Author Topic: Dynamic map feature: Troops  (Read 4711 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Dynamic map feature: Troops
« Topic Start: May 10, 2013, 08:04:57 PM »
I have to say, the new "Troops" feature of the Dynamic map is awesome. I love it.

One thing, though. It shows all armies (well, at least your own and allies' - I don't know about neutral or enemy armies) in your own regions, and if you're in a foreign region, it will show your armies in the same region as you. But it doesn't show your armies in other foreign regions. You can find out where your own nobles are by just looking at the Character page, so if the "Troops" feature showed all of your armies in foreign regions, it would not be giving away information you can't get by other methods.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic map feature: Troops
« Reply #1: May 10, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
You can see where your realm's nobles are outside your realm, but you can't see the troops they have with them.

There are plans to improve the game's handling of, essentially, knowing what you know; for instance, I hope to be able to add the capability to show data from scout reports on this map view. However, due to the time-locked nature of scribe notes, additional functionality will need to be built into the system to handle that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 10, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
But the Map Troops feature doesn't show the troops they have with them either (unless I'm missing an even cooler feature), just the fact that there is at least one noble of a particular army in that region.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 10, 2013, 08:31:09 PM »
But the Map Troops feature doesn't show the troops they have with them either (unless I'm missing an even cooler feature), just the fact that there is at least one noble of a particular army in that region.

Sure it does. Look at the borders around the army icons. ;D

...I haven't made a key for them yet, but roughly:

100 < CS <= 1000, green border
1000 < CS <= 7500, yellow border
above that, red border

Within each border color, there are 3 widths, that give an indication of how much CS within that range is in the region.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 10, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
Oh, that is cool. Is that only on Testing, though? On Stable, the icons don't have any borders.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 10, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
Oh, that is cool. Is that only on Testing, though? On Stable, the icons don't have any borders.

Oh, that's probably true.

I should be able to fix that.
Timothy Collett

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 11, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
So you know, advies can see those troops icons as well. I don't think that's intended.

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 11, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »
FYI, not seeing this feature (or army banners on the region info page, actually) on chrome. It's there on Firefox.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 11, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
If you use adblock or anything similar, whitelist the battlemaster.org domain.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 11, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
So you know, advies can see those troops icons as well. I don't think that's intended.

Hm. No, it's not. I'll have to look into that.
Timothy Collett

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 11, 2013, 04:04:40 PM »
FYI, not seeing this feature (or army banners on the region info page, actually) on chrome. It's there on Firefox.

As Indirik says, you probably need to put an exception for BattleMaster into AdBlock. The army banner script is called "banner_image.php", which raises red flags in most adblocking software.

You can also be pretty damn sure that Tom's never going to be serving you any actual ads.
Timothy Collett

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 11, 2013, 06:16:33 PM »
Ah, thanks. That's fixed it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: May 11, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
As Indirik says, you probably need to put an exception for BattleMaster into AdBlock. The army banner script is called "banner_image.php", which raises red flags in most adblocking software.

Or... you know... we could just rename the script. :-)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 11, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »
Or... you know... we could just rename the script. :-)

Well, can you suggest something that still makes sense, but won't trigger Adblock? :P
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 11, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
Flag
Icon
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.