Poll

Who will win?

Melhed
11 (19.6%)
Thalmarkin
45 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The War of Ice and Sun  (Read 129799 times)

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
Re: The War of Ice and Sun
« Reply #60: April 08, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
Hah, i just noticed most of Thalmarkins players posting only. Enjoying yourself huh?

Do yourself a favor and go read through the Fifth Invasion thread. We were exactly as loud and proud when we were actively getting our !@#$ pushed in by the Overlord.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: April 08, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
Lorgan, sorry, you're not getting any sympathy from me for Thalmarkin's 'unprepared' state. Look at the poll. It's pretty clear who has the advantage here. Doesn't mean the war won't be awesome.  ;)

I'm not going for your sympathy. :) Just saying that if we feared losing, we could've gone into this way differently. But anyway, I think that at the moment this poll doesn't reflect the actual situation on the field. So far I've seen lots of even battles. And that's exactly why the war is awesome. :)

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: April 08, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »
I'm not going for your sympathy. :) Just saying that if we feared losing, we could've gone into this way differently. But anyway, I think that at the moment this poll doesn't reflect the actual situation on the field. So far I've seen lots of even battles. And that's exactly why the war is awesome. :)

I am not aiming at people that are just out to have fun. Like i said previously, it was those that are afraid of losing that i hate. Jumping ships, bandwagoning etc. If there's a full scale continent war now, that would be fun isn't it? But because of fear of losing, they just stop short at throwing insults. Just like what Melhed was doing before the invasions. I am not discrediting you for creating a fun environment. But i am sure you know there are people that joined because it's "fun" in a winning way. Haha. Okay, enough of trying to get the point across. To war now. :p

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: April 08, 2013, 03:42:03 AM »
You should try to get in our wagon gaming band :) (and I know the expression is wrong, but it just sound so good... :p)
We had fun, win or lose, just for the joy of the game. Of course, to win is amazing and we would like to win, but most of us, and I'm sure about that, like the excitement of finding new strategies and see how we are all committed to making the best of our kingdom.

When was the last time you saw a perfect movement from a army with one IG order? This is one thing we are proud of.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: April 08, 2013, 03:55:30 AM »
When was the last time you saw a perfect movement from a army with one IG order? This is one thing we are proud of.
They are all multis!!!!!!!!! Lock their accounts! :) (Just kidding of course)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: April 08, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »
Whats wrong with winning? It is not a shame to want to win! Its not a shame to afraid of losing... but it also not a shame to lose.

It is shame to be afraid of having fun!

-Jaune

~Violence is always an option!~

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: April 08, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »

Ohnar West vs those nasty Sartans  ;)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: April 08, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Since this is going to be a long, long war, I've started a page for it at wiki.

Anyone willing to help me?
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: April 08, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
I hope it stays one on one. It's really been an interesting war so far, I believe we are currently stronger but it isn't easy to push the advantage, especially considering refitting doesn't hurt Melhed as much as it does us. All in all, I'd love to see where this goes. :)
If you want it to remain one on one you need to actively work at keeping it one on one.  OG was in Lloringel, I know it was only one unit, but he was involved. 
As far as I am concerned his presence makes this war not one on one already.  Keep telling yourselves that it is though...

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: April 08, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »
If you want it to remain one on one you need to actively work at keeping it one on one.  OG was in Lloringel, I know it was only one unit, but he was involved. 
As far as I am concerned his presence makes this war not one on one already.  Keep telling yourselves that it is though...

He's been neutral in all the battles he's observed. And he's sitting in your regions, you complain about it.
Do you think that we would have had to ask if we wanted help? The whole continent is war-starved. If no one has joined in yet, it's because we have been actively keeping them off.

Noldorin

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: April 08, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »
Indeed. I have already denied 3 realms asking to join in the war, merely for keeping more fun in the war. If we acctually asked for help I doubt any less than 5 realms would be most eager to help. :) The wars is just half the game, while diplomacy is the rest... where Melhed has been quite unfortunate for a long time.

If you think the war is unfair I would suggest that you do something about rather than request us to do it. We are doing all we can already. You have the people to work with diplomacy and your case is not completly lost if you play your cards right. From what it seems though you have decided to become a bunker with all sticks pointing out, which will gain you nothing in the long run.

Concerning people being afraid of loosing... Melhed was very eager to start a war against Thalmarkin when we had literally no gold, almost no army and close to no proper RCs. Now the numbers are at least almost even, even though we have saved gold for 5 months rather than 5 years, while rebuilding our complete realm during this saving-period. Now that would have been a comfortable win indeed.

Im not sure how many people have left Melhed, but looking at the statistics it looks like 4-5 max. I know at least 2 of those leaving due to the revolution.
Everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: April 08, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
Thinking from the aspect of someone who plays in Melhed but is pretty clueless of foreign diplomacy performed by Yeux, I am slightly worried that there were so many who wanted to join on Thal's side and no one on Melhed's. I am pretty sure that if Melhed would somehow do the unthinkable and started to hurt Thal real bad, and even threaten to TO Unger, Thal's perception would probably change then as well, and no effort would then be made to actually stop these other realms from joining. I am pretty sure all these vultures that are waiting would come to the feast then.

This, without a doubt, puts Melhed in a no-way-to-win situation. We are like a caged gladiator of Beluaterra. You have joy in seeing us fight, but if we fight, win and try to escape, Beluaterra will cut us down. This...well, is not that great a position for Melhed. It offers short term fun for those who play in Melhed, but for those who may have long term plans and prospects, this probably isn't very attractive. Tis why so few new nobles joined Melhed, while Thal got an abundance.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: April 09, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for Melhed here. That realm has built itself a really lousy reputation over the past few years: the realm that sits around and does nothing while their allies/realms near them/the entire continent are fighting for their lives—and then, when they finally decide to do something, half the time (at least) it's something completely contrary to what most people actually want them to do.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: April 09, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
In Melhed, under the old regime, a group of characters agitated for war with Thalmarkin. They also largely aligned with the Bloodspeaker religion. After a rebellion, those people are now in charge. I know, IC and OOC, that these folks have been jonesing for war with Thal for awhile. To pretend otherwise is simply dishonest.

So, now that we've established the baseline, why should anyone in Melhed be surprised that Thalmarkin declared war? And why should they be surprised when the war escalates? Both realms signed a treaty effectively barring the influence of religion. And then Melhed's ruler attempts to overthrow two lords of Thalmarkin. Then they whine when Thalmarkin tears down their shrines.

All of this being indisputable, I'm kind of bemused. The forums are for the OOC analysis of IC events. IC propaganda has no place here.

Turner

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: April 09, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »

You might want to take note of the fact that OG is still at peace with Melhed. As far as I understand game mechanics, we would not participate but remain neutral in the engagements between Thal and Mel. Because Thal and Mel are close to OG borders, of course we have an interest in what is going on with this war. I hardly think having an observer present constitutes violating the one on one war that they want to have.

In regards to diplomacy, I think Melhed needs to work on this angle better. Just from OG's experience alone, I cannot speak for others, they havent exactly said or done anything to gather support or sympathy for them. Also the comments that Yeux made to the rulers about not caring and happy to burn Beluaterra to the ground, I dont think that would have sat very well with anyone. Perhaps they may want to reconsider their PR strategy and put a more friendly face to handle their diplomatic affairs.
Michael (BT) - Marcus (BT) - Antonious (EC) - Claudius (EC)