Author Topic: Mendicant Cheating  (Read 72179 times)

Astinus

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Mendicant Cheating
« Reply #45: March 26, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
I was asking for clarifications whoever had investigated the issue exactly to understand how many of the Aurvandil's achievements can be related to the multies cheat.

If the Mendicant's web of gold hoarding characters were so deep that everything done by Aurvandil wouldn't have happened without it, I beleive that BM game experience might be seriously compromised if it's so easy to cheat on such a scale for so long.

Can we have an official statement on what was cheated and by who?

PS just read the replies about power being hold mostly in multies: the issue there is those multies actually seemed to play and had interaction with us other Aurvandil's players and even between them. That's the reason why I beleive the actual people who cheated were not only Mendicant's player but a group associated with him.

After all I suppose they were good at their cheat, otherwise we'd expect to have them caught without having the need to infiltrate Dustole in the realm, don't we?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: March 26, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
Secondly, I did not propose compensation, Chenier did.

If anything the players of Aurvandil suffered the most, for, unbeknownst to them, they were merely pawns in the mad schemes of one man. If anything, they should recieve compensation.

Please, just stop.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: March 26, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
Please, just stop.

If you would take a look at the context of that quote, you would see that it is in response to the very post in which Cheneir asks for compensation. Not only that, but the phrase "if anything," which is used twice, suggests that I am not genuinely asking for compensation, merely demonstrating a point by doing so.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #48: March 26, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »
Fact: Mendicant Cheated.

Fact:Mendicant was directly and solely responsible for all diplomatic correspondence with other realms

Fact: As a direct result of Mendicants actions, the map and diplomacy of all Dwilight was severely and irreparably defected. It was not localized. Even Luria and D'Hara had to put aside there differences to combat the threat. If you subscribe to the multiverse theory, Rynn might already be riding down the streets of Luria's capital as a victorious conqueror were it not for that and given Alice to Machiavel as a conquest of war. jus sayin.

Fact: For both diplomatic and military reasons, Barca lost regions to Aurvandil, Terran was effectively destroyed, a Duchy of D'Hara was illegally colonized.

Fact: Tricked or not, the players in Aurvandil were "lured" into the most powerful military machine in the game that simply may not have been nearly so successful but for Mendicant's cheating.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: March 26, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »
Fact: (etc.)

My character's city and realm are falling down around him because of Aurvandil. But none of your facts lend themselves to an easy conclusion.

The principle here is not 'what degree of remedy is necessary' but 'why should the developers, whose job is development, intercede?'

So the Zuma invade Aurvandil. Aurvandil nobles all get on ships and sail to, I don't know, what used to be Terran. New realms, easy pickings. They take some regions. Then the players whose regions they took complain about how this wouldn't have happened if the developers hadn't 'fixed' everything.

Or the devs try to 'reset' the place to how it was a year ago. How would this even work? Pages and pages of bitching about how this or that detail is wrong. What about all the politics since then? Pretend it never happened?

Not only would this be an impossible task, it would be an awful precedent. I'm grateful that these guys were caught. I expect that nothing with the name 'Aurvandil' will have an easy time of it going forward, however damaged non-Aurvandil realms are because of them. But we're the players and we've got to figure out the way forward. Not pray for lightning bolts.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: March 26, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
Nobody forced them too.
This is very relevant. From what I have heard, a similar environment happened in Eston, just with no cheating involved. For years, the same group of characters has held almost all the power, yet there are no calls for compensation for Eston's players. I am with Scarlett, quit your bitching and move on with the game.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: March 26, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
I am with Scarlett, quit your bitching and move on with the game.

Yup.   And my Realm was fully annihilated and destroyed by Mendicant and his posse, its name tarnished, the whole nine yards.   

You know what I'm going to do?  Crush Aurvandil - and to do that, I need to get back to playing.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: March 26, 2013, 09:40:43 PM »
I can only imagine how akward the other four nobles felt.

I hated it.  To the point that I almost quit BM after Aquilegia nearly collapsed because of one stupid guy. If it could happen once, twice, who is to say it isn't happening right now again in my very own realm? How could I know? I had no idea the first time. I hate multi-cheating and the paranoia it causes me as to if somebody is cheating or not.

Please please please find a way to stop multi-cheaters! Maybe train dogs to sniff out players to confirm they are human...wait, that's Terminator  ;D

I would also like to know which families were included in the list of accounts controlled by Mendicant. I am shocked, but not surprised.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: March 26, 2013, 10:17:56 PM »
I hated it.  To the point that I almost quit BM after Aquilegia nearly collapsed because of one stupid guy. If it could happen once, twice, who is to say it isn't happening right now again in my very own realm? How could I know? I had no idea the first time. I hate multi-cheating and the paranoia it causes me as to if somebody is cheating or not.

Please please please find a way to stop multi-cheaters! Maybe train dogs to sniff out players to confirm they are human...wait, that's Terminator  ;D

I would also like to know which families were included in the list of accounts controlled by Mendicant. I am shocked, but not surprised.

Same here. Twinblade had tons of accounts in Irombrozia. Since then I've been paranoid about multis and tend to regard any large influx of accounts with a degree of suspicion.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: March 26, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
After Twinblade, we were able to use the traces he had left in the DB to build some better semi-automated cheater-checking tools. This led to us catching a lot more multis over the following period than we had been able to before.

Since then, we have added a few more pieces of data to the list of what we log (nothing personally identifiable; for that, we'd have to actually ask, and trust that it's accurate!). Once we get some more time, this will let us enhance and refine the aforementioned semi-automated cheater-checking tools.

At this point, it would be very difficult for someone running a multi group the size of Twinblade's to run under the radar without it essentially being a full-time job for him.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: March 26, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
Which, for at least one person, it was...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: March 26, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »
So, since we are talking about compensation...   Why not give Allison the bounties on all those Aurvandalians?   Or, make my game more interesting and add all those bounties onto Allisons. 

I think I like the second idea better.  I could be pimping around Dwilight with about a 5k bounty. 
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: March 26, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »
What a !@#$show... This is annoying on so many levels. This sucks for Dwilight and it sucks for BM.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: March 26, 2013, 11:46:18 PM »
What a !@#$show... This is annoying on so many levels. This sucks for Dwilight and it sucks for BM.

Yes, it's really disgusting the lengths some people will go to gain an unfair advantage at a free online game with no win condition.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #59: March 26, 2013, 11:55:30 PM »
Yes, it's really disgusting the lengths some people will go to gain an unfair advantage at a free online game with no win condition.

Kind of sad and pathetic really ;)