Author Topic: Expected income for potential estates  (Read 2200 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Expected income for potential estates
« Topic Start: May 02, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
One of my chars recently joined Melhed and I was looking around to see which estate I thought would earn him the most gold.
But is it really supposed to be impossible to know without travelling to every region in the realm and see for yourself?

You look at the wealth of the region, the current production and make some assumption from that. But you still cannot know lords share, right? it can be at i.e 50% and you might then make much less than it would seem from afar.

Is there a way to know your potential income in any region of the realm or should this perhaps be added somehow to help new knights choose a good estate?

We do have a Military Advisor, perhaps an Estate Advisor would be in order?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Expected income for potential estates
« Reply #1: May 02, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »
Send a letter to the lord and ask him.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 02, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Send a letter to the lord and ask him.

Yeah sure, but are you expected to send a letter to every lord this may concern and do they really know the answer when not in their region? In some realms that might mean letters to up to 15 different lords, not counting that some may be willing to open up estates that aren't currently available.

Some greater oversight would be nice.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 02, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
Some greater oversight would be nice.
For you perhaps, but what about the Lord who just lost a potential knight since people can see their lord share. You might end up getting ripped off? Get a different estate, or if you care that much, ask the banker. The current mentality that info should be shared with everyone because "Why should I have to actually talk to someone else?" is annoying, though I am not tying to target you specifically, you are just the most recent case of it. Hmmm, well after reading a bit more, it seems you might not have known if  the info was always available to somebody anyways. Lords know theirs, I think dukes get their duchy's, and bankers get everybody's tax rates and etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:12:38 PM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 02, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
do they really know the answer when not in their region?

Yes, they do. Lords can find this under the politics tab regardless of location.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 02, 2013, 04:14:07 PM »
This is something that I will be adding in the indeterminate-but-not-too-far future, as it will be a logical extension of this addition.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan