Author Topic: Far East Sieges  (Read 3801 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Far East Sieges
« Topic Start: March 22, 2013, 07:20:37 AM »
I've been noticing that wars in the Far East seem to have very few successful city sieges compared to other islands and have been wondering why. In fact, aside from the Arcachon war, I can't think of the last time a city was successfully sieged since Kindara destroyed Cathay. And that was, what, a year and a half ago?

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Far East Sieges
« Reply #1: March 22, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »
People really despise fighting wars in the FEI, since they normally result in the destruction of the loser.  As a result, sieges tend to be few and far between.

But when there is a war, it does tend to be an bloody affair with massive sieges.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 22, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
The largest siege I ever saw in BM was on the FEI - to take Anacan from Antoza.

I know it's not the largest one in the game, but it was something like 50k CS versus 24k.

The trouble is that so many of the realms have roughly the same size armies, or else half of what everyone else has. If Cathay and Zonasa went at it, for instance, it'd be tough to fight to anything other than a stalemate. Add a realm to either side and then it's pretty lopsided, but then that's war.

Are things really that different on other continents? Dwilight seems to have bigger armies because every noble is a lord and some of the cities are a lot richer than the FEI.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 22, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
The largest siege I ever saw in BM was on the FEI - to take Anacan from Antoza.

I know it's not the largest one in the game, but it was something like 50k CS versus 24k.

Four times they came, and four times they broke. But not the fifth.
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Antoza_Commonwealth/Battle_of_Anacan
I remember that being a lot of fun.

I've been on FEI a long time, and I can't think of too many successful sieges. Kindara is an outlier because if I remember correctly, we successfully sieged and took Masahakon, Hatdhes, and Azros in a relatively short time.

When we fought Cathay, we only had two real opportunities to assault a city. One was at the very beginning before we'd had time to gear up and buy SEs. Second was when the whole realm got banned, and I didn't really want to take advantage of that. Pretty much all the time in between, the militia garrison was so large in Taop that we wouldn't have had much hope to win, even with all the mobile CS Kindara and Zonasa, if Cathay, or allies, managed to get even a small number of reinforcements to Taop.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 22, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Four times they came, and four times they broke. But not the fifth.

There aren't many around who were there for that. I still remember it though. It was really hard and took every bit of wheeling and dealing to get literally every other realm in on it. If you'd been in charge instead of Corey I doubt we'd have been able to pull it off, or at least not as successfully.

The only mistake I recall you making was that, after the fourth battle, you repaired the walls instead of replacing the militia. Had we lost the fifth time I suspect at least one realm would've said 'look, this ain't happening' and walked away.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 26, 2013, 07:11:56 AM »
The siege of Batesaor back in the days of Nighthelm was pretty large. Its been too many years for me to recall the numbers, but Batesaor was pretty well and doomed. The first war was over in a matter of days when Nighthelm launched a dual strike on both of Batesaor's rurals.

The second war was marked by the infamous "nature walk" Svunnetland and PoZ tried claiming they were taking in the direction of the Nighthelmian army taking Hutael. I believe colored blocks were used to explain Nighthelm's stance on the matter. Them were the days.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Smerbev

• Peasant
  • Family de Ravenal (formerly Frostnova)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 01, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »
There aren't many around who were there for that. I still remember it though. It was really hard and took every bit of wheeling and dealing to get literally every other realm in on it. If you'd been in charge instead of Corey I doubt we'd have been able to pull it off, or at least not as successfully.

I was there for that (Tharion). Spent much time planning with Galiard in an effort to convince Aenilia to join that war. Then spent even longer trying to organise all those armies. While the assaults on Anacan were spectacular, the real fight occurred afterwards at Taop ;) Assaulted it with limited forces and then suffered constant attacks for a week in an effort to halt any possible reinforcement at Anacan. I enjoyed that campaign. Far better than the miserable affair in Svunnetland that followed not too long after.