Author Topic: Battlemaster down?  (Read 11087 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Battlemaster down?
« Topic Start: March 25, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
I'm having some weird issues where I can absolutely not connect to battlemaster.org or bugs.battlemaster.org, but I can connect to this forum. I'm not sure what would cause it, but I get redirected to a page (from http://www.website-unavailable.com/) stating:

"The computers that run battlemaster.org are having some trouble. Usually this is just a temporary problem, so you might want to try again in a few minutes."

Nameserver trace for battlemaster.org:

Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed b.root-servers.net.
Looking for who is responsible for org and followed a0.org.afilias-nst.info.
Looking for who is responsible for battlemaster.org and followed ns3.lemuria.org.
Nameservers for battlemaster.org:

ns4.lemuria.org returned (SERVFAIL)
ns3.lemuria.org returned (SERVFAIL)

This has been going on for at least 4-5 hours of being completely unable to log into the game. I've tried clearing my cache, using other browsers, etc.

Is it my end, or yours?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Battlemaster down?
« Reply #1: March 25, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »
A combination of both.

DNS records were updated. Unfortunately, DNS records are cached at your ISP, etc. etc. - and apparently I downgraded the TTL too late or not enough or whatever. So some people have trouble resolving the domain. It should sort itself out. How long, I can't honestly say. If it's more than a day, then your DNS caches are way too aggressive.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #2: March 25, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
Alright, thanks for the quick reply!

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 26, 2013, 12:57:30 AM »
Lorgan helpfully provided me with a quick fix.

There was a server move and now there's a trouble with the DNS address of BM or something. To fix it:

https://use.opendns.com/ follow these instructions, but instead of the ips given,use 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.1

Hope this helps! It worked for me.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
« Reply #4: March 26, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »
Worked for me, too! Thanks.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 26, 2013, 05:52:55 AM »
Lorgan helpfully provided me with a quick fix.

Hope this helps! It worked for me.

This helped me.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 26, 2013, 11:30:20 PM »
How to fix this issue on an Iphone?
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 27, 2013, 12:46:02 AM »
How to fix this issue on HTC?

My ISP kind of slow, I only able online at office, I need my fix :'(
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 27, 2013, 02:52:57 AM »
Typically, ISP's update their DNS's within 24 to 48 hours of a change, but the longest that I've ever heard about is 72 hours.  If you are on a cell network, you pretty much have to wait.

With that said, I would strongly recommend against using Proxies or OpenDNS's.  Why?  Anytime you use the internet, everything you do is passed along to your ISP.  By adding a Proxy or another DNS, you are sending all your data to another company who can abuse it by data mining, selling it, and several other security issues.  If you have a problem with an ISP, you can simply cancel it.  However, proxies and several OpenDNS's are not required to remove your data like most ISP's tend to do.  If you don't care about your internet privacy or the security of your data, then you don't have to worry.  On a side note, read the privacy policy on pretty much any proxy and they openly admit that they store your information and data (sometimes by law).  I saw one proxy state they keep all data even after you stop using them for 2 years.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 27, 2013, 03:16:10 AM »
How to fix this issue on an Iphone?

I don't know, probably what the guy above me said. I could only get on on my phone.

Smart stuff about proxies that should probably be read.

8.8.8.8 is Google's Public DNS. I'll admit I had to look it up, but I use Chrome so they have all my info anyways.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 27, 2013, 03:45:40 AM »
8.8.8.8 has worked for me.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 27, 2013, 04:50:31 AM »
Typically, ISP's update their DNS's within 24 to 48 hours of a change, but the longest that I've ever heard about is 72 hours.  If you are on a cell network, you pretty much have to wait.

With that said, I would strongly recommend against using Proxies or OpenDNS's.  Why?  Anytime you use the internet, everything you do is passed along to your ISP.  By adding a Proxy or another DNS, you are sending all your data to another company who can abuse it by data mining, selling it, and several other security issues.  If you have a problem with an ISP, you can simply cancel it.  However, proxies and several OpenDNS's are not required to remove your data like most ISP's tend to do.  If you don't care about your internet privacy or the security of your data, then you don't have to worry.  On a side note, read the privacy policy on pretty much any proxy and they openly admit that they store your information and data (sometimes by law).  I saw one proxy state they keep all data even after you stop using them for 2 years.

Is that bad? I do a lot of private work online which includes using money transfers etc. Should I not be using the 4442 8888 thing?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 27, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
I personally recommend against it myself.  In doing so, you are sending your information to Google in a very intimate way even more so than using Chrome.  Every internet transaction you do is recorded, documented, and used against a pattern database.  Google is a marketing company and it thrives on being able to sell data to marketing groups and buyers.  It's been in trouble several times for violation of privacy issues throughout the world.  The risk to your private data is not worth the minimal reward in speed that you may obtain.  (Due to location, DNS routing, etc, your speed may not even be noticeably different.)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 27, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »
Er...no.

If you are using Google's DNS servers, the only information they can gather about you is that you use this bank rather than that one.

None of your actual data goes through their DNS servers. Or any DNS servers. Ever.

Frankly, daviceroy, if you're going to rise to that level of paranoia, you should really not be doing anything sensitive online, period.

Also, 4.2.2.* is not Google, but Level 3. Google is 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 27, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »
I thnk i solved my probem. I couldn't acess anything related to BM. and so I downloaded Chrome, ran the page there and worked. After that it started working both on Firefox and Interned Explorer.
Same problem fixed same way on two difrent pcs, same internet provider.
For s while I though BM got terminated somehow. Good thing I saw the facebook page.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:52:18 PM by mikm »