Author Topic: Why do we stay  (Read 7910 times)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
  • Myrnia (EC) Mattias Cat (BT) Luarin Ariana (DWI)
    • View Profile
Why do we stay
« Topic Start: April 13, 2013, 03:51:18 AM »
Yeah, plenty of situations in this game is depressing, which just makes people do less and then its just a downward spiral.

Ok, so why do we stay and why we like it so much?
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we stay
« Reply #1: April 13, 2013, 03:56:27 AM »
Ok, so why do we stay and why we like it so much?
The non-depressing parts, and could a mod move this into another thread? I know this is related to the OP, but it will distract away from it too much and it really needs its own thread. (I will expand upon what I said later.)
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 13, 2013, 04:16:06 AM »
I think what you said is a good start point to a discussion, not about the problems, but about what makes us stay. Those are the points we need to know how to "spread to the world".
"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 13, 2013, 04:37:14 AM »
I stay because you don't get gameplay like this anywhere else.

But I'm a nerd for this kind of thing.  I like Crusader Kings and reading stories about real life kings and dukes and nobles.

I'm here because it gives me a chance to be a medieval nobleman, to compete with others for influence, and sometimes to wage war upon my enemies.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 13, 2013, 06:27:24 AM »
It's one part D&D, one part werewolf/mafia, one part drinking game, and one part awesome.

I came for the medieval chivalry, but intend to stay for the political intrigue.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 13, 2013, 06:44:26 AM »
one part drinking game

Elaborate, I think I'm missing out.
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 13, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »
One of my favourite moments in this game was celebrating a victory in Nahad with Bedwyr and Hawthorne while having a few (RL) drinks. That's a fond memory.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 13, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »
If I remember correctly, Vellos stays for "the lulz."
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 13, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
I stay because I haven't won yet. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 13, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »
I stay because what BM delivers still is thrilling. No lie, yesterday I lied awake because of Alice's death duel challenge against Skyndarbau, coming up with all kinds of scenario's and implications.

It's like being inside a movie, or a book. Not knowing how things will progress, and the inventiveness of other players, that's why I'm staying.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: April 13, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

In fact, how about someone come up with the rules for a BM drinking game? Given the slow pace, you're not likely to get drunk :-)

Miriam Ics

• Testers
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 13, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
In fact, how about someone come up with the rules for a BM drinking game? Given the slow pace, you're not likely to get drunk :-)
I wouldn't bet on this.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 13, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »

If I RP a character getting drunk, it's a good enough reason for me to get drunk. Although I don't need much excuse, it makes immersion much easier.  ;D
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 13, 2013, 07:55:09 PM »

Take 1 shot every time someone on Atamara gets ganged up on.

Oh crap, you'd be dead.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 13, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
If I RP a character getting drunk, it's a good enough reason for me to get drunk.

Everyone should try that, a great reason to get drunk lol. I stay because for me BM= The best text based RP game on the internet+Awesome community+Best gameplay experience= My life force. And I'm not bragging, seriously.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.