Author Topic: Stable City Size  (Read 2534 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Stable City Size
« Topic Start: April 06, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »
Question:

Is there any size at which a city will produce enough food to feed itself, and not go rogue? Like, can you let a city shrink to a stable point (maybe like 1/5 or 1/10 of its original size)?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Stable City Size
« Reply #1: April 06, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »
I'm reasonably sure that, since food production is linear with population and so is consumption, either a region (any region) can support itself, or it can't. Of course, it's Saturday, and my left brain is kind of on holiday, so I may be missing something there ;D

That said, I did at one point code in a mechanic that would allow regions to exist at a subsistence level with very low population. I'm not sure if it's still active; it may have gotten lost in the switch to Doctrine. I'll check at some point.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 07, 2013, 04:32:13 AM »
I'm reasonably sure that, since food production is linear with population and so is consumption, either a region (any region) can support itself, or it can't. Of course, it's Saturday, and my left brain is kind of on holiday, so I may be missing something there ;D

That said, I did at one point code in a mechanic that would allow regions to exist at a subsistence level with very low population. I'm not sure if it's still active; it may have gotten lost in the switch to Doctrine. I'll check at some point.

Even when active, it didn't seem to really work.

But indeed, since food production scales with the production stat, which is capped by population ratio, it's rather sound logic that a region either can or can't, unless it's a really small city/townsland that only runs a really light deficit with max pop (since max production does not require max pop).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
Even when active, it didn't seem to really work.

So far as I could tell, it worked pretty much as intended.

But it would never be much help to a city. There just isn't that much food available there, ever.

That said, I have been pondering on how we could help keep cities from starving quite so often. I'm hoping that the changes to the food system we're making will help, but if they're not enough, I may try and come up with something else. Not sure what yet; everything I've come up with so far works with rurals, but not cities :-\
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 07, 2013, 03:45:08 PM »
So far as I could tell, it worked pretty much as intended.

But it would never be much help to a city. There just isn't that much food available there, ever.

That said, I have been pondering on how we could help keep cities from starving quite so often. I'm hoping that the changes to the food system we're making will help, but if they're not enough, I may try and come up with something else. Not sure what yet; everything I've come up with so far works with rurals, but not cities :-\

The only regions I ever saw on subsistence agriculture were rurals that had been rogue forever. I never saw a starving city switch to that mode.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 07, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
The only regions I ever saw on subsistence agriculture were rurals that had been rogue forever. I never saw a starving city switch to that mode.

Like I said: it wasn't much help to cities. It required there to be arable land to perform subsistence agriculture on.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 07, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »
Like I said: it wasn't much help to cities. It required there to be arable land to perform subsistence agriculture on.

Roof-top gardening! :D

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 07, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »

Cannibalism!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 08, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »
Cannibalism!

Oooh, this too. Totally would have decreed cannibalism to be fine if I could have.