Author Topic: Sign up for a CK2 multiplayer game!  (Read 24944 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sign up for a CK2 multiplayer game!
« Reply #15: March 24, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
I'd prefer no ruler designer, but it doesn't really matter to me.

Fate is cruel when striking the genetic lottery. My strong genius midas touched heir, was a woman who did not ascend the throne until her 60th year. To her, three daughters were born. The first was slow, the second a dwarf, but the third was born a genius like her mother. I'd like to tell you that the third daughter was elected Queen upon her mother's death, but I am not a peddler of lies. The genius was brought low by an assassin, who had been hired by the envious dwarf. So ended the main line of House Yngling of Denmark.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 24, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »
If this game was intended as a direct competition between each other, I could see an argument for disallowing ruler designer. However, as far as I am aware, the idea isn't to just beat the other players. Therefore, if I use ruler designer, it doesn't negatively impact player A and player B in anyway. It just means that I get to have a game experience that I'd like more.

If player A wants to use ruler designer, but player B doesn't, they can each choose that path. I don't see anything wrong with such a distinction. It only really makes any difference for your first character anyway. The second and third generations will be much more random. Plus, Ruler designer has a distinct disadvantage: When you use it, you lose your in-game claims beyond your starting titles. This is one reason that I WANT to use it. Mainly because if I were to play Doux of Adrianopolis, it would be way to easy for me to become Basilus of the Byzantine empire because I'm the Emperor's first son. I'd much rather, have to work into that position while still playing a decently strong duke in the empire.

Finally, with ruler designer you can name your dynasty which is always nice in a multiplayer game.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 24, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »
I don't mind ruler designer being allowed either. It'd be good fun to see House Osha take over the Mediterranean! In fact, on that note, do checksums have to match up for people to play in multiplayer games? Mine hasn't been right ever since I wiped all my ruler designer rules >.<

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 28, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
I don't mind ruler designer being allowed either. It'd be good fun to see House Osha take over the Mediterranean! In fact, on that note, do checksums have to match up for people to play in multiplayer games? Mine hasn't been right ever since I wiped all my ruler designer rules >.<

Yes, the checksums must be the same.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 28, 2013, 09:00:46 AM »
Yeah, I'd vote for no Ruler Designer, but I might not be playing. Personally, I don't even let my character train any of my Son or Daughters just to avoid being able to finegroom him too easily, or make it dependent on my traits what I decide.

You know, if we played a multiplayer game with the GoT mod, this wouldn't be a problem! It's enticing, no?
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 28, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
You know, if we played a multiplayer game with the GoT mod, this wouldn't be a problem! It's enticing, no?

I vote aye. Dibs on House Manderly.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: March 28, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
Eh, I'd be out. I never really got into the GoT mod, but then again, my availability is limited as said, so please don't take too much value on that (Be pointless if you set up something with me in mind and then I can't come).

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 03, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
Seeing as finals are coming up, I don't really see myself able to play for more than a few days before committing to the grind. Does anyone have anything against playing at the beginning of May? I'll post a reminder towards the end of April, so we can plan a more precise day.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 04, 2013, 09:43:04 AM »
I would love to give this a try.

I'm GMT -5 (thought may be GMT -5) by the time I can play.

I have Thesis Defense coming up so probably won't be to available until after second week of May.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 04, 2013, 04:23:12 PM »
Drat, I'd love to do this, but won't have time.

I'd totally be the Byzantines. Nothing more fun that fighting off hordes of heathens and pagans while wrangling with fractious and embittered vassals.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 13, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »
I just got this the other day and am having a lot of fun with it. After a really slow start (started out as a Count, so couldn't expand my territory through inviting claimants and there were no frigging noblewomen in the whole of Ireland to marry/marry off and get claims that way), I'm finally in a position where I can create the Kingdom of Ireland (just need the gold). I particularly liked creating a plot to assassinate a Count (he hated me because I'd usurped his Duchy - understandable, really) so his far-more-open-to-being-my-vassal heir could take over.

First: Ireland. Next: Brittania!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:04:17 AM by Velax »

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 13, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
Dibs on King of Leon.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 13, 2013, 07:33:42 PM »
Slightly off topic, but I have a question about the way inheritance of titles works in CK2.

My character is King of Ireland. I have a half-brother who is Duke of Leinster (an Irish duchy), and also King of Galecia from (patrilineal) marriage to the Queen. His heir is heir to both Galecia and Leinster.

My question is, what will happen when my half-brother (or his wife) dies? Will his heir now be my vassal, bringing the Kingdom of Galecia into my realm? Or will the Duchy of Leinster leave my realm and join Galecia? Or will something else happen entirely?

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own question with some experimentation. The Duchy of Leinster joins Galecia when my half-brother dies. The question is why - perhaps because the Kingdom of Ireland and the Kingdom of Galecia are on equivalent levels, and one King can't be a vassal of another? I wonder if it would be different were I Emperor of Brittania. Then I could have vassal Kings.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:45:14 PM by Velax »

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 13, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »
Edit: Nevermind, answered my own question with some experimentation. The Duchy of Leinster joins Galecia when my half-brother dies. The question is why - perhaps because the Kingdom of Ireland and the Kingdom of Galecia are on equivalent levels, and one King can't be a vassal of another? I wonder if it would be different were I Emperor of Brittania. Then I could have vassal Kings.

Correct.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 14, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »
What do the King of Leon and the King of Scotland have in common? In my game its this: they're the same person. :p I started as King of Leon, and murdered my brothers to become King of Galecia and King of Castille. I married a Princess of Scotland, then died after having a single son. So I press my weak claim on the Kingdom of Scotland, hire up a ton of mercs and raise my levies. My 7000 man army went ahead and crushed scotland, and my mother became Queen. So I killed her. Then immediately put down a damn civil war. And now Muslims are getting uppity again!
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.