Author Topic: What is your greatest dream on Dwilight?  (Read 48412 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: What is your greatest dream on Dwilight?
« Reply #30: April 14, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
With the one noble rule, we'd have to probably double the current amount of players on Dwilight to get anywhere near that stage. There are simply some regions that are seriously hell to attempt to do without a large amount of support. Check Rettle/Twain/ville, Balance's Retreat, Sallowtown (Arguably not linked to BR because of West Divide and Desert of Silhouettes).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 14, 2011, 02:42:09 PM »
IMO, in order for Rettleville area to be colonized, Madina needs to get its act together, become an effective realm,. and pacify its home island. Let Aurvandil expand up the mainland toward Rettleville to pacify those lands. That will take the pressure of Rettleville area, so they can establish a good foothold. From there, the region can actually begin to grow and start to expand into the wilds.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 14, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »
IMO, in order for Rettleville area to be colonized, Madina needs to get its act together, become an effective realm,. and pacify its home island. Let Aurvandil expand up the mainland toward Rettleville to pacify those lands. That will take the pressure of Rettleville area, so they can establish a good foothold. From there, the region can actually begin to grow and start to expand into the wilds.

PRetty much, yeah. Until the deep south gets some kind of civilized order, establishing Barca will be a constant battle. Realistically, expansion beyond the Rettlewood periphery will be more than a little bit challenging for the Barcans, and every winter will be hell. If Aurvandil could pacify everything south of and incuding Lusitania and Evanburg, the task would be much, much simpler.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 14, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
.... Balance's Retreat...

I recently had a look at this place and some of the surrounding regions. Lets just say that they apparently don't have much mining potential...so gold would always be an issue.

...Sallowtown (Arguably not linked to BR because of West Divide and Desert of Silhouettes).

I was thinking about this. They would have to either have very good traders/suppliers, or somehow hold a part of the D'haran islands. But then why take Sallowtown when you can have Port Nebel?

And if there was another realm holding Port Nebel...well arguably, they would want the regions east of it!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:59:11 PM by Bael »

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #34: April 14, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »
Food is scarce in those regions as well. For BR, the stronghold isn't in too bad shape, and Alley of Swords is probably a self-sufficient badland. But those mountains? About 100 gold default, and even single digit barely double digit food production.

It's probably worse for Sallowtown as that is a city.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 14, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Food is scarce in those regions as well. For BR, the stronghold isn't in too bad shape, and Alley of Swords is probably a self-sufficient badland. But those mountains? About 100 gold default, and even single digit barely double digit food production.

The only regions in the game that are not capable of feeding themselves are cities.

I doubt Balance's Retreat will ever get settled Until (if?) the New Economy goes into play. There's just not enough in the area to make settling it a viable proposition. Once New Economy goes in, then some other realms may have the incentive to settle it. The stone and metals the mountains could produce would be vital to the entire southern half of Dwilight. (Flowrestown all the down and around to Madina, and probably D'Hara as well.) That kind of incentive could make these realms financially support a colonization of the stronghold.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 14, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »
The only regions in the game that are not capable of feeding themselves are cities.

I doubt Balance's Retreat will ever get settled Until (if?) the New Economy goes into play. There's just not enough in the area to make settling it a viable proposition. Once New Economy goes in, then some other realms may have the incentive to settle it. The stone and metals the mountains could produce would be vital to the entire southern half of Dwilight. (Flowrestown all the down and around to Madina, and probably D'Hara as well.) That kind of incentive could make these realms financially support a colonization of the stronghold.

That sounds really good. I was thinking that I should play a trader some time on Dwilight. With the new system in place it will have to be a priority!

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 14, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »

I agree with most of that except I believe that Madina, due to various circumstances, has taken a backseat role in the colonization of the Maroccidens. In fact, I believe the only way they'll return to former glory is if they ignore Aurvandil and the Candiels peninsula and for the time being focus on establishing stability within their island first and foremost. Besides, even if Madina had the infrastructure and power to assist Barca or any other potential colony they'd run into trouble due to the longtime tension between them and Terran/ D'hara.

Rather, if all the realms of the Maroccidens, including Aurvandil, continue to work together than Barca could eventually become (more or less) self-sufficient which would exponentially increase the possibility of a colonized South-West. But I think Barca is the key, they are in the most untamed part of the Maroccidens but their success could pacify the dangerous woodlands of that area which would lead to the mutual benefit of all realms in the area.

In essence I would have to say that a cooperative and fully colonized Maroccidens is my character's greatest dream on Dwilight. Conversely, my greatest fear (IC) is that the colonization of the entire SouthWest may provoke a Zuma attack.... (OOC I think that an attack by Zuma against the united human realms of the Southwest would be epic!)
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 14, 2011, 10:39:44 PM »
I agree with most of that except I believe that Madina, due to various circumstances, has taken a backseat role in the colonization of the Maroccidens. In fact, I believe the only way they'll return to former glory is if they ignore Aurvandil and the Candiels peninsula and for the time being focus on establishing stability within their island first and foremost.

That's pretty much what I said:

"Madina needs to get its act together, become an effective realm, and pacify its home island."

i.e. turn their attention back to their home island, and give up attacking Aurvandil. If Madina insists on attacking Aurvandil, it is quite possible that /both/ realms will fall to monster invasions. They have both recently lost regions to monster attacks, and I hear that Madina is getting an even bigger invasion.

Those rogue regions they have breed monsters like crazy. And on that island, they have nowhere to go except attack Madina.

Rather, if all the realms of the Maroccidens, including Aurvandil, continue to work together than Barca could eventually become (more or less) self-sufficient which would exponentially increase the possibility of a colonized South-West. But I think Barca is the key, they are in the most untamed part of the Maroccidens but their success could pacify the dangerous woodlands of that area which would lead to the mutual benefit of all realms in the area.

In essence I would have to say that a cooperative and fully colonized Maroccidens is my character's greatest dream on Dwilight. Conversely, my greatest fear (IC) is that the colonization of the entire SouthWest may provoke a Zuma attack.... (OOC I think that an attack by Zuma against the united human realms of the Southwest would be epic!)
[/quote]

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 14, 2011, 10:46:51 PM »
From where I'm standing (and that's up in Astrum so this is probably completely wrong) a lasting peace between Madina and Aurvandil seems pretty unlikely. I mean by making a duchy of Madina into an absolute monarchy didn't Aurvandil basically just spit on Madina's oh so cherished constitution?  Its hard to imagine an insult like that being ignored...

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 14, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
Yeah my apologies, when I first read that I assumed you meant Madina get their act together in the sense of unifying with Aurvandil, violently or otherwise, so they would be powerful enough to help colonize the Southwest. But I guess thats what happens when you assume....

From where I'm standing (and that's up in Astrum so this is probably completely wrong) a lasting peace between Madina and Aurvandil seems pretty unlikely. I mean by making a duchy of Madina into an absolute monarchy didn't Aurvandil basically just spit on Madina's oh so cherished constitution?  Its hard to imagine an insult like that being ignored...

As for that I would just say, is it an insult worth self destructing your realm over? Since, as Anaris has said, the Madinan isle is too dangerous to effectively fight a civil war and monsters simultaneously....

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 14, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »
As for that I would just say, is it an insult worth self destructing your realm over? Since, as Anaris has said, the Madinan isle is too dangerous to effectively fight a civil war and monsters simultaneously....

Of course any realm would choose survival over honour, however not attacking is not the same as making peace. Unless there is a serious risk of Aurvandil invading (I don't know what the political/military situation is with Aurvandil so I can't comment on the likelihood of that) I'd imagine the "war" to continue on paper while Madina sorts its rogues out.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 14, 2011, 11:26:38 PM »
Yes no doubt the war will continue on paper and maybe it must to satisfy their honor but the fact is that Madina, in it's current situation can't really afford to make even more enemies in the Southwest if they want to not just survive, but thrive. Of course, there's probably IC reasons that make it difficult for them to do an about face with Aurvandil (as you mentioned the whole spitting on the constitution thing)

also my observations are very much from the point of view of a third party. My character in Terran knows the gist of what's happening in the South but theres an obvious bias against Madina and he has little idea as to the innerworkings of their state apart from the fact that it seems to be on the brink of a breakdown

Darkgrave

• Freeman
  • I'm new. Play nice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: June 03, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
My Dream is that Madina will get it acts together and end up defeating Aurvandil and reclaiming its lands. I'd also quite like to have the Grand Duchy of Fissoa incorparated into the realm too. A sorta massivly powerful southern state.

And as a new player with no respect for tradition the first thing to go with be that bloody constitution....
I'm new here. Play nicely with me!

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #44: June 03, 2011, 11:13:46 PM »
To form a realm in Golden Farrow with Allison and destroy Caerwyn.