Author Topic: Terran Strategic Secession  (Read 6608 times)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Terran Strategic Secession
« Topic Start: March 23, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
Terran is in a war and their capitol was occupied and the walls were being tore down.  Their army is outside of the capitol to the north and cannot refit or recruit.  The northern Duchy secedes to found a new realm and regions from the old realm begin joining the new realm.

This is from the rules...
"Strategic secessions are prohibited. This means creating a new realm, through secession, in order to circumvent recruiting-in-capital-only restriction. Friendly secessions are okay. "

In a time a war when your capitol is occupied and you are continuing to fight at least 1 of the enemies you are war with isn't a secession like this a "Strategic Secession"?  Terran was done and out for the count.  They couldn't recruit and their capitol was occupied so they couldn't move their capitol.  Now they secede and are able to continue the fight...
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Terran Strategic Secession
« Reply #1: March 23, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
lol.

Yeah, this was not a strategic secession. There is tons of internal politicking going on right now: this was about a group of Terran's lords getting fed up with Terran's institutions and practices and, in at least some part, Hireshmont personally.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 23, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
But, in a time of war they had their capitol occupied.  Hireshmont wasn't the Ruler of the realm so why did they secede?  Now, the question is, are they going to continue the war with Asylon and Aurvandil?  If so, that essentially makes it a strategic secession.  If they are going to go for peace with all parties, then that is something entirely different.  At least in my opinion.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 23, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »
You can answer your question by answering another two questions:

1) Does any of this benefit the Republic of Terran, and
2) Is there going to be a new realm that is the same thing as the Republic of Terran but with a different name?

I don't have all the details but I think the answer to both of those is a resounding 'no.'

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 23, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
Does this benefit Terran?

Yes,  the nobles that were trapped outside of their capitol can now recruit and refit. 

Is there going to be a new realm that encompasses the same lands as Terran? 

That should be the question to ask.  Changing the internal make up and politics of Terran could have been done without a secession.  Will the new realm of Phantaria end up controlling most if not all the lands of Terran...  yes, I find that outcome to be quite likely.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 23, 2013, 10:05:46 PM »
The new realm does not want to war Aurvandil, that is one of the main sentiments of the secessionists, so we can drop this.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 23, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
yes, I find that outcome to be quite likely.

Then you have no idea what is going on.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 23, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »
Whether or not this was a strategic secession, bringing it here to the forums for discussion is the proper way to handle the issue, so thanks for starting the thread, dustole. Much better that just stewing about it privately, or engaging in excessive OOC griping IG.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 23, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »
Dustole, what you are quoting is general rules of thumb.

The rule against strategic secessions is not, "If a duchy secedes during a war, it is strategic and must be punished."

A group of disgruntled nobles seceding because they didn't agree with a war in the first place is both a perfectly reasonable scenario and a completely legitimate secession.

Whether or not it is the case, you are sounding very much like you're calling players liars in a misguided zeal to see enemies of your present realm punished OOC.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 24, 2013, 12:13:35 AM »
Whether or not it is the case, you are sounding very much like you're calling players liars in a misguided zeal to see enemies of your present realm punished OOC.

In what way did I even come close to calling anyone a liar? 

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 24, 2013, 12:15:38 AM »
In what way did I even come close to calling anyone a liar?

You've got multiple players directly involved in this telling you this is not in any way strategic, and you appear to be completely ignoring or dismissing their points.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 24, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »
You play with a bunch of multi-cheaters, and don't even mention a word about it, but, gasp, a realm you are occupying is splitting apart. THE HORROR! WHAT AWFUL CHEATERS THEY ARE!
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 24, 2013, 01:15:28 AM »
Let's keep it civil, people. Dustole is here to ask questions and clarify an event.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 24, 2013, 01:51:44 AM »
You've got multiple players directly involved in this telling you this is not in any way strategic, and you appear to be completely ignoring or dismissing their points.

I have my opinion and stated why I believe it. Just because your opinion is different does not make me automatically wrong.  We were in a similar situation with Morek and a capitol move years ago. We planned it IC and nade the ground work. War broke out and we asked Tom and he told us no. That is ot a perfect example n and i know i am biased

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 24, 2013, 02:08:40 AM »
You answered your own question. You planned it out.

This was not planned. Hardly anyone knew it was going to happen.

Terran is out of control. There isn't any strategic anything going on.