Author Topic: Report assasination  (Read 3820 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Report assasination
« Topic Start: May 01, 2013, 02:34:24 PM »
This would be a way od offing your character besides using the delete botun. When you get stabed by infiltrator you can kill your character with this feature. It would:
a) sent a mesage to every character on the island reporting your assasination/death
b) your character's death would be writen in your family history along with the killer's name/ also your character's name would writen in the family history of the killer

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Report assasination
« Reply #1: May 01, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
If you wish to submit a feature request, please make sure to follow the submission rules.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 01, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »
In addition to what Anaris said, reporting the assassin's name is not a good idea. You may not know who did it. It also completely invalidates the "plausible deniability" aspect of infiltrators.

Having said that, I like the idea of a player having the option to let their character die after receiving a serious wound from an infiltrator. Or possibly any time a character is seriously wounded, give the player an option of dying from the wound, with the wound's source recorded in the family history. "Beaten to death by a peasant mob."  "Slain by an unknown assassin." Etc....

The messages would have to make it clear that these are different from heroic death, etc.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:21:01 PM by Indirik »
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Eirikr

« Reply #3: May 02, 2013, 01:12:15 AM »
In addition to what Anaris said, reporting the assassin's name is not a good idea. You may not know who did it. It also completely invalidates the "plausible deniability" aspect of infiltrators.

I agree with your intent, but he specifically notes "in the family history". Isn't that information only available via user info page or to yourself upon logging in? Unless you have two characters in the same realm, that info isn't going to do you much good.

The only information being reported to where it can be immediately used is that the victim has died (and how).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 02, 2013, 01:13:48 AM »
I agree with your intent, but he specifically notes "in the family history". Isn't that information only available via user info page or to yourself upon logging in? Unless you have two characters in the same realm, that info isn't going to do you much good.

The only information being reported to where it can be immediately used is that the victim has died (and how).

Everybody can see your family history, all the time, without even being logged in.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 02, 2013, 04:25:58 AM »
Everybody can see your family history, all the time, without even being logged in.
And its IC, correct?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 02, 2013, 04:38:51 AM »
Yes, family history is considered IC knowledge.

The OP stated that he desired the name of the assassin to be added to the victim's family history, and the name of the victim to be added to the assassin's family history: "b) your character's death would be writen in your family history along with the killer's name/ also your character's name would writen in the family history of the killer"

There are many cases where the name of the assassin is never discovered, or the wrong person is blamed. How would anyone know who really did it? And if you were never identified, how would anyone know to blame you, so as to record it in your family history? Adding it to family history would be a horribly meta-gamey piece of information. It would be much better to simply tag the victim's history with "Slain by an unknown assassin".

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 02, 2013, 05:03:43 AM »
This is a GREAT idea.

So many people already strive to find ways to cover their deletions with IC, RP reasons. Giving several in game options would be great. Not only that, hell it may improve character deaths if people have fun ways to do it and the character can be remembered, and maybe even turnover of positions, etc. would increase a little bit.

There should be options for killing off your character from infiltrator and battle wounds.

I also like the idea of giving the option to make a character a deletion show up as a character death instead, where you either choose from a list of explanations (passed in his sleep, fever, choked on a piece of mutton, drunk himself to death) or maybe even provide a text box for your own explanation.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Eirikr

« Reply #8: May 02, 2013, 05:39:02 AM »
The OP stated that he desired the name of the assassin to be added to the victim's family history, and the name of the victim to be added to the assassin's family history: "b) your character's death would be writen in your family history along with the killer's name/ also your character's name would writen in the family history of the killer"

There are many cases where the name of the assassin is never discovered, or the wrong person is blamed. How would anyone know who really did it? And if you were never identified, how would anyone know to blame you, so as to record it in your family history? Adding it to family history would be a horribly meta-gamey piece of information. It would be much better to simply tag the victim's history with "Slain by an unknown assassin".

I'd accept that line of thought. I'd always known that family history is IC and publicly available, but I've always found it tedious to get to (which I assumed was purposeful). I like the unknown assassin concept as a replacement.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 02, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
And its IC, correct?

The only part of family history which is not fully IC is the inclusion of adventurers alongside nobles. That should be considered, at best, uncorroborated rumour.
Timothy Collett

OFaolain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 05, 2013, 03:44:02 AM »

If an assassination is successful, can the infiltrator still be caught?  Kind of tangential (as it's a mechanical question), but could for instance Duke Kepler be stabbed by Sir Evil, who is caught in the act by, but escapes (or doesn't), the guards?

I do really like the idea of making character deaths more flavorful.  "Character died" just seems really drab when it could be "Character executed by order of the Judge of Keplerstan".  Speaking of which, how difficult would it be to add a check to see whether the cause (judge's name in case of execution, or character for hero's killed in battle) is known and include that in family history?  Or is that basically the job of players and what the Wiki is there for?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:46:09 AM by OFaolain »
MacGeil Family: Cathan (Corsanctum)
Formerly the O'Faolain, then Nisbet families

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 05, 2013, 05:32:43 AM »
If an assassination is successful, can the infiltrator still be caught?
Yes. There are many opportunities to fail when assaulting someone.

Kind of tangential (as it's a mechanical question), but could for instance Duke Kepler be stabbed by Sir Evil, who is caught in the act by, but escapes (or doesn't), the guards?
If by "caught in the act" you mean "spotted and identified, but not physically captured", then yes. You can perform a flawless assassination, but get clearly spotted and identified, but still escape unharmed and uncaptured.

I do really like the idea of making character deaths more flavorful.  "Character died" just seems really drab when it could be "Character executed by order of the Judge of Keplerstan".  Speaking of which, how difficult would it be to add a check to see whether the cause (judge's name in case of execution, or character for hero's killed in battle) is known and include that in family history?  Or is that basically the job of players and what the Wiki is there for?
The executing judge's name is already recorded in family history. Death in battle probably could be done without too much difficulty, as the unit responsible is already reported during the battle.