Author Topic: Contact List  (Read 1676 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Contact List
« Topic Start: April 07, 2013, 05:59:47 AM »
On everyone's IC Contact List, there are apparently three types of contacts: Standard, Correspondent and Met. I have never seen a contact that was a "Met" before. All of mine are Standard or Correspondent. How do you get a Met contact?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Contact List
« Reply #1: April 07, 2013, 06:09:21 AM »
I don't believe the "met" part was ever implemented.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 07, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
Yeah, I was never sure just what that was supposed to mean. It was in the Contacts table before I ever went and implemented the proper Contacts list. *shrug*
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 07, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »
I figured perhaps it was for people you'd physically been in the same region with (and had no previous contact with).

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 07, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
I heard (probably Tali told me) something about why Tom doesn't want a chat inside the game. Does any of you know why?
Personally I think this would be great, specially for new players.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 07, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I heard (probably Tali told me) something about why Tom doesn't want a chat inside the game. Does any of you know why?
Personally I think this would be great, specially for new players.

First, this should be in a different thread. If you have a question to ask that's not directly related to an existing thread, just start a new one.

Now, to answer the question, there are a number of reasons, most of which I completely agree with.

To hit some of the highlights:

- When engaging in real-time chat, people are far, far less likely to remain IC.
- Having a real-time chat within the game would make it much more tempting for realms to require people to actually be on the chat.
- We would have to either roll our own chat (takes a lot of time), use an external service like IRC (over which we would have no control, and which we couldn't keep logs of), or use a pre-written PHP chat library (which still takes time to integrate, and also has memory, disk, and processor overhead, and would have no guarantee of quality).

Having the Chat link for the IRC web client on the account page should provide enough for new players. It gives everyone in BattleMaster a place where we can talk freely, in real-time, about IC and OOC matters, without fear of being required to log on, either at specific times or at all.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 07, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
Right. Thanks for the answer and sorry for doing it wrong.
I always thought the "met" was something related to a chat that never existed.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."