Author Topic: New Continent? Permadeath/mandatory charcater slot?  (Read 20302 times)

sharkattack

• Knight
    • View Profile
CUT

I would agree, lack of action, be that lack of RP, In Realm communication or Wars is making new players quit the game after week or so. To be honest if i was not in a realm that loves to make wars i would left BM few days after i joined. Some people love RP some love to fight. But if there is lack of any for a long time people just get bored and quit.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:05:05 AM by sharkattack »

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

The problem that is holding people back is:

Ruler of Realm A deliberates launching war against Realm B, in response Realm B + Realm C + Realm D and E and F and G invade and annihilate Realm A. Therefore, ruler of Realm A will never ever ever in his entire reign declare war on Realm B.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Zakilevo

How about implementing a game mechanic to prevent realms from declaring war on a realm that is already facing enemies twice of their total CS?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Yeah, because *that's* not totally gameable...

I don't know what the best solution to this problem is, but I don't think artificial and obvious game mechanics like that are the right way to go.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Zakilevo

Well unless something gets added, people will never stop gangbanging one realm whenever they can :p If you believe players will do that on their on, you are dreaming. Players will never let a chance like that pass by. Why attack alone when you have five allies to help you.

How about when multiple realms attack one region together, make them less efficient.

Attackers
Realm one = 100% CS   
Ally one = 75% CS
Ally two = 50% CS

The problem will be deciding which realm to be the 'first realm' that will not suffer from the penalty.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Well unless something gets added, people will never stop gangbanging one realm whenever they can :p If you believe players will do that on their on, you are dreaming. Players will never let a chance like that pass by. Why attack alone when you have five allies to help you.

How about when multiple realms attack one region together, make them less efficient.

Attackers
Realm one = 100% CS   
Ally one = 75% CS
Ally two = 50% CS

The problem will be deciding which realm to be the 'first realm' that will not suffer from the penalty.
He did not say he thought the players would simply stop ganging up on other realms, but that the suggestion would not work nor do I see this as being something to fix it. Don't worry, these things are being thought about though.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Maybe it would be interesting to make a 'realm morale'. It would affect the realm in some ways, putting up (or down) taxes, or making more easy rebellions if too low, or some kind of bonus/malus...

Things would push up and down this morale: If you gain or loss regions, or battles. Starvations, looting, monsters, etc... would push it down, while Official religions and/or sacred wars (nothing better than to declare war against a heathen realm) would push it up... If you declare war against a bigger realm would put it down, but if you win a battle against it, it would put it up a lot... there are many possibilities!

It could be a flexible and somewhat realistic mechanism to push realms in the 'right way'...

Gustav Kuriga

Maybe it would be interesting to make a 'realm morale'. It would affect the realm in some ways, putting up (or down) taxes, or making more easy rebellions if too low, or some kind of bonus/malus...

Things would push up and down this morale: If you gain or loss regions, or battles. Starvations, looting, monsters, etc... would push it down, while Official religions and/or sacred wars (nothing better than to declare war against a heathen realm) would push it up... If you declare war against a bigger realm would put it down, but if you win a battle against it, it would put it up a lot... there are many possibilities!

It could be a flexible and somewhat realistic mechanism to push realms in the 'right way'...

As if we don't have enough trouble getting wars started as is...

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
If one really thinks about it, a war is very easy to muster up. Fighting a war, winning a war, are different stories.

See, I was thinking of throwing a new dynamic (a new bone) into the mix but I don't think anybody would go for it on account of the leash the old dynamic has on everyone.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
If one really thinks about it, a war is very easy to muster up. Fighting a war, winning a war, are different stories.

See, I was thinking of throwing a new dynamic (a new bone) into the mix but I don't think anybody would go for it on account of the leash the old dynamic has on everyone.
The second and third point make the first one false, unless you are being ridiculous and saying because all that has to be done is have the player of the ruler click the button it is easy to actually do. People are much too forgiving about things because they don't want to fight a war since the normal penalty of losing a war is death or a large loss of land for the realm, the only case I can think of that not being true is with Terran's war where they also prevented a gangbang to happen.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

The sympathy works roughly that way already. The peasants of your regions are unhappy if you are allied with people they don't like, and happy if you declare war on them. Diplomats can switch this sympathy.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
As if we don't have enough trouble getting wars started as is...

Oh, Nothing is better for the morale of a realm than declare war against a hateful enemy! A war would push up a lot the realm morale... at least until the first battles... and if you win them, much better for the morale!  ;D All people loves heroic Kings!

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The sympathy works roughly that way already. The peasants of your regions are unhappy if you are allied with people they don't like, and happy if you declare war on them. Diplomats can switch this sympathy.

mmm.... I didn't know, then maybe it could be good to make this a bit more 'visible' (and maybe more powerful). Some kind of inform for the King or the Council about the 'morale situation' of the realm.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
mmm.... I didn't know, then maybe it could be good to make this a bit more 'visible' (and maybe more powerful). Some kind of inform for the King or the Council about the 'morale situation' of the realm.

You are informed every turn about the region you have an estate in. Sympathy can vary by region.

e.g.:

Regional Report for Montijo   (1 day, 6 hours ago)
message to the lord and knights of Montijo

The locals do not understand how you can be allied with Caligus.

If Sirion was at war with Caligus, the stats would raise in Montijo. I think morale is mostly affected, maybe loyalty?
After all it's a roleplaying game.