Author Topic: High Toprak  (Read 14070 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: High Toprak
« Reply #30: April 08, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Unfortunately, there are only two ways to achieve such a feel on an ongoing basis: continually opening new continents, and performing periodic resets (in whatever form) of one or more continents.

Earlier in Dwilight's development it may have been possible to extend the colonization phase. Tom manually removed existing monster groups from the map on two separate occasions if memory serves after some people complained about it being too hard to start a realm. If he hadn't done that, things might have taken longer, possibly a lot longer. I remember the before and after difference being dramatic in Astrum the second time he did it. We went from being under constant pressure to being left almost completely alone for the better part of a few months. That's what allowed us to found the first Niselur and expand it so quickly. That Niselur may have fallen apart, but it was never the same afterward. The monsters never really recovered the numbers they'd had before, and we grew stronger during the respite.

If a conscious effort had been made to beat back the waves of colonization periodically that could also have extended things, but doing that would have been similar to what was done on BT, as you say; you'd have to create some sort of disaster periodically that partilly reset things. Still, it can't be too difficult to just spawn several large hordes of AI-controlled monsters every now and then and let them do what monsters do. It wouldn't require the kind of complicated storytelling and GM-controlled NPCs we saw on BT from the Third Invasion on.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 08, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Im kind of glad the whole monster fighting phase is over. Fighting against humans has been much more intense. Now its about shaping the post colonial phase, the choice we make now will resonate.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 08, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
Im kind of glad the whole monster fighting phase is over. Fighting against humans has been much more intense. Now its about shaping the post colonial phase, the choice we make now will resonate.

You can get this experience on all the other islands, though; Dwilight's frontier feeling was unique. Without it, I am finding the other islands to be more interesting at present.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 08, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »
I think for me the connection with Dwilight is because I have been here pretty much since the beginning, so im familiar with my friends , enemies and the history of the area. A thing that the other servers have never really felt for me.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 08, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
I think for me the connection with Dwilight is because I have been here pretty much since the beginning, so im familiar with my friends , enemies and the history of the area. A thing that the other servers have never really felt for me.

It isn't always easy to find, but may I recommend Beluaterra? Due I imagine to the Invasions, it largely lacks the inbred feeling of the other islands. There's relatively little in the way of the sort of calcified upper crust of long-time players you tend to find in places like Atamara and EC, so it's much easier to insinuate yourself into the heart of things. Many of the realms either are young or feel young. I played for a couple years each in Riombara and Fronen. Between when I arrived and when I left each realm, there was almost a complete turnover of characters in the realm, and only a very few of the players there stayed the entire time. I doubt whether anyone in Fronen even knows a complete history of that realm.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 08, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
I served with you in Bel, I love Bel, its just that my character died so I was abit rudderless.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 08, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
Yes that's right, I forgot that. In Riombara for a while, if memory serves.

...What was this thread supposed to be about again?  ;D

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 08, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
I think it was a cluster!@#$ of people hating everytjing I say... Oh no sorry that was the other threads  ;)

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 09, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
This is a sentiment I've seen from a number of people.

Unfortunately, there are only two ways to achieve such a feel on an ongoing basis: continually opening new continents, and performing periodic resets (in whatever form) of one or more continents.

The former is obviously untenable without a continual growth in the playerbase. The latter used to be done on BT, and to a lesser extent on the South Islands before they were sunk, but as you know, Tom has decreed that there will be no more invasions on BT (besides the use of the summon scrolls, which really isn't the same thing).

So sadly, there is currently nowhere for players to go who like that frontier feeling.

Well, One hundred of monster hordes converting half of the isle in rogue lands again would do the work too!  ;D

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 10, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »
...What was this thread supposed to be about again?  ;D

It is a lamentation for north-west Dwilight  :'(
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 10, 2013, 10:45:41 PM »

North-west?

Don't you mean north-east?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Daimall

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 10, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »

That is in another thread. Although the message traffic is starting to pick up Niselur. Hope it doesn't go down too much after this initial flurry.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 11, 2013, 12:30:25 AM »
North-west?

Don't you mean north-east?

Im pretty sure High Toprak is NE as well Vellos. What with BR being central Toprak and all, and Luria running the South along with Northern Forland.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 11, 2013, 12:40:53 AM »

Whoops! I meant North-East  :-[
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there