Author Topic: Cavalry digging in  (Read 1438 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Cavalry digging in
« Topic Start: May 06, 2013, 07:48:38 AM »
At what point will Cavalry that has dug in leave their fortifications and attack? Or will they not ever?

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Cavalry digging in
« Reply #1: May 06, 2013, 08:07:29 AM »
I believe that they will leave fortifications if they are set to be aggressive, if an enemy comes within charge range, or possibly if an archer is shooting at them and there are no other units on the field.

The archer thing I'm unsure of; while it would be logical for them to charge, and I believe I've seen them do so before, I do with utmost certainty recall a situation 5+ years back in which an army made up entirely of archers attacked a city. The aggressor's archers made short work of the enemy's archers (which were minimal or possibly non-existent) leaving only infantry defending the wall. The infantry, rather than seeing the futility of what they were doing, elected to stand there doing nothing as they suffered volley after volley of enemy fire. The battle ended in a stalemate, as the aggressor's forces, although unimpeded, weren't potent enough to kill all of the enemy infantry within the time frame (25 turns I believe) that a battle takes place in.

The aggressor was Sirion and the defender, I believe, was Oligarch. The city in question was Ashmoor.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 06, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »
I believe that they will leave fortifications if they are set to be aggressive, if an enemy comes within charge range, or possibly if an archer is shooting at them and there are no other units on the field.

The archer thing I'm unsure of; while it would be logical for them to charge, and I believe I've seen them do so before, I do with utmost certainty recall a situation 5+ years back in which an army made up entirely of archers attacked a city. The aggressor's archers made short work of the enemy's archers (which were minimal or possibly non-existent) leaving only infantry defending the wall. The infantry, rather than seeing the futility of what they were doing, elected to stand there doing nothing as they suffered volley after volley of enemy fire. The battle ended in a stalemate, as the aggressor's forces, although unimpeded, weren't potent enough to kill all of the enemy infantry within the time frame (25 turns I believe) that a battle takes place in.

The aggressor was Sirion and the defender, I believe, was Oligarch. The city in question was Ashmoor.

Infantry commonly step out of fortifications to deal with archers. Sometimes too hastily, though... The code has likely changed since.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 06, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
I believe it is related to your encounter settings. Units set to Aggressive will ignore the fact they have fortifications and charge the enemy immediately. Units on Normal wait two turns, and on Defensive wait four turns. This is just a hazy recollection, though. If the other side is all archers, things may get unpredictable, as there is some special code to deal with that, and it's not a common situation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 08, 2013, 06:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the help and advice, guys. Appreciate it.