Author Topic: Medals what whatnot  (Read 16577 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Medals what whatnot
« Reply #30: April 18, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
But those initial medals came from somewhere...from someone who had medals and who thought that that person was fun to play with or trustworthy...which means that they deserved them.  It would be almost impossible for some complete OOC person who only cared about their "OOC clan" and only played with them to ever get enough medals to pass them around to the clan.

You can't have it both ways...either your hypothetical person is an evil clanner or he's fun enough and open enough to get medals from people who have them already.

It is said that the most evil are those who can appear to be most good...

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #31: April 18, 2011, 03:04:31 PM »
There is rarely such a clear cut divide, WarMaid, when dealing with OOC clans, especially when it can encompass groups that are completely different in outlook and how they play a game.

Also, a player can be both open and fun to play with, while at the same time being part of a group outside the game.

WarMaid

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 20, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
There is rarely such a clear cut divide, WarMaid, when dealing with OOC clans, especially when it can encompass groups that are completely different in outlook and how they play a game.

Also, a player can be both open and fun to play with, while at the same time being part of a group outside the game.

The scary scenario was that if just one member of a wicked clan got enough medals, they'd spam them to their dastardly OOC crew who would then bounce them around between each other creating a super-medaled group of evil.

If someone is also engaged in /other/ realms and with /other/ people in the game and playing in such a way that they're earning medals from those people and realms...then I think that they are less likely to be the sort of player who makes a big effort to get their evil empire all medally.  I also think that they are less likely to be the sort of player to participate in a true "OOC Clan".

I know that there are jerks out there who will try to game every system that there is, but I just can't see the Captain of the Evil League of Evil putting in the /effort/ it would take to make other players reward him...and if he did, would he still be evil?
Kindon Family

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #33: April 20, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Um...yes? The worst are those who know how to make people think they're outstanding good people while secretly toying with everyone else who trusts them. It's great if they can play well with others in other realms, but if in the end they are doing it just to prop up their group of friends to control a realm absolutely, there is little excuse.

But in reality, who would seriously go to such effort in a free game? That is something I will never understand about the people who multi-cheat or seek to exploit everything. Even if you control an entire realm, or get a zillion gold, what of it? That won't automatically grant power. It's kind of like how Twinblade left after getting bored with the game because his multis controlled Aquilegia. Got his wish of having Flowrestown, but the wine is pretty sour when it's ill-gotten. Of course, that doesn't really stop some people who seem to have no tastebuds.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 21, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »
Um...yes? The worst are those who know how to make people think they're outstanding good people while secretly toying with everyone else who trusts them. It's great if they can play well with others in other realms, but if in the end they are doing it just to prop up their group of friends to control a realm absolutely, there is little excuse.

But in reality, who would seriously go to such effort in a free game? That is something I will never understand about the people who multi-cheat or seek to exploit everything. Even if you control an entire realm, or get a zillion gold, what of it? That won't automatically grant power. It's kind of like how Twinblade left after getting bored with the game because his multis controlled Aquilegia. Got his wish of having Flowrestown, but the wine is pretty sour when it's ill-gotten. Of course, that doesn't really stop some people who seem to have no tastebuds.

I've always though it was a bit like winning a knife fight with a gun. Sure you've won, but it would end up feeling kind of hollow once you realise that no one respects the achievement, and eventually you end up sharing their view.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #35: April 21, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
It probably does feel empty, but somehow that doesn't stop people while they do it.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 21, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
I would assume it would only feel empty if you actually cared what the other people think. Let's face it, if you and your 30 clan buddies join the game and take over a realm, do you really think they care what the other players think? If they don't take part in any of the rest of the community, would they even know what the other players think?

They obviously don't care what the community thinks, because they don't take part in it. They only care what their clan buddies think.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 21, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
I would assume it would only feel empty if you actually cared what the other people think. Let's face it, if you and your 30 clan buddies join the game and take over a realm, do you really think they care what the other players think? If they don't take part in any of the rest of the community, would they even know what the other players think?

They obviously don't care what the community thinks, because they don't take part in it. They only care what their clan buddies think.

The prior posts were referring to one person with multiple accounts. Playing on your "own" tends to pale in a social game like BM after a while I'm sure.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #38: April 21, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »
After a while, sure. But the damage would have already been done. I have only Aquilegia as a personal experience, but that was pretty much a realm that was subverted by some fool who was a bit myopic about taking over Flowrestown. Pity he never realized that the only meaning to those pixels on the map came from recognition of other players. Still, when all was said and done, that was that. He managed to ruin the realm for pretty much everyone involved.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 22, 2011, 12:37:17 AM »
Ohhh Twinblade...

The most hilarious thing about that whole situation was how it was the constant arguing within SA that finally sent him over the edge and prompted him to write that 4,000 word tirade about how great he was and how much everyone else sucked.

Now if only we could debate every other multi-cheater in the game into oblivion...

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 22, 2011, 02:26:27 AM »
Allison is up to the challenge!
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 29, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
Ohhh Twinblade...

The most hilarious thing about that whole situation was how it was the constant arguing within SA that finally sent him over the edge and prompted him to write that 4,000 word tirade about how great he was and how much everyone else sucked.

Now if only we could debate every other multi-cheater in the game into oblivion...

Thanks for reminding me about that letter, needed a good giggle ;D

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Talk:Twinblade_Family

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 29, 2011, 12:31:24 PM »
His name should be like quadrupleblade or something more fitting... :(
We live lives in beautiful lies...

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 29, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
The Aquilegia thing was way more funny in my opinion.  He had 8 nobles and controlled the whole realm.  Yet was only able to field 2,000 cs at the peak.  The sad part about the whole thing wasn't that he was a cheater.  It was that he was cheating fairly successfully but he just sucked at the game.   Aquilegia was fairly established at the time too.  They had an impressive income, but he didn't do anything with it.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 30, 2011, 01:53:29 AM »
The "right under Timothy Colletes nose" part in Twinblade's confession is hillarious.  ;D