Author Topic: And the award for best heroic death goes to....  (Read 6677 times)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
When most heroes die, you're lucky to see many comments about it from other characters. The world just keeps turning. So which heroic deaths do you feel actually meant something? Either became it was a fitting end for the character or because there was some actual weight to it through roleplays or other things.

My two contenders for the best heroic death award are Alpha and Rhidhana.

When Alpha just died on FEI, there was a real sense of shock and loss (Velax OOC comment: "holy s**t"). One of the great personalities, and commanders, on the island was dead. Added to this were the roleplays of other characters expressing their shock at the news, and Alpha's Arcaean son crossing the frontlines to attend the funeral pyre with the Kindarans.

Rhidhana gets my second vote because I've never seen a hero die at a more fitting moment. Her death during the final defence of Krimml was the perfect end for the character. She embodied Fontan, and dying at the same moment the realm died was verging on the poetic.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Helios Raiva in Nahad for primarily the same reasons you listed for Rhidhana.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Man, I can't find it anywhere anymore... I know it was on the wiki...

Anyone remember that Avalon hero, I think he was duke of the capital and/or judge or something, that in the third invasion said that he'd fight Jean-Olivier Chénier, King of Fwuvoghor, until the day he dies, and literally five minutes later he is killed in battle by the daimons Jean-Olivier sent against Avalon?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I knew it was on some funny quotes page:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Quotes

Famous Last Words
Roleplay from Thorson Jorvik
Message sent to Message sent to the Rulers of Beluaterra (21 recipients)
Scout Report (Lacint): Scribe Note

JeanOlivier, you have written your own death sentence. I will have your head if it took me forever.
Thorson Jorvik (Duke of Cteduul)
Approximately 12 minutes later:

Huge Battle Fought (24 minutes ago)
Rumours spread and tales are sung about a huge battle in Cteduul:
Republic of Fwuvoghor vs. Avalon
Estimated combat strengths: 33000 CS vs. 6000 CS
Sir Nezumi Vecchio Ratto, Baron of Norjke is spotted wearing the Splendid Band of Glory.
soulreaver thor (Knight of Wilwau) is spotted wearing the Splendid Ring.
The hero Sir Thorson Jorvik, Duke of Cteduul was killed.
Sir Nezumi Vecchio Ratto, Baron of Norjke was seriously wounded.
Vel'dunin M'suryn'kar (Knight of Lacint, Avalon) was seriously wounded.
Attacker Victory!

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Man, I can't find it anywhere anymore... I know it was on the wiki...

Anyone remember that Avalon hero, I think he was duke of the capital and/or judge or something, that in the third invasion said that he'd fight Jean-Olivier Chénier, King of Fwuvoghor, until the day he dies, and literally five minutes later he is killed in battle by the daimons Jean-Olivier sent against Avalon?

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Quotes#Famous_Last_Words
After all it's a roleplaying game.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Julma Jaune, king of Thalmarkin also said that he is Semi God and Immortal... died 2 days later on duel against Enweilian Duke.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Too bad Skyndarbau didn't die against Alice ...

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
One of the worst heroic deaths has to go to Galiard's cousin Septimus, then ruler of Ethiala, which he had successfully saved from destruction ... only to get killed in a border skirmish in a war with Lasanar that was winding down. I think there were maybe a hundred and fifty people on both sides of the battle.

Similar to Richard the Lionheart - survive the crusades and a lifetime of military campaigns only to get picked off by a lucky archer during a siege.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Thorson Jorvik has to be the most ironic.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Raziel the Second went out like a badass. He and three other of the continents top swordsman (80% plus all around) gathered in Barad Lacrinth (atamara) to duel to the death. Raziel beat the first one (didn't kill him) and then died in the second battle, and confessed with his dying breath that he was in love with his best friend's, duke of the wealthiest city on the island at the time, wife.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
Scarlett, if it's any consolation- seeing Septimus's death was one of the things that first convinced me to stick with BM. "What, the most powerful character here just died? This is clearly not like any other game."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I have had three heroes in my family die. The first two were rulers of large realms. The third was general of one of the most militarily powerful realms on the island. Clearly, any hero can die in any battle.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Two of my very favorite characters died memorably.

Valak in the FEI began as nothing and ended up General of multiple realms, founder of a great guild, saved two nations, survived many many duels to the death, ousted evil cults, and ended up a King...before promptly dieing in a duel against a former friend and guild mate.

~Opposite~

Valast was the King of Lukon for ages... always on top of the world.  Died in a random encounter in the back woods of the middle of nowhere against a small unit that just happened to be in the way.

:-P

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
I hate to nominate one of my own characters but Erisha Da Hadez  death in The Colonies was a doozy.

Spent a couple of years helping fighting and winning a war, annihilating the enemy realms. Key in negotiating the joint creation of a new realm from their territory with nobles from allied realms. Arrives in the new realm for the formality of being appointed ruler.. immediately slain in an accidental battle against the new realm caused by a newbie player forgetting to move from aggressive to evasive when returning home.

For extra cringeworthy irony points that player is my real-life wife.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:01:09 AM by wraith »
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."