Author Topic: Mendicant Cheating  (Read 71896 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Mendicant Cheating
« Topic Start: March 25, 2013, 09:14:25 AM »
The worst part is that it tars the reputation of everyone else in Aurvandil.  No matter what it is hard to shake that stigma.  Look at Thulsoma and Aquilegia.  That stigma still follows some of the nobles that were associated with that realm.

Please tell me you're joking. No-one knew Twinblade was a multi-cheater until he blurted it out. As it turned out, seven of Aquilegia's 11 nobles were actually Twinblade's multis. He had 8 accounts and 25 characters. No-one should be placing blame or stigma on anyone but the folks who have done the cheating. The players who find they have been playing alongside multi-cheaters are as much a victim as anyone else.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:19:08 AM by Revan »

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Mendicant Cheating
« Reply #1: March 25, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »
I can only imagine how akward the other four nobles felt.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 25, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »
While I agree that playing alongside a mutli cheater doesn't necessarily make you a cheater yourself, the argument being made is that some of the 'non-cheating' players condoned the multi-accounting in exchange for 'winning' Dwilight.

With that said, neither side can be proven. What can (and has been) proven is that Mendicant's character multi-cheated, and we should just leave it at that.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 25, 2013, 11:30:23 AM »
With that said, neither side can be proven. What can (and has been) proven is that Mendicant's character multi-cheated, and we should just leave it at that.

To allow the discourse to go in another direction, is anyone else happy that that ass got caught and everyone who thought he was a self-infatuated dick can now feel so many levels of smug?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 25, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
I have some pretty big issues with your guilt-by-association hypothesis, but on the whole that was much more restrained than I was expecting. Bravo.

Call it guilty-by-association if you want, but I never called for every player of Aurvandil to be locked. However, I do think that Tom and the GMs should send an extremely clear message that cheating does not pay off, for anyone, and that looking the other way is never acceptable. There were plenty of reports of things being amiss in that realm. If Aurvandil gets to maintain its ill-gotten might, then it just tells everyone "you may as well just ask a few friends to make a ton of multies to help your realm, 'cause even if the multies end up locked one day, their contributions will be maintained". It's an atrocious precedent.

Cheater(s) changed Dwilight for good, and now some collaborator will get to inherit it all. And it pisses me off.

Heck, skimming through some of the locked accounts, isn't one of the lords who defected from Barca's "corrupted governement" and started this whole war... one of Mendicant's accounts? Oh, and look who else... The impotent general who had D'Hara attack Lurian forces alone and outnumbered? I see a member of a rebellion in Libero Empire, and nobles who've been to Astrum, to the Lurias. And I only bothered looking through a small part of Aurvandil's accounts (70 nobles is a lot of names to click through). This guy has been influencing events all over Dwilight while he was as it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 25, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »
Call it guilty-by-association if you want, but I never called for every player of Aurvandil to be locked. However, I do think that Tom and the GMs should send an extremely clear message that cheating does not pay off, for anyone, and that looking the other way is never acceptable. There were plenty of reports of things being amiss in that realm. If Aurvandil gets to maintain its ill-gotten might, then it just tells everyone "you may as well just ask a few friends to make a ton of multies to help your realm, 'cause even if the multies end up locked one day, their contributions will be maintained". It's an atrocious precedent.

All right, then.

What, exactly, do you suggest be done?

A big GM Message warning about the evils of multicheating? Not like that'll change anything.

Zap the realm out of existence and turn everyone rogue? Not gonna happen; far too extreme.

You've clearly got all the answers, Chénier, so tell us, what should be done to prevent Aurvandil from walking off with the crown even without Mendicant and his multis?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Feylonis

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 25, 2013, 01:39:38 PM »
Zuma invasion, extreme drought, plague that saps the population. A lot of things can be done to send a message, "cheating is not tolerated", while maintaining the SMA RP of Dwilight.

egamma

« Reply #7: March 25, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
Zuma invasion, extreme drought, plague that saps the population. A lot of things can be done to send a message, "cheating is not tolerated", while maintaining the SMA RP of Dwilight.

And what about the innocent players of Aurvandil?

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 25, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
Give it time and things will correct themselves.  Aurvandil didn't grow over night and it won't be overnight that they are put back into their place.

The players in Aurvandil seem a bit Naive to me.  They seem to think that their realm won't be affected by this.  They think they are going to maintain their same size armies and continue to kick everyones butt.  I tried pointing out all obvious parts of losing 11 accounts that supplied the "Eternal Treasury"  but they say they are going to continue doing Family Investments themselves and keep the Eternal Treasury going.  They think their army will stay 30-40k CS.   

11 accounts are locked in Aurvandil and Allison is leading 10+ more on an exodus.  That should drop them down into the 40 noble count. 

The funny thing is that I believe Mendicant created a new character.  The name kinda jives with the names he used before.  I asked the character about it when it was first created and nothing was said.  Nothing has been said publicly at all this time.  Some of the players in Aurvandil have decided to claim that Mendicant is still High Sovereign and that the new ruler will be a Regent.  Leaving the way open for Mendicant or one of his Heirs to retake the throne. 

I tried to tell them that they needed to separate themselves from the Mendicant Legacy but they just put their head down and kept charging forward.  The wall is coming soon...
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 25, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
I think he wants some sort of extreme vengeance so that Asylon by proxy can also suffer. Considering that even though Aurvandiil cheated in the eyes of most of Dwilight it is Asylon that is still considered the most evil and hated for just playing the game.  :P
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 25, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
Wut?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 25, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »
I think he wants some sort of extreme vengeance so that Asylon by proxy can also suffer. Considering that even though Aurvandiil cheated in the eyes of most of Dwilight it is Asylon that is still considered the most evil and hated for just playing the game.  :P

I know you have a hard time believing it sometimes, Glaumring, but not everything is about you.

Case in point: I don't have the first clue what you're on about.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 25, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
Whether or not you feel that Aurvandil's remaining players should pay a big price or whether they're innocent bystanders, the fact is that they're probably going to play a moderate price and possibly a big one. It won't take a Zuma invasion. Karma has a way of evening out in cases like these.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 25, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »
Whether or not you feel that Aurvandil's remaining players should pay a big price or whether they're innocent bystanders, the fact is that they're probably going to play a moderate price and possibly a big one. It won't take a Zuma invasion. Karma has a way of evening out in cases like these.

They lost a bulk of their realm and now the continent hates them even more than before, which is kinda saying a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if they evaporated off the face of Dwilight.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 25, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
We will still have around 15 regions and have 40+ nobles. That is in no way shape or from a small realm. I completely agree that we might have gold issues but they will not be as extreme as some of you might think. with the loss of 30 nobles mean we have 30 nobles more gold worth in estates. We also will still have very high cohesion between our armies.