Author Topic: Banner Guidelines?  (Read 2819 times)

Eirikr

Banner Guidelines?
« Topic Start: March 17, 2013, 08:07:42 AM »
So a new realm just formed on Atamara and I happened to be bored and tried to make a banner. Before I finish, however, I need to know what the hard rules are for banners.

I've followed the Dwilight Contest guidelines (http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight_Realm_Banner_Contest) so far:

Technical Details
Icon:
24x24 pixels
8bit indexed .png with alpha channel
Banner:
Any size, within reason. Not too small, not too large. The rogue example banner is a good size.
.jpg or (only if jpg looks horrible) .png
black background

Are there any other things I should be doing? I remember seeing in a thread something about transparent pixels?

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Banner Guidelines?
« Reply #1: March 17, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
I  believe transparent pixels was for when the image was too small or something like that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 17, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »
Both icon and banner are now supposed to be PNGs with transparency. If the banner or icon takes up the entire image (ie, it is completely rectangular or square), then there is no need for transparency; however, if there is any part of the image itself that one ought to be able to see through to a background, it needs to be transparent.

The banner should not be larger than 200 pixels in either dimension.

The banner and icon must have different file names.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #3: March 17, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
Both icon and banner are now supposed to be PNGs with transparency. If the banner or icon takes up the entire image (ie, it is completely rectangular or square), then there is no need for transparency; however, if there is any part of the image itself that one ought to be able to see through to a background, it needs to be transparent.

The banner should not be larger than 200 pixels in either dimension.

The banner and icon must have different file names.

The icon must still be 24x24, yes?

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/File:Heorot.png
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/File:HeorotIcon.png

Those are the current versions.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:14:37 PM by Eirikr »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 17, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 21, 2013, 02:24:28 PM »
Well, Ender uploaded a banner for Heorot, and I had to reject it, because it used a JPG with a black background that was over twice the size of that banner.

If I've said that this particular image file is fine, why the devil would you upload a different one?
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 21, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »
Well, Ender uploaded a banner for Heorot, and I had to reject it, because it used a JPG with a black background that was over twice the size of that banner.
You didn't reject it because it's a giant badger head?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 21, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
You didn't reject it because it's a giant badger head?

The technical heraldic term is a "brock head". It's not even particularly giant, it's well proportioned to the shield.

(PS: not joking! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heraldic_charges#Predatory_Beasts)
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 21, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
My joke failed...

It was a reference to the Giant Badgers that inhabit Atamara and invade tournaments.

You whippersnappers. Get off my lawn!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #9: March 22, 2013, 12:39:51 AM »
My joke failed...

It was a reference to the Giant Badgers that inhabit Atamara and invade tournaments.

You whippersnappers. Get off my lawn!

And this is why it's on the shield! To identify whippersnappers!

I think Ender just got confused with the many versions up on the Wiki (I didn't take the old versions down). I'll send him the new ones IG.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 22, 2013, 02:03:34 AM »
I did pull the wrong ones by accident. I thought they looked off from the last I'd scene, but I was in a hurry when I did it.

I'm going to put the .png's up now.

Eirikr

« Reply #11: March 22, 2013, 05:33:10 AM »
I did pull the wrong ones by accident. I thought they looked off from the last I'd scene, but I was in a hurry when I did it.

I'm going to put the .png's up now.

Yay! I've contributed to the game in a highly visible fashion!