Author Topic: Stronghold Duchy  (Read 5684 times)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Stronghold Duchy
« Topic Start: May 16, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »

Can a stronghold be its own duchy? If not, how were we able to have one before? If so, how come I am unable to make one now?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Zakilevo

Re: Stronghold Duchy
« Reply #1: May 16, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
Yes.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 16, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
I understand Balance's Retreat does not have a Lord at the moment? You don't make a Duchy out of a stronghold - you promote a Margrave to Duke, and his region becomes the core of his duchy.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 16, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »

Okay, so the issue then is that I cannot appoint myself Margrave of BR, because I cannot take an estate in the region (when transferred over it joined the other duchy and so I can't be lower than the other Duke) and so I can't make myself the Duke.

Other than resigning from being ruler, is there a way to get around this? Seems kind of severe to me...then again, this game has gone to great and extreme lengths to do severe things to me :)
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 16, 2013, 12:36:13 PM »
Okay, so the issue then is that I cannot appoint myself Margrave of BR, because I cannot take an estate in the region (when transferred over it joined the other duchy and so I can't be lower than the other Duke) and so I can't make myself the Duke.

Other than resigning from being ruler, is there a way to get around this? Seems kind of severe to me...then again, this game has gone to great and extreme lengths to do severe things to me :)

Multiple threads have been written on this. It's extremely inconveniant and requires massive acrobatics to successfully become duke after becoming ruler. For example, if you get elected to the position, the game only gives you 2 hours before the allegiance "fix" code kicks you out. Splendid, isn't it?

There's no good solution. All means to achieve this are extremely gamey. You can either step down, let someone else become ruler and get him to make you duke, and then seek to become ruler again. Or, you can promote someone else to become duke, and ask him to step down to make yourself duke. Both of these "solutions" are borderline placeholder situations, which is against policy.

But until the devs decide that it's be better for the allegiance auto-"fix" code to create a new duchy for the ruler instead of kicking him out of his lands, it's pretty much the only solutions available.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 16, 2013, 11:15:51 PM »
Or people could try to share power with fellow players, particularly newer ones, instead of playing margrave/duke/kings. Might help keep some newer players around to get them involved.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 16, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »
"Hey you, newb. Yeah you! Wanna be king?"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 17, 2013, 12:19:07 AM »
Or people could try to share power with fellow players, particularly newer ones, instead of playing margrave/duke/kings.

Who is to say that he isn't? Or that any of the dozens of people in this scenario aren't? Rulers know as well as anyone else that you need to keep the carrots in front of the players. That doesn't mean this isn't a problem.

The game permits rulers to hold land but it does so through a very roundabout means. Even that is preferable to the previous system of 'rulers can't hold land except in tyrannies.'

The way BM handles this is very clunky and gamey. If you don't want to allow it, don't allow it. If you want to allow it, make it do-able in a way that is intuitive and makes sense.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 17, 2013, 02:05:59 AM »
Or people could try to share power with fellow players, particularly newer ones, instead of playing margrave/duke/kings. Might help keep some newer players around to get them involved.

It'd be problematic if 5% of a realm's nobles hold 75% of the titles. However, that isn't the case. Almost everyone, everywhere, is a lord, or has some title of some sort. Being a ruler/duke isn't really hogging titles all that much, especially considering that the ruler wouldn't have created that duchy to begin with otherwise.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 17, 2013, 02:39:27 AM »
The way it is right now isn't exactly the way it was intended. The lack of ability for a Ruler to make himself a Duke was an oversight, and we're still working on what the best way is to get it implemented.

But I'm afraid it isn't currently a top priority.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 17, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »

My ruler position is an elected one, not permanent (and part of the deal for me to become Duke/Margrave was that I won't campaign in the next election). More than that, we don't want to give away the capital duchy to just anyone, we already suffered enough as it is because of the previous guy. Plus, we held a vote for Bowie to become Duke. Everything is a green light for this to go down except for the game mechanic. I don't understand why a Ruler can't do this...

The way it is right now isn't exactly the way it was intended. The lack of ability for a Ruler to make himself a Duke was an oversight, and we're still working on what the best way is to get it implemented.

But I'm afraid it isn't currently a top priority.

Oh...well, great.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 17, 2013, 05:58:18 AM »
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but can't you simply drop your current estate, take up the dukeship, then appoint yourself lord?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 17, 2013, 06:53:46 AM »

As ruler I have no estate. I can't take an estate in BR because the stronghold is already under a duchy and thereby I would be below the hierarchy line. I can't secede the stronghold to make it its own duchy because there is no Lord there. Our other Duke cannot appoint me Margrave because I would first need an estate in the stronghold. So because I am the top noble in the hierarchy line I have zero power to decide who reigns BR.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 17, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
As ruler I have no estate. I can't take an estate in BR because the stronghold is already under a duchy and thereby I would be below the hierarchy line. I can't secede the stronghold to make it its own duchy because there is no Lord there. Our other Duke cannot appoint me Margrave because I would first need an estate in the stronghold. So because I am the top noble in the hierarchy line I have zero power to decide who reigns BR.

Placeholder, it's the only way. Got a buddy who would accept to get the promotions and then step down for you? Maybe you can reward his troubles with either keeping the region (though not the duchy) or simply a bit of gold.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 17, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
Placeholder, it's the only way. Got a buddy who would accept to get the promotions and then step down for you? Maybe you can reward his troubles with either keeping the region (though not the duchy) or simply a bit of gold.

There's that "no placeholder" rule to consider here.
After all it's a roleplaying game.