Author Topic: REJECTED:Feature Idea: Public Debate (riffing on Dueling, but for Oratory types)  (Read 4230 times)

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
While the feature sounds interesting, there aren't many mechanics to explore outside of personal honor and prestige- which should not be so easy to gain.  Orators can already show their skills by competing to convert, or see who is more skilled in lauding/badmouthing realms.  The only way for this to work much as a mechanic outside of H/P gain/loss is to put more on the line; such as the victor, in a priest debate,  comes out with a slight gain in followers, and the loser suffers a dramatic loss in followers.  For diplomats I suppose you would choose who to laud and badmouth when choosing your debate strategy, and reach similar outcomes in terms of sympathy as you would followers.

As you aren't really fighting, but really just arguing points, I don't honestly see how prestige or honor really tie into at all.  Perhaps if you win debates often you might see more prestige, but I don't know about it..

This would be a ridiculous tool for saboteur priests to convert regions to another religion though.