Poll

Who will win?

Melhed
11 (19.6%)
Thalmarkin
45 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The War of Ice and Sun  (Read 128298 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The War of Ice and Sun
« Topic Start: March 19, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »
So, I figured this war needed a topic and decided to throw in something extra. :)
The poll will keep running and you can always change your vote so it can serve as a barometer for the war.

I also figured this war needed a name, so there we go.
On the left: Thalmarkin, realm of ice and bear (and wolves and eagles, I haven't forgotten about you guys!) on the right: Melhed, realm of sun and wolf.

A short explanation for the war:

Duke Outo Olavi Cosula, heir to the throne of Ar Agyr has laid claim to Melhed's capital of Agyr. Thalmarkin, itself heir to Ar Agyr, has overwhelmingly supported their Duke and declared war on Melhed.

Letter from Fingolfin Noldorin
 Message sent to the Rulers of Beluaterra (8 recipients)
 Rulers of Beluaterra,

I write you concerning serious matters. Thalmarkin has lived on the top of the continent for a long time, and we have seen many wars and invasions come and pass, being at the very heart of them several times. We have lived side by side with neighbours who are our allies and friends, but also with those we could have done without. If history has taught us anything, it is that the world needs strong and powerfull realms ready to act and take measures when the need is dire. History has taught us also that Melhed is none of these.

Too long have they sat on the riches of their ancestors and let times of war and invasion pass by without moving a finger. They are not worthy of their ancestors legacy, and they are not fit to rule their lands. We have all seen this for a long time, and the last few months have merely been the tip of the mountain that has made us prepare for war.

Thalmarkin intend to recreate a realm of warriors, upon the ashes of their forefathers. Ar Agyr died when abandonded by its allies, but I plan to once more let the realm thrive upon the riches that has been put into no use since their death.

Upon these words, Thalmarkin declare war upon the realm of Melhed. We have no goal in its total destruction, merely teaching them what war really is and distributing some of their regions to make them usefull for the world once more. Melhed has already been on the verge of attacking us twice the last year or so but backed out. Now there is no backing out to be had any longer.

Regards,

Fingolfin Noldorin
 King of Thalmarkin
 Royal of Thalmarkin

Letter from Yeux Serpentis 
 Message sent to the Rulers of Beluaterra
 Let's see what your "realm of warriors" can do, King Fingolfin. I'm sure I can teach you a lesson or two. Melhed will fight back theses bored thugs with honor to defend our borders. And be sure: if you began to lose, I will claim every region your realm received from our old glory until your friends of Old Grehk decide to save your people from the wolves. I don't care to burn Beluaterra to the ground to kick you back to the northern shores. Your claims for war is just to weak to be considered, then we will see what will happen in the battlefields.

Yeux Serpentis
 King of Melhed
 Royal of Melhed
 Duke of Agyr
 Priest of Bloodspeakers

And so it begins...

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Re: The War of Ice and Sun
« Reply #1: March 19, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
As grand son of half god Julma Jaune... why in the earth this is even discussed? Ofcourse Thalmarkin will win!

But this really should be intresting war... Unless other side for somereason fumbles hard or get theri spine snapped after initial spanking... first round went for Thalmarkin.

1-0
~Violence is always an option!~

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 19, 2013, 03:37:34 PM »
First up: battle in Lastfell. After a short staring competition between Thalmarkin in Tepmona and Melhed in Bil havil, Melhed attacked Lastfell, dispatching the militia there, Thalmarkin quickly set to the chase and dispatched them, while maintaining the TO in Tepmona.

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 19, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
It is hard to know.

It would be good if Melhed won, but as soon as Thalmarkin brings either OG or Sint to fight with them, Melhed is gone.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

NireusD.Natalle

• Noble Lord
  • Conan must truly be Conan The Destroyer..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 19, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
Why The War of Ice and Sun and not The war of Feather and Blood?
Nireus D.Natalle (East Island), Arianna Sherry (Beluaterra), Calista Syrenne (Dwilight), Charlotte Ava (Sunken Vur Hagin)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 19, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

Because George R. R. Martin
Ardet nec consumitur.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 19, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
It is hard to know.

I agree. Wealth and infrastructure on the one hand, nobles and tradition on the other. :)
And I'm really not kidding about that infrastructure thing... Melhed should know in what for a state we are after having sat in Lastfell for a day. And even if, we could never compete with them.

It would be good if Melhed won, but as soon as Thalmarkin brings either OG or Sint to fight with them, Melhed is gone.

Well, whether it's good if Melhed wins is quite debatable. ;)

Anyway, Thalmarkin has absolutely no desire to bring anyone into the war. This is a very personal war for us, it's a let out for all the frustrations that have built up over our alliance with Melhed for years and years without us being able to act on it. Now we finally can and we don't want anyone to ruin the moment.

Because religion may be an undertone of the war but it is not the reason. It's only one of the frustrations.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:11:26 PM by Lorgan »

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 19, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
Well, whether it's good if Melhed wins is quite debatable. ;)

I believe it is good since it would change a little the dynamic of the north, with Melhed rising to the same status as OG, Thalmarkin and Sint.

Now we just need to wait for the OGxSint war
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 19, 2013, 04:54:53 PM »
Because religion may be an undertone of the war but it is not the reason. It's only one of the frustrations.

It could definitely have gone the way of holy war, and Maya was champing at the bit to go that route, but the 'war of catharsis' is just as good a reason from a noble perspective. But poor poor peasants who must die by en masse for our designs.  ;)

The Battle of Lastfell was pretty epic. Though it was a defeat for Melhed, we did do some damage and wound the Thal king!

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 19, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Fingolfin breaks his hip going to get his mail; wounding him is no great feat. You did bring some pretty scary units though, and we got pretty lucky with your cavalry.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 19, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Time for Enzo to unpack his Battle Shorts and Goblet of Generalship (+2).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #11: March 19, 2013, 11:38:04 PM »
I'm glad that I immigrated from Talerium to Thalmarkin. Now this is a fun war!

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 20, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
Melhed will miss those RCs in Tepmona :)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 20, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
What happened to Annaej? Last I checked she was in Thalmarkin... I don't see her on the BT char page anymore.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 20, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »
What happened to Annaej? Last I checked she was in Thalmarkin... I don't see her on the BT char page anymore.

Died in the invasion.