Author Topic: How did this happen... made it to the ferry, then got captured?  (Read 2540 times)

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Can someone help me understand how this happened?  :-\

Travel Report   (1 day, 11 hours ago)
Your ferry is really fast and the captain navigates well. He makes very good way, reducing your travel time by 3 hours.

Captured!   (1 day, 11 hours ago)
You have been spotted and captured by enemy patrols.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Nabbed by the Coast Guard!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Something like that. There's nothing special about ferries that would make them magically immune to being captured.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Something like that. There's nothing special about ferries that would make them magically immune to being captured.

I would have thought that boarding a ferry would make someone more difficult to capture.  Yet I know that the game does not work that way.

I am just trying to imagine what actually happened to my character. So she boarded, got a good captain to go fast, and then got captured anyway, but her unit is still on board... or something.  Puzzling, huh?

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It's a good puzzle, isn't it? I'd offer the explanation that enemy guards (or who ever) saw you board the ferry and took over another ferry, ordering its captain to chase the ferry that you were sailing on (because there must be more than one ferry at each coast). An exciting chase followed, in which your ferry captain tried to outrun the chasing ferry captain, and your captain navigated so well that it took 3 hours off your journey. Unfortunately, the captain of the ferry that was chasing you also knew the coastal seas well, and managed to pull alongside your ferry. Enough of the enemy boarded your ferry to capture you, but not enough to capture your men. They then carried you off for your ransom value, but left your men behind.

The stories you can make out of two contradicting messages are amazing  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:28:55 PM by Foxglove »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I would have thought that boarding a ferry would make someone more difficult to capture.

What? Why? I would think it's exactly the opposite!

A region border that's all land-based would have to be policed by some absurd number of soldiers to get full coverage.

A region border that's at a ferry (or bridge, for that matter) just needs one small group of soldiers—basically, a customs patrol.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
I would have thought that boarding a ferry would make someone more difficult to capture.

If even one person knows you are on that ferry and rats you out, you are crazy easy to capture because there's nowhere to run and limited space to hide.