Author Topic: Why do we stay  (Read 7957 times)

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we stay
« Reply #15: April 14, 2013, 06:51:57 AM »
In fact, how about someone come up with the rules for a BM drinking game? Given the slow pace, you're not likely to get drunk :-)

Pound your drink every time a D'haran whines about/complains about/gets snarky about/insults/irritates Luria. Drunk in no time.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

egamma

« Reply #16: April 15, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
Pound your drink every time a D'haran whines about/complains about/gets snarky about/insults/irritates Luria. Drunk in no time.

Drink every time a Lurian backstabs/betrays a promise/doesn't deliver/twists your words.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 15, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »

Drink every time a Lurian backstabs/betrays a promise/doesn't deliver/twists your words.

In either case, double the drink if it's justified.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 16, 2013, 01:37:59 AM »

Well backstabbing, betrayal and twisting is what most would define as politics. But, yea you might get alcohol poisoning.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #19: April 20, 2013, 04:05:43 AM »
So in essence you lot stay to formulate drinking games based on hatred of realms. Personally, I have one singular reason for sticking around and that is the bonds I've forged with people in at least one of the realms I play in. That is the only reason I haven't deleted my account, in all honesty.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 20, 2013, 04:07:47 AM »
So in essence you lot stay to formulate drinking games based on hatred of realms. Personally, I have one singular reason for sticking around and that is the bonds I've forged with people in at least one of the realms I play in. That is the only reason I haven't deleted my account, in all honesty.
Could you perhaps state, what/which realm(s) you have formed bonds with people there to the extent that it becomes your sole reason for continuing to play?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 20, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »
Well, that would be Westmoor. (And by extension Old Grehk (or has that character moved to Caelum?))
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #22: April 20, 2013, 04:39:40 AM »
Could you perhaps state, what/which realm(s) you have formed bonds with people there to the extent that it becomes your sole reason for continuing to play?

In Westmoor, we all get along, have a laugh and just get on with the game. The sense of camaraderie in the realm is brilliant, and even more so since the war broke out. People can harp on about destroying the realm on these boards or on IRC, but I know we'll all go down fighting to the last if it came to it.

To a lesser extent, Caelum has also been interesting and fun. Certainly at the birth of the realm where we had the controversy over Duchies and Judge Edmundus. I enjoyed throwing Alaron into those debates. It was a shame he got captured by rogues and hit with the ransom bug, as Alaron is a toady essentially - he'll worm his way into favour one way or another, even if it means banning people. It's settled down a bit now, but if the communication issue isn't resolved I suspect we'll see things liven up again.

Edit: Both of my BT toons are in Caelum - Alaron and Ventus. Malos used to be in Old Grehk ages ago but was banished because of the OOC asshattery of the Judge and Banker duo they had there a while back.

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 21, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
I was thinking why do I stay.
There is this friendly side of being at IRC and so, and there is this challenge to make a difference in a team but, if I would try to explain it in a phrase this would be:

I stay because playing BM is like reading a good book where I can interfere in the story.

Now, I don't remember where is the post Tom was asking for players to do a video with a testimony. I don't think I can do it. My english is not that good, my age is far from average. I think you guys can do it though.
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #24: April 21, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »
my age is far from average.

That's a plus, not a negative. If anything, I'd like to show how the game is for everyone.

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: April 22, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
In Westmoor, we all get along, have a laugh and just get on with the game. The sense of camaraderie in the realm is brilliant, and even more so since the war broke out. People can harp on about destroying the realm on these boards or on IRC, but I know we'll all go down fighting to the last if it came to it.

That's nice to hear  :) In Westmoor, we actually put in a huge amount of effort at new player retention. In many cases, we give brand new players either their first positions of responsibility that they get in the entire game, or the first access to special message groups that they get in the game. I'd bet Westmoor's history of getting brand new players to stay in the game against that of any other realm on any island. If I hadn't created my first character in Westmoor, I know for a fact that I wouldn't still be playing BM today.

And it is one of those "catching lightening in a bottle" things. I've tried to reproduce the Westmoorian Factor in other realms on other islands, and never been able to succeed at it.