Poll

Who will win?

Melhed
11 (19.6%)
Thalmarkin
45 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: The War of Ice and Sun  (Read 129409 times)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
Re: The War of Ice and Sun
« Reply #75: April 09, 2013, 03:08:05 AM »
Thinking from the aspect of someone who plays in Melhed but is pretty clueless of foreign diplomacy performed by Yeux, I am slightly worried that there were so many who wanted to join on Thal's side and no one on Melhed's. I am pretty sure that if Melhed would somehow do the unthinkable and started to hurt Thal real bad, and even threaten to TO Unger, Thal's perception would probably change then as well, and no effort would then be made to actually stop these other realms from joining. I am pretty sure all these vultures that are waiting would come to the feast then.

This, without a doubt, puts Melhed in a no-way-to-win situation. We are like a caged gladiator of Beluaterra. You have joy in seeing us fight, but if we fight, win and try to escape, Beluaterra will cut us down. This...well, is not that great a position for Melhed. It offers short term fun for those who play in Melhed, but for those who may have long term plans and prospects, this probably isn't very attractive. Tis why so few new nobles joined Melhed, while Thal got an abundance.
#

Ahem. When Sorraine declared war on Ohnar West it had the military advantage and EVERYONE hated Ohnar West. No one wanted to lift a finger to help them and would have rejoiced in Ohnar's defeat.

But, despite having the lousiest propaganda starting point possible (betraying an ally, being populated by all the pariahs of the continent, etc.) they did a, frankly, brilliant job at using their reputation as the underdog to gain sympathy and to turn Sorraine into the bad guy. Couple that with some good strategy on their part and a tiny bit of luck, they were able to beat Sorraine and extract a heavy price in exchange for letting them live. And I say this as a guy who was one of the top people of Sorraine at the time.

So Melhed should stop whining about how it's so terribly unfair. They brought this on themselves but if they spent half as much time thinking and acting as they did complaining then they could win this war. But so far they've been doing a very good job of negating every advantage they might have - both militarily and diplomatically.

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: April 09, 2013, 04:05:57 AM »
So Melhed should stop whining about how it's so terribly unfair. They brought this on themselves but if they spent half as much time thinking and acting as they did complaining then they could win this war. But so far they've been doing a very good job of negating every advantage they might have - both militarily and diplomatically.

As I said previously, a lot of us like the underdog position, so we're not whining. Whatever floats up on the forums is a terrible indicator of things IG.

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: April 09, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »

This is not really a whine, but more the attempt to understand why Melhed didn't really receive any influx of nobles while it should have. Perhaps the new Queen can change this.

Levon isn't that greatly attached to Melhed, too, so I have no reason to rant about it for I got for what I came for: a lot of fighting without mixing myself with politics or emotions. The sometimes cruel and pretty reckless attitude that many in Melhed have towards themselves and towards the others are certainly not the ideal environment for a character like Levon, so I don't see this changing. I am more than willing to go with the flow and don't plan on leaving if Melhed can't win this.

P.S.
Your observation about our military failures are not very sound or logical, for you should probably ask yourself why you haven't yet been able to capitalize on the almost double number of nobles you have. I'd say Melhed's military has been performing from decent to mediocre so far.
Gregorian (Eponllyn), Baudouin (Cathay), Thaddeus (Cathay), Leopold (Niselur)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: April 09, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
P.S.
Your observation about our military failures are not very sound or logical, for you should probably ask yourself why you haven't yet been able to capitalize on the almost double number of nobles you have. I'd say Melhed's military has been performing from decent to mediocre so far.

I'll give it a shot. During the invasion, Thalmarkin took a beating second only to Enweil. Probably 75% of the regions, cities included, are still recovering. All the nobles in the world mean little if you can't adequately outfit them. What's Melhed's recruiting target up to now? 1,500CS per noble? Melhed emerged from the invasion almost wholly untouched after probably 5 RL years of peace. Sure, the Daimons came for her capital. And Thalmarkin saved it. You guys are literally driving around a muscle car compared to the tricycle held together with duct tape that Fingolfin calls Thalmarkin (sorry Gondolin, couldn't resist!).  ;)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: April 09, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
The statistics show the economy strength of Melhed and Thal to be fairly even before the war, whereas prior to the war Thal's income grew substantially due to the many investments you were making. Kudos for that.

Perhaps your regions are much underdeveloped, however, you have a whole lot more of them. Those badlands you own in the north are great gold producers, so I am not really sure that the statement you make really stands. Thal has 8 regions more than Melhed, and even if half of them are not at full production the sheer number of your regions is probably earning you much more gold than the fewer, albeit richer regions that Melhed has. At the worst scenario, I'd say it's about even, and I think the statistics chart proves this. :)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: April 09, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »
If Thal is literally producing as much gold as Melhed, then Enzo will start executing people in the street for crappy use of resources. The realm definitely suffers from a lack of infrastructure. Most of it fell apart during the invasion. The received wisdom in Thal is that Melhed has a ton of gold and really good RCs—both good advantages to have—that make the war competitive.

This has been a nice, indecisive war so far. The folks that run Thal were clamoring for a challenge, and so far they're getting it. When Ivagil was general, there was an understanding between him and Enzo that the two of them were almost certainly going to be on opposite sides of a war in the future. They were competitors, but exchanged a lot of information freely and occasionally gossiped about the politics. I want that relationship for Levon and Enzo.  :'(

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: April 09, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »
Sorry, but I don't have much sympathy for Melhed here. That realm has built itself a really lousy reputation over the past few years: the realm that sits around and does nothing while their allies/realms near them/the entire continent are fighting for their lives—and then, when they finally decide to do something, half the time (at least) it's something completely contrary to what most people actually want them to do.

This would be my observation as well. Melhed has had an absolutely terrible public face for years. Melhed has been, by turns, both dislikable and coldly indifferent.

When in a hole, the best policy is usually to stop digging. Then you have to lift yourself out of it. Trust me, this can be very difficult, but by the sound of it Melhed's not even trying, which makes Arrakis' observation something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: April 09, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
I'm stepping down as King of Melhed to let the young people take care.

I have to agree with many points about Melhed. I enjoyed the letter I received from Enzo, but he didn't answer back. Also, I have to thanks Noldorin/Fingolfin for keep this a 1x1 war. When Yeux spoke about burn Beluaterra, he's being true as I'm, because it's very sad to see a great continent where everyone wants to jump in this war instead seek their own wars against eachother. As I can see, a bunch of cowards trying to win some regions just to please the Northern Alliance while Thalmarkin is doing the job. It's like to have a continent with just two realms and a bunch of vultures waiting for easy profit or worse... with too much fear to fight someone else.

I don't have time to play as King as Melhed deserve. Also, I have hope to win the election in Sirion, my favorite realm.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: April 09, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
I enjoyed the letter I received from Enzo, but he didn't answer back.

Aww farts. I had that flagged, and then probably unflagged it when I thought I had replied. Sorry about that. :-( Yeux's was good, too! And for what it's worth, under the current regime and the Bloodspeakers, Melhed's been more active in six months than in six years.  ;D

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: April 10, 2013, 12:09:57 AM »
Aww farts. I had that flagged, and then probably unflagged it when I thought I had replied. Sorry about that. :-( Yeux's was good, too! And for what it's worth, under the current regime and the Bloodspeakers, Melhed's been more active in six months than in six years.  ;D

Solari is right, the rebellion definitely livened up Melhed a lot, though we lost some people because of it. Yeux was a great personality to start a Melite monarchy. Guess the next monarch's job is to see it survive. ;)

Arrakis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: April 10, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
When Ivagil was general, there was an understanding between him and Enzo that the two of them were almost certainly going to be on opposite sides of a war in the future. They were competitors, but exchanged a lot of information freely and occasionally gossiped about the politics. I want that relationship for Levon and Enzo.  :'(

Enzo speaks funny and in 3rd person. Levon is wondering what devilry is this! :D

Disturbedyang

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: April 10, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »

Exactly. Look at all the comments. Non of us in melhed are really complaining about the war. We enjoyed it as much as the thals. But the fact is there despite the refusal to admit it. The others will join in as soon as melhed gets an advantage and the thals will allow it for FEAR of LOSING.

Stop complaining about lack of infrastructure and golds. We do have the infrastructures but no we have never have any pillings of golds. I'm sure the golds the thals get every tax collections are more than melhed. And the fact that more nobles to support the units are more important than having the golds. Look at aurvandil.

And stop being a hypocrite. You guys want melhed to be an idle realm. Admit it. Because the moment yeux tried to change it, you guys were so afraid of it and all of a sudden you guys want to oppose that. So everything you guys said and complained are so contradicting.

Nobody cares if melhed lose. Not even those in melhed. Because we are glad we are finally out of the oppression and into the war. Thanks partly to the thals for starting the war before the melites do.

May the best realm wins :) good luck thalmarkins.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: April 10, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
May the best realm wins :) good luck thalmarkins.

You make a lot of assumptions, most of them incorrect, unflattering, or kind of insulting. So I'm just gonna skip over that and wish the same.  ;)

Noldorin

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: April 10, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »
Well, I wont... :)

Stop complaining about lack of infrastructure and golds. We do have the infrastructures but no we have never have any pillings of golds. I'm sure the golds the thals get every tax collections are more than melhed. And the fact that more nobles to support the units are more important than having the golds. Look at aurvandil.

If Melhed doesnt have 100k gold in their coffers, it is because the dukes and rulers have used the gold for their families and sent it to other chars. Such a realm doesnt really deserve to live, at least not on Beluaterra.

And, the reason we (thalmarkin) didnt like Yeuz new rule is because the he is leader of the Bloodspeakers and the one pushing the Bloodspeakers into power. Bloodspeakers and known enemies of Thalmarkin. Also, we would most likely have pushed for war anyway, since this is exactly what we wanted... war. From what ive seen IG and here as well, Melhed wanted the same. You could never have hoped for more than a 1 on 1, so this should be your most ultimate dream.

But well, I agree on you upon letting the best realm win. Thalmarkin will stop other realms from entering the war as long as it doesnt severly damage our diplomatics. Our neighbours want in on the war and we are saying no, but we are not gonna refuse them if its gonna make us suffer in the future. This is Melheds problem, and they are the ones who need to make changes, not us.

Yeux is stepping down, and i hope the new queen will be a good diplomat. She surely needs it. If im gonna give any hints, I would suggest reaching out to Enweil, Sint and Nothoi :p
Everything in my own immediate experience supports my deep belief that I am the absolute center of the universe, the realest, most vivid and important person in existence.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: April 10, 2013, 04:52:57 PM »
If Melhed doesnt have 100k gold in their coffers, it is because the dukes and rulers have used the gold for their families and sent it to other chars. Such a realm doesnt really deserve to live, at least not on Beluaterra.

It seems I'm the only one taking care of save gold. I'm used to it since Sirion.
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!