Author Topic: Region Economy rebalance  (Read 33945 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Region Economy rebalance
« Reply #30: April 04, 2013, 01:20:15 AM »
So....apparently this wasn't the April Fool's Joke. But, the beginning of April is now... Anyone else excited and wondering when it'll go live? (I assume soon)

^ban^ is working on getting it finalized. I don't expect it'll be much longer.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: May 18, 2013, 01:55:16 PM »
So, over a month later... when's this coming live? We are about to get a serious starvation on our hand, and this should be the season where we worry about these kinds of thing the least.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: May 18, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
So, over a month later... when's this coming live? We are about to get a serious starvation on our hand, and this should be the season where we worry about these kinds of thing the least.

With ^ban^ having finished exams, we should be able to put the finishing touches on it within the next week or so.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: June 09, 2013, 08:42:56 AM »
cough

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: June 09, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
*embarrassed little laugh*

...Yeah, this kinda slipped. But it slipped because we really want to take into consideration the criticisms people have been making here, and, unfortunately, ^ban^ (who's really been spearheading it) has been having much less time lately due to getting a new job and moving in RL.

We're very close to being able to call it done, but I'd very, very much rather have this take another month or two than have it go live and cause loads of problems.
Timothy Collett

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: June 09, 2013, 04:47:18 PM »
I'm curious, what sort of criticisms were considered relevant?

To me, it had seemed that people were primarily upset when their own personal regions were hurt, and less so when looking and overall balance. When players looked at overall balance, each one seemed to think it was a good idea.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: June 09, 2013, 08:12:21 PM »
I'm curious, what sort of criticisms were considered relevant?

To me, it had seemed that people were primarily upset when their own personal regions were hurt, and less so when looking and overall balance. When players looked at overall balance, each one seemed to think it was a good idea.

There are some problems with low-population cities, and problems with very-low-population-density regions. We also noticed some discrepancies between the version of the rebalance whose numbers you are seeing and the version that ^ban^ had carefully hashed out, and are working to rectify them.

It is important to us that the rebalance not reduce the overall fun potential of the game, nor reduce the overall fun potential of significant areas of any continent. (Small areas and individual regions, however, will still end up getting nerfed.)
Timothy Collett

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: June 10, 2013, 01:32:42 AM »
There are some problems with low-population cities, and problems with very-low-population-density regions. We also noticed some discrepancies between the version of the rebalance whose numbers you are seeing and the version that ^ban^ had carefully hashed out, and are working to rectify them.

It is important to us that the rebalance not reduce the overall fun potential of the game, nor reduce the overall fun potential of significant areas of any continent. (Small areas and individual regions, however, will still end up getting nerfed.)

I'm mainly curious how the algoritm "thinks". It was said before that closeness to water was "a good thing" gold-wise? How about mountains? On some islands, mountain regions (metal working considered I guess) are among the richest while on at least Dwilight (maybe others?) they are among the poorest.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: June 10, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »
Dwilight mountains are poor partially due to the low population. We are considering increasing them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: June 10, 2013, 07:11:41 AM »
Dwilight mountains are poor partially due to the low population. We are considering increasing them.

The Divides would thank you. So far, those useless regions will become more useless with the rebalance.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: June 10, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
I hope that the economy rebalance won't increase global gold supplies. Gold is plentiful enough -- what with so many families reaching the wealth cap so soon after it was raised -- it would unbalance things further if gold supplies were increased.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: June 10, 2013, 01:26:09 PM »
I hope that the economy rebalance won't increase global gold supplies. Gold is plentiful enough -- what with so many families reaching the wealth cap so soon after it was raised -- it would unbalance things further if gold supplies were increased.

As I believe has already been stated, the current version of the rebalance would increase gold supplies by around 10% on every continent.

Part of the reason for this is simply that if it did not provide a net increase, there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and many people would feel, that, no matter its long-term effects, it was a terrible, awful change just because it reduced the gold in their favourite areas.
Timothy Collett

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: June 10, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
MOAR GOLD!

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 12, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
As I believe has already been stated, the current version of the rebalance would increase gold supplies by around 10% on every continent.

Part of the reason for this is simply that if it did not provide a net increase, there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and many people would feel, that, no matter its long-term effects, it was a terrible, awful change just because it reduced the gold in their favourite areas.

The idea of having to offer a numerical carrot with every update has resulted in the average unit size moving from 300-400 CS to 600-1k, as wave after wave of estate updates heaped their numerical carrots on the back of the original design of travel times, repair times, honour limits etc.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:34:14 AM by Kai »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: June 12, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
The idea of having to offer a numerical carrot with every update has resulted in the average unit size moving from 300-400 CS to 600-1k, as wave after wave of estate updates heaped their numerical carrots on the back of the original design of travel times, repair times, honour limits etc.

If you can tell me why, in an objective way, this is wrong, I am willing to listen.

Personally, I have not been able to see any meaningful reason why it would be bad to boost the overall gold income, but I am perfectly willing to listen to potential problems it might raise.
Timothy Collett