Author Topic: To join realm - Nothoi, OG, Sint or Melhed?  (Read 27275 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Once you see it for what it is, it's very hard to take it seriously. It is for me anyway. It's only slightly more subtle than, say, Dunkontology:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dunkontology

Also less funny, and since that was the only real redeeming quality of Dunkontology, well, you get the idea... I don't care if people like Daishi and want to join it and keep it alive, but you couldn't get me to touch it with a ten-foot pole. I prefer my BM religions to not be jokes, however subtle.

Edit: Also, wow, we are WAY off-topic!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:10:40 PM by Geronus »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Sure maybe it could've been less blatantly obvious...
Which is, IMHO, all that needs to be done to make it more acceptable. Make it not so blatant a total rip of a scifi game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

skiarxon@gmail.com

Gustav Kuriga

Which is, IMHO, all that needs to be done to make it more acceptable. Make it not so blatant a total rip of a scifi game.

Dude, you're being an uptight jerk about this, just thought I'd let you know. We've had blatant rip-offs of other religions in this game, such as The Way of the Hammer and others. If you don't like the religion, fine, but don't go around bashing the players who made it and those who choose to have characters involved in it. They take the game just as seriously as you do, so talking about them "covering their mouths and snickering" in regards to the religion is just being an !@#$%^& towards those people.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
And if you're to ignore the "fluff", you may as well just join another religion altogether.

People will always pick and choose what parts or a religion to follow; nobody follows absolutely all aspects of any given religion. See also: Christians that support the death penalty and cutting welfare, Zionist jews, radicalized Muslims. In this instance, since the big stompy robots won't ever be seen in game, I really just couldn't give a !@#$ if I tried. In the end religion's more a guideline on how to live your life, you don't have to be a literalist in-game. You've always had a huge hate-boner for this religion for the stupidest goddamn reason. Get over it.
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Dude, you're being an uptight jerk about this, just thought I'd let you know. We've had blatant rip-offs of other religions in this game, such as The Way of the Hammer and others.
And again... I don't care if it's a blatant rip-off, so long as it's period appropriate. For example, the religion of Quintarianism that Anaris started in Riombara. It's a direct copy of the religion Lois McMaster Bujold created for her Chalion series. It's a direct copy, but it's period appropriate.

I understand how hard it is to create something original. Those who can do it have my utmost respect. I know that it's hard to come with something that is original and engaging.

If you don't like the religion, fine, but don't go around bashing the players who made it and those who choose to have characters involved in it. They take the game just as seriously as you do, so talking about them "covering their mouths and snickering" in regards to the religion is just being an !@#$%^& towards those people.
Maybe I was a little harsh. But that's what it feels like to me.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
You've always had a huge hate-boner for this religion

It's true. If I had a nickel for every time Chenier bashed Daishi, I'd only be a little less filthy rich than the guys who got a nickel every time he bashed Riombara or the Zuma.  8)

The difference is that usually no one bothers defending Daishi.

Elroy

Anaris - To answer your question quickly...take a look at any island's list of characters; there are large numbers of historical/mythological/etc names.  Realms and RP's are rife with references to everything from Charlemange and King Arthur to Braveheart and Monty Python...and everything in between.  There are no completely original ideas in Battlemaster (even in Outer Tilog, which adds a touch of Tim Burton and Matt Groening) - this is a medieval world, so we are all influenced by books, movies, etc, whether or not anyone will admit it.

There is a realm of f**king elves that takes less heat than Daishi - if no one knew that the founders of the religion enjoyed the Battlemaster game, not one person would think that "Armored Gods" were "robots."  Undeniably true.

As to why no one usually defends Daishi...most don't care about what people like Chenier and Indirik have to say.  I just like to remind them that they are wrong from time to time.  Of course, then that just gives them an excuse to talk...on second thought, maybe I will quit defending Daishi too.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
For the record, the elves are also lame and all references to them should be expunged from both the game and the wiki.

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
For the record, the elves are also lame and all references to them should be expunged from both the game and the wiki.

This is just your opinion... while I have a character in Sirion, I'm always defending the "elvish realm". Also, people out of Sirion (and even out of East Continent) is much more concerned about it than who are playing in Sirion or East Continent. In a low-fantasy medieval game with demons, undeads and monsters it's much more plausible and acceptable than robots with missiles that they call "metal javelins"... it's sci-fi, not medieval low fantasy. We all know that we are talking about robots, even if you call them "armored god flying over the sky with pillars of flame". But I know someone that will enjoy it:

Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Please don't practice thread necromancy for no good reason.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

Please don't practice thread necromancy for no good reason.

This, and please don't bring up a sore subject as well.