Author Topic: Changing duchy assignment for region  (Read 9509 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Changing duchy assignment for region
« Reply #15: March 20, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »
A region can't join a regionless duchy. You'll need to disband/delete your current duchy, and then if your region is a city or townsland, you might be able to make yourself duke.

Unfortunately, that is never true.

You can never "make yourself Duke" when creating a Duchy, because the only one who can make Dukes is the Ruler. And the Ruler cannot be a Lord without also being a Duke.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

« Reply #16: March 20, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
Unfortunately, that is never true.

You can never "make yourself Duke" when creating a Duchy, because the only one who can make Dukes is the Ruler. And the Ruler cannot be a Lord without also being a Duke.

...unless there's a bug like this one? I figure it would be worth a shot, and getting rid of the dukeship is the most logical first step.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 20, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
...unless there's a bug like this one? I figure it would be worth a shot, and getting rid of the dukeship is the most logical first step.

Once you step down from dukeship, if you are still Ruler, you will lose your Lordship.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #18: March 21, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
Once you step down from dukeship, if you are still Ruler, you will lose your Lordship.

Not immediately. As far as I can tell, the check is made at turn upkeep (maybe even an hour delayed, like the pause checks). So, if you can do it before the turn change, you could theoretically pull it off without the bug.

I wasn't aware that a region could not join a regionless duchy. If that's true, it seems very silly to allow the duchy to exist without any regions. The title provides no benefit without regions under it. Perhaps it would make sense to specifically add an option for the Duke to bring his region under him (unless it really is supposed to do this automatically).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 21, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
That option is pointless, as it's not supposed to be able to happen. The ways that it does happen need found and fixed.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 09, 2013, 03:09:24 AM »
Would it not be a good idea to make landless duchies gain the region if a duke is elected lord?  Also, is it ever going to be possible for lords to join a regionless duchy perhaps if they are in the same region as the duke, since he has no land to be in or border?  It just seems pointless to maintain a dead duchy otherwise, rp aside.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 09, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »
First off, I like the idea of a duchy with no regions. I would rather this continued to be possible. Secondly, once a duchy is created, why are there restrictions on regions joining/leaving? I would love to know more on the subject!

Eirikr

« Reply #22: April 15, 2013, 09:25:06 PM »
Would it not be a good idea to make landless duchies gain the region if a duke is elected lord?  Also, is it ever going to be possible for lords to join a regionless duchy perhaps if they are in the same region as the duke, since he has no land to be in or border?  It just seems pointless to maintain a dead duchy otherwise, rp aside.
As I understood it, that is how it is supposed to work when a duke is elected lord, from Indirik's comments in this thread.

That said, I never did submit a bug report for this. Should I?

Eirikr

« Reply #23: May 27, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
For the record, this is still happening. The only issue is this time, I'm not lord of a region that can be made into a Duchy. (Which, if someone has both the power and mercy, I'd ask them to reverse my dissolving of my Duchy...)

This also begs the question: If Duchies can be regionless and are no longer tied to a city, why must a Duchy be initiated in one of those specific types of regions?