Author Topic: More realistic long-distance travel  (Read 3504 times)

egamma

More realistic long-distance travel
« Topic Start: April 13, 2011, 09:13:04 PM »
This is referring to travel that takes more than 2 turns to complete, primarily sea routes on Dwilight. The last few hours/miles and the first/few hours/miles of each journey would occur using the current system.

I find it strange that one has full access to guild/temple treasuries while traveling. Wouldn't it be more realistic to remove these options?
I would like to see something like a tournament-return page, where options are fairly limited.

And on the other side of things, I would like for sea travel to be faster. At the very least, I would like the option to purchase passage on a faster ship. Also, it seems less realistic to me for sea travel to be slower for larger units. A unit of 10 men should travel at the same speed as one containing 50, and a trader with 2 caravans should travel close to the same speed as a trader with 12 caravans.

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: More realistic long-distance travel
« Reply #1: April 13, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
More passengers means bigger passenger ship, bigger passenger ship means...slower ship?

Caravans: Replace every instance of passenger in the above with "freight", or "cargo". My ship terminology is zero.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 13, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
More passengers means bigger passenger ship, bigger passenger ship means...slower ship?

Not necessarily. Bigger ship means bigger & more sails!  ;)
Well, most times, anyway.

egamma

« Reply #3: April 14, 2011, 03:52:24 AM »
Not necessarily. Bigger ship means bigger & more sails!  ;)
Well, most times, anyway.

I'd like to see a travel option, similar to what priests and adventurers see, that offers a "faster" ship, or perhaps a fleet of faster ships. The slower travel option would be on a barge type ship like a balinger, and the faster option would be on a cog style vessel.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 14, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »
This is referring to travel that takes more than 2 turns to complete, primarily sea routes on Dwilight. The last few hours/miles and the first/few hours/miles of each journey would occur using the current system.

I find it strange that one has full access to guild/temple treasuries while traveling. Wouldn't it be more realistic to remove these options?
I would like to see something like a tournament-return page, where options are fairly limited.

For most traveling, the idea is that you stop at the guildhouse/temple on your way out of town.

If we were to restrict it, it wouldn't be with a tournament-return type page, but rather a simple "You cannot do this while traveling"-style error message.

And on the other side of things, I would like for sea travel to be faster. At the very least, I would like the option to purchase passage on a faster ship. Also, it seems less realistic to me for sea travel to be slower for larger units. A unit of 10 men should travel at the same speed as one containing 50, and a trader with 2 caravans should travel close to the same speed as a trader with 12 caravans.

Allowing additional options for noble travel is something I (at least) have been considering for a while, and sea travel is the place where it seems to make the most sense.

However, it's probably another thing that's going to have to wait until more of the stuff further up on the TODO list is done, since it's a relatively minor change for realism's sake, that will actually require quite a bit of extra code.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 14, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »
Sea travel is hard because it uses your hours to travel even though it should use the boats, let me explain further.  The boat is traveling whether your in your cabin on deck because the boat has its own crew you aren't the crew.  So if your men would have loads of time to themselves because of the fact they aren't doing anything, except that doesn't happen because your time pool is being used up traveling.  Heck some training could even be done without interupting the sailing, but I have a feeling coding a system of travel that doesn't use your hours but uses another set of hours would be difficult.  I also have no coding experience in which to make that statement on.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 14, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
It's difficult to train on board a ship.  We're not talking a nice modern cruise ship here; there might be room for 2-3 people to spar at a time on deck, but only when nothing important is going on.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 14, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »
I agree which is why I said some training.  But my point still stands even though you mention that one small point, your men would still have plenty of time to themselves like when you sit in a region with 12 hours because they have no orders and are just waiting around so they hang out and their morale goes up a bit.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 30, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »
Naval regions always made the most sense to me. They'd still be big, though, say like having a total of 3 naval regions between Golden Farrow and Port Raviel.

Having various ship options in the travel page for eveyone, requiring money, would be equally interesting. Especially if these options rely on building a shipyard in your port. It starts to get complicated at this point, though.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron