Author Topic: Please help - I hate my priest character  (Read 5141 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Please help - I hate my priest character
« Topic Start: March 24, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
I have a character who has been a priest, in a very religious realm, for over a year, and I'm bored to death with him.

I want to like him, I want to play him, but most often I just log in to check messages and confirm that the regions close by are at 90+ %

Am I alone here?

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Re: Please help - I hate my priest character
« Reply #1: March 24, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »
Get into politics.

Become more radical.

Root out heretics.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: March 24, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »
I have a character who has been a priest, in a very religious realm, for over a year, and I'm bored to death with him.

I want to like him, I want to play him, but most often I just log in to check messages and confirm that the regions close by are at 90+ %

Am I alone here?

Leave the religion and become a solider. Burn and pillage that religion back!

Or become a heretic! Twist the wordings of your religion and wreak havoc!

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 24, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »
It sounds like you don't have much to struggle against. The more you have to fight against, the more involved/immersed you'll feel toward your character.

Like the others have said, find something to do with some difficulty to it. Gather a group to go convert deep in heathen lands or schism the faith at home. Those are obvious choices, and I'm sure you could come up with something much more fun depending on the circumstances around your character.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 24, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
Root out heretics.

Become a heretic.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 24, 2013, 11:43:08 PM »

Am I alone here?

I don't remember the last time my priest actually preached...

Preaching is boring, leave that for people with low oratory skills that feel a need to prove themselves.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 24, 2013, 11:47:18 PM »
Priests should be one of the easiest characters to have fun with. Just start a religious war. Pick a likely religion that your members already don't like, if you can. Or pick one that is prominent in an enemy realm. Find a way to vilify it. Start badmouthing their realm in your regions. Maybe, when no one is looking, start a religious riot against them. Get a sympathetic lord to burn a temple or something. It may take some time, but if your realm is otherwise boring with no wars/conflicts, this may bring people out of their shells and get something started.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 25, 2013, 02:55:45 AM »
His realm has been at war for over a year and I don't want my boredom to hinder the war effort, especially now that they seem to be losing.

egamma

« Reply #8: March 25, 2013, 04:14:47 AM »
Go preach in enemy lands and then cause an uprising?

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 25, 2013, 08:50:34 AM »
Priests should be one of the easiest characters to have fun with. Just start a religious war.

Most people in the BM universe are more religiously liberal than most real-life people, that is a far more difficult proposition than you make it out to be (SA being an obvious exception).
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 25, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »
Most people in the BM universe are more religiously liberal than most real-life people, that is a far more difficult proposition than you make it out to be (SA being an obvious exception).

Not to mention that priests can't actually fight, so if they want a religious war they must convince others to do it for them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 25, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
His realm has been at war for over a year and I don't want my boredom to hinder the war effort, especially now that they seem to be losing.

So...you have a character who's been a priest, in a realm that's been at war for over a year, and in all this time of boredom, you never thought to make him a Warrior for a while and join in the war?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #12: March 25, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »

The trick there is making it impossible to ignore. It takes a lot of energy, but if you start making it obvious that the religion is responsible for a lot of things (that may be unpopular with others), people will see it as a threat. It's a little harder, but you can also try doing the same for another religion. (Claim you are delivering divine retribution for their false beliefs or blame their religious actions for your own problems.)

That said, I've never done this myself. When I got bored being a priest, I became an infil.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 25, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
So...you have a character who's been a priest, in a realm that's been at war for over a year, and in all this time of boredom, you never thought to make him a Warrior for a while and join in the war?

Sometimes this just does not fit the character.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 25, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Sometimes this just does not fit the character.

If you're so bored with the character, over a long span of time, that you have to come on the forums and beg for something interesting to do with him, then it's clearly time to either kill him off, or change what the character is like so that you actually enjoy playing him.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan