Poll

Who will win?

Melhed
11 (19.6%)
Thalmarkin
45 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The War of Ice and Sun  (Read 129781 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: The War of Ice and Sun
« Reply #45: March 30, 2013, 01:32:22 PM »
Why The War of Ice and Sun and not The war of Feather and Blood?

oooo i like this one! There is really nothing sunny about Melhed

Or the War of Talon and Fang
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 06, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
If this war remains one-on-one it might prove to be a very interesting and long one. Currently, the war front is highly unforgiving and every single mistake is punishable. Furthermore, the space for maneuvering is very tight so any small holes that can occasionally be found are your best chance. It's intense and I like it.

If it remains one-on-one...for some reason I doubt that.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: April 07, 2013, 01:24:56 AM »
I hope it stays one on one. It's really been an interesting war so far, I believe we are currently stronger but it isn't easy to push the advantage, especially considering refitting doesn't hurt Melhed as much as it does us. All in all, I'd love to see where this goes. :)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 07, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »
I also hope it stay one-by-one.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 07, 2013, 01:50:09 AM »
second. #dontpigpilemyparty

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: April 07, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
I hope it stays one on one. It's really been an interesting war so far, I believe we are currently stronger but it isn't easy to push the advantage, especially considering refitting doesn't hurt Melhed as much as it does us. All in all, I'd love to see where this goes. :)

One on ones don't tend to last long after a clear advantage is achieved by either side, in most cases.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: April 07, 2013, 04:04:46 PM »
A good war takes time.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #52: April 07, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
What Cassus Belli could the other realms raise to join in the war, and for which side would they do so? As I saw it, Thalmarkin only had the barest reason to do so. But we've heard rumors of Fronen prepping for a land grab.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: April 07, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
As I saw it, Thalmarkin only had the barest reason to do so.

Man what island are you playing on? We had a variety of solid reasons to go to war even if our stated reason isn't satisfactory.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: April 07, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
Hah, i just noticed most of Thalmarkins players posting only. Enjoying yourself huh?

It's quite sad to see though people are so afraid of losing nowadays that this game is now not as fun anymore. I had the same thing in Aurvandil and now in Thalmarkin-Melhed. Disappointing.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: April 07, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
Hah, i just noticed most of Thalmarkins players posting only. Enjoying yourself huh?

Sure are. :)

It's quite sad to see though people are so afraid of losing nowadays that this game is now not as fun anymore. I had the same thing in Aurvandil and now in Thalmarkin-Melhed. Disappointing.

What are you talking about? Thalmarkin started this war before we even repaired our capital's walls, let stand all of the other infrastructure that still needs to be built in our emptied lands. We went to war with the absolute basic needs against a realm famous for it's unreal RCs and gold reserves. Sure we don't expect to lose but we sure didn't take every precaution we could against it. If we did... we'd have waited 5 more months and then brought the entire continent with us.
But we wanted war now and alone.

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: April 07, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
I am not talking about the war, infrastructures etc. I am talking about players that play this game. Look at how people moved away or migrated after war was declared. At least 5-6 nobles left Melhed. And the fact that all other realms are so afraid of getting on the wrong side of a war, shows how much they are afraid of losing. Look at how Fronen, Sint and even Nothoi. They won't get into a fight unless they are so sure allies are with them.

And YES, Thalmarkin will not get into this war if there's no OG support. Otherwise, Melhed would had fought Thals way before. And Thals knows that the other realms are to coward to join on Melhed - the underdog side.

Why i compare this with Aurvandil? Look at the amount of nobles there. All joined because of the power that they have. Because they are AFRAID of LOSING.

But don't bother me. I am just ranting. Have been doing it since Aurvandil... I was with Aurvandil though, until i had an exchange of OOC letters with them. Noticed how much they are afraid of losing.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: April 07, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »

I have to agree with you. I have a soft spot for the underdog so I'm really enjoying fighting on the side of Melhed in this war.

Lorgan, sorry, you're not getting any sympathy from me for Thalmarkin's 'unprepared' state. Look at the poll. It's pretty clear who has the advantage here. Doesn't mean the war won't be awesome.  ;)

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: April 07, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad there is finally war for Melhed. I would had take it to war if the thals did not. I have the same soft spot for the underdog. The reason why I am still there.

The thing is, I don't see melhed winning this war. Because it they do, all the other realms will join in on thals side. The thals said they prefer 1vs1 now because they have the advantage. Let's see if they say the same thing when they are losing. There will be call for the other realms to join, I can assure you.

As a matter of fact, what fun is there in destroying melhed? It's destined from the start that melhed will not win this war. If I am on thals side, I would had stir something maybe against OG instead. Look at what Cathay is doing to Arcaea. Now that's fun...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: April 08, 2013, 12:11:27 AM »
I thought the people who left Melhed did so because of the rebellion.
In my experience, war brings in more people even and well especially if there's the possibility of losing. Just look at Darka.

And yes, Melhed would have fought us before if it wasn't for our allies, but then that was also when we had less than one third of our max pop and could just barely field 10k, let stand afford a refit. The invasion didn't only devastate us, it also bankrupted us.

I'd also like to argue that the nobles who have joined us came to us because we try to create an interesting environment in our realm and have been continuously working on that for years. It's not for nothing that we were the ones taunting Overlord during the entire invasion and are the first to say "screw recovery, we want war and we want it now" afterwards. Maybe we just bore more easily. Either way, we do our best to attract more nobles and it seems to work. Ever since the Fourth Invasion we have had more nobles than most of comparable or even much greater size and war indeed boosted those numbers again. But you can never have too much nobles as far as I'm concerned. Especially when you're trying to colonize your enemy's capital. :)

But anyway, I agree that fears of losing the game, or dreams of winning the game are utter and complete delusions. There's no winning or losing. If your realm dies, you go somewhere else and start over. That's sort of how I came to Thal in the first place (though it's a little more complicated :) ) and I sure don't regret it. You can always find new places to enjoy. But there's not even any realm's life hanging in the balance here. At least not from where I'm sitting. What's the fun in destroying realms anyway? We'd lose a neighbour with whom we've got years and years of history. Friendship and hostility. The perfect candidate to screw us over and stab us in the back one day and give us a reason to defeat them again. (Hypothetically of course, we're not quite there yet the first time. :) ) Or turn it into a sort of Sith Master-Apprentice relationship. Because when it comes down to it, this war is most of all about which one of us has the biggest cock. :)