Author Topic: Family Wealth  (Read 4797 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Family Wealth
« Topic Start: March 20, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »
So, I've been scouring the forums for a bit searching for information on family wealth.

To me it seems that family wealth is largely useless. There are very limited things you can do with family wealth that I can see, AND relatively recently they expanded the cap to 20k. So, I'm wondering if there were also any additions to what family wealth can be used for.

Can anyone help me better understand the uses of the family wealth system? Also, if anyone knows if there are any new uses that arise from thresholds in the 10k-20k range that'd be cool to know as well.

From what I know, family wealth can be used/is primarily used for these things:

1. Region investments
2. Asking for gold from family when broke
3. Purchasing city services with family bribe
4. Getting out of jail
5. Putting a bounty on someone's head
6. Purchase region lordships from enemy realms.

Is there anything else? I remember there being an option to purchase region lordships, but AFAIK this was removed a while back.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 01:42:35 AM by Dante Silverfire »
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Family Wealth
« Reply #1: March 20, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »
Something related to buying lordships was used, but i know the entire feature was not. I also know there are new things that can be done within the 10k-20k but I believe Tom has said that he will not be sharing what that is though obviously players with that much family gold could tell us.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 20, 2013, 01:00:13 AM »
It used to be possible to buy region lordships within your realm. Now it is only possible to buy the region of a foreign realm.

However, it is possible to do so in a sneakier manner (making it revolt to your realm at the turn, rather than just going over instantly).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 20, 2013, 01:04:33 AM »
I also know there are new things that can be done within the 10k-20k but I believe Tom has said that he will not be sharing what that is though obviously players with that much family gold could tell us.

I realize that. This is of course focused at players who may have figured out some of that stuff. I find the wiki badly outdated.

It used to be possible to buy region lordships within your realm. Now it is only possible to buy the region of a foreign realm.

However, it is possible to do so in a sneakier manner (making it revolt to your realm at the turn, rather than just going over instantly).

Okay, I had thought that feature was removed entirely based upon my reading of old forum posts. Something about it being hard to transfer the code or some such. I'd see that as a very useful feature, (including the in-realm part), but I had known that part was gone for a while.

Does that particular feature become more likely to succeed based upon having more family gold?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 20, 2013, 01:41:07 AM »
1. Region investments
3. Purchasing city services with family bribe
4. Getting out of jail

After all it's a roleplaying game.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 23, 2013, 10:41:29 PM »

oh that remind me, i need to put a bounty on my own head so i feel important.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 15, 2013, 04:48:06 AM »
To me it seems that family wealth is largely useless.

W h a t ??  :o

Being able to call on gold in all emergencies is pretty darn good  8) With that said, it is of course fun the more you can do with it. I just mainly use it to call on money, not much else seems worthwhile enough.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 15, 2013, 06:39:13 AM »
You can on ocassion get the option to funnel golds to increase Independence movements within the home region of your family.

See Relak family history, or just believe the following.

2010-07-08      Gregor      Banned from Ibladesh by -.
Reason: Financed rebels in Al Arab

Gregor dumped the entire 10k (max at the time) into the rebellion.  The game said that it was well spent, but that the large sum was noticed (hence the ban, but hey a record of it being done! I was fame chasing, it didn't give me fame sadly)  The region didn't even budge, I asked some players there and they said they didn't notice one bit.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 15, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Greatly helps sympathy, though.

But yea, I don't think it has significant effects, even if the region's in bad shape.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: April 15, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Gregor dumped the entire 10k (max at the time) into the rebellion.  The game said that it was well spent, but that the large sum was noticed (hence the ban, but hey a record of it being done! I was fame chasing, it didn't give me fame sadly)  The region didn't even budge, I asked some players there and they said they didn't notice one bit.

If the region is at 0 independence, it won't do much. But in a less stable region, it can easily push it over the edge.

We wouldn't want people to be so destructive with money alone, but tipping the balance is just the right thing. :-)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 15, 2013, 11:35:53 PM »
If the region is at 0 independence, it won't do much. But in a less stable region, it can easily push it over the edge.

We wouldn't want people to be so destructive with money alone, but tipping the balance is just the right thing. :-)
Personally, I see nothing wrong with being able to revolt a region when 10k gold is used to do so, regardless of prior conditions.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 16, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »
Personally, I see nothing wrong with being able to revolt a region when 10k gold is used to do so, regardless of prior conditions.

Same. Otherwise, may as well use that 10k to hire troops and invade. Odds are the battle alone will cause more damage than the rebel financing, even if the attack itself is a suicide.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 16, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »

I do.

If I'm lord of a city region, I'd like to be able to be given a chance to stop it at least. Perhaps a 1 turn warning.

Something like drop all of the control and loyalty stats to nothing, but still give the lord a chance to prevent it (OR to pay off the rebels to prevent it) in some manner. Otherwise, it is kind of dumb.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 16, 2013, 12:56:08 AM »

That said though Tom, it's rare enough that I can count on one digit how many times I've seen the link to do it!  I would've liked at least enough to take it from 0 to protests against the government that people would have to deal with in a day or two.  But, eh, since its so rare I doubt anyone would want it prioritized over any other things like I don't know M&F =)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 16, 2013, 12:57:24 AM »
I do.

If I'm lord of a city region, I'd like to be able to be given a chance to stop it at least. Perhaps a 1 turn warning.

Something like drop all of the control and loyalty stats to nothing, but still give the lord a chance to prevent it (OR to pay off the rebels to prevent it) in some manner. Otherwise, it is kind of dumb.

You can always deal with rebels when they start to protest, usually it's about a day or two even with 100% against you.  See all the brutal takeovers of regions where there is 0% sympathy and 100% independence.