Author Topic: Battlemaster down?  (Read 11233 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Battlemaster down?
« Reply #30: March 28, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
As you may be aware, it has recently become difficult or impossible to access BattleMaster. This is not because of a problem with the game server itself—we're still up and running just fine. It is because of a problem with DNS, which is related to the global network attacks by spammers. In order to reach BattleMaster before these problems clear up, you will need to change your computer's DNS settings to add the DNS servers 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) and/or 4.2.2.1 (Level3 DNS). If you do not know how to do this, you can use the instructions here: http://use.opendns.com/ Simply replace the IP address numbers listed there with the ones above.

Thank you for playing.

The BattleMaster Administration Team
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #31: March 28, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »
It doesn't really have anything to do with that spam battle.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 29, 2013, 02:12:14 AM »
It doesn't really have anything to do with that spam battle.

Possibly not, but it does at least provide a quicker (and still believable) explanation than the actual issues ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #33: March 29, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
Possibly not, but it does at least provide a quicker (and still believable) explanation than the actual issues ;D

Yes, but I don't lie to my players. I don't work in marketing. :-)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 29, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »
Yes, but I don't lie to my players. I don't work in marketing. :-)

*shrug*

Then replace it with, "which is related to a partly botched server move that was recently done."
Timothy Collett

cenrae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 29, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
The fix worked for my home PC but my primary use of the mobile site via my smart phone is still down and I cant seem to find DNS settings on my android.
Kye Family: Khari (Farronite Republic), Kalidor (Tara), Astridicus (Astrum)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 30, 2013, 02:04:20 PM »
Mass mail worked, at least for a few.

Out-of-Character from Tiberius Domitius   (4 hours, 11 minutes ago)
Message sent to everyone in your realm (67 recipients)
I could not go to www.battlemaster.org last several days.
Today I got mail to change DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 4.2.2.1 - now it finaly works :D
Hope I havent miss much...

Tomislav

Why we did not think about this before?
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 31, 2013, 05:20:43 AM »
Hey on my iphone I can directly access BM using Bm's IP address 178.77.77.28 but when I go to login it says " You have directly accessed a page not intended for direct assess etc etc"

So yeah I can now get BM on my iphone in a non-wifi area but it won't let me log on.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 31, 2013, 06:00:53 AM »
At Iphone, if you use wireless, you can change the DNS as suggested. If you use your ISP to connect, I would suggest that you turn it off and on again and clean cache before doing this.
For android, Mad_Hatter found this: https://guardianproject.info/apps/orweb/
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."