any.
Thyra and Margrethe I, both mentioned above, were warrior queens.

Thyra, spouse of King Gorm, built (or at least reinforced) Dannevirke, a defensive installation for the protection of Danish lands against the Teutons, around 1000 CE. Incidentally Dannevirke was last used as intended as late as 1864.

Margrethe I, a ruling queen, united (for a time) Sweden, Denmark and Norway. She's known for the Stockholm Bloodbath where she lured the entire Swedish nobility with promises of free booze, then had them massacred.

Also, Scandinavian women appear to have had their rights, roles and responsibilities abrogated with the arrival of the faith of The White Christ in Scandinavia. Here's the Norwegian Wikipedia entry on Shield Maidens (you can feed it to Translate yourself). Shield maidens are in the sagas, and there's an acoount of several women in the army of Kiev at a 971 battle against Byzantium.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Caterina Sforza (Duchess of Forlì and Imola) trained her own militia and fought wars against Venice, France and the Borgia Papacy. On one occasion she famously strapped on a sword and rode at the head of her men to seize Castel Sant Angelo to prevent the election of a new pope: she was seven months pregnant at the time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Plenty of examples. Sure, they might not have been the "norm", but neither are female characters in BM, the vast majority of characters being male. As such, I think that gender issues, in BM, are close enough to how things were in medieval times RL.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

In the British countries, from 1000 AD onwards:

Aethelflaed, Lady of Mercia.
Emma, Countess of Norfolk.
Matilda of Ramsbury.
Nicola de la Haye, High Sheriff of Lincolnshire.
Isobel MacDuff, Countess of Buchan.
Lady Agnes Randolph.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Plenty of interesting examples, thanks!
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Thyra and Margrethe I, both mentioned above, were warrior queens.

Thyra, spouse of King Gorm, built (or at least reinforced) Dannevirke, a defensive installation for the protection of Danish lands against the Teutons, around 1000 CE. Incidentally Dannevirke was last used as intended as late as 1864.

Margrethe I, a ruling queen, united (for a time) Sweden, Denmark and Norway. She's known for the Stockholm Bloodbath where she lured the entire Swedish nobility with promises of free booze, then had them massacred.

Also, Scandinavian women appear to have had their rights, roles and responsibilities abrogated with the arrival of the faith of The White Christ in Scandinavia. Here's the Norwegian Wikipedia entry on Shield Maidens (you can feed it to Translate yourself). Shield maidens are in the sagas, and there's an acoount of several women in the army of Kiev at a 971 battle against Byzantium.

You're mostly right but I think you're mixing your facts a little when you say Margaret I was known for the Stockholm bloodbath. She created the Kalmar Union (as you said, a united Sweden, Denmark, Norway and also Finland since Finland was a part of Sweden) in 1397.

The Stockholm bloodbath was in 1520. She had been dead for over a hundred years by that point. She died in 1412 by the plague. The one responsible for the bloodbath was Christian II of Denmark. He is still known as Christian the Tyrant in Sweden.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Erik always have a preference to appoint Ladies for his regions in Avamar instead of Lords.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Sarwell

• Knight
    • View Profile
Outside of roleplaying, nothing. Nothing at all. Coming from someone whose "main" character is female.

Beyond direct roleplaying, you could choose to, or subconsciously, play a sexist character who preferred one gender or the other when it came to voting, appointments, and so forth. I suppose.
Sarwell Family - Alna (Phantaria), Rosnan (Ohnar West), Julian (Strombran)
New female characters start with an extra 10% skill in cooking and in cleaning.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
;D
Ardet nec consumitur.