Author Topic: OOC cliques  (Read 8705 times)

Chaotrance13

OOC cliques
« Topic Start: May 16, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
At the moment, my least favourite island is FEI. I just find it really quite boring at the moment, I've had nothing to do on Malos for quite some time apart from travelling around and maintaining temples. But part of that might be down to the fact that Kindara seems to follow a policy of OOC excluding people they don't like.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:21:39 PM by Velax »

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Re: LEAST favorite
« Reply #1: May 16, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
I've had nothing to do on Malos for quite some time apart from travelling around and maintaining temples.

It is very hard to get involved as a priest because you are (by definition) a lot more useless than your countrymen. I am having the same problem in Arcaea. As a priest my character has limited use, plus he's related to the guy the whole realm is at war with so the assumption is that he's not loyal anyway. And while frustrating, it's also perfectly normal. If he were riding around with a 1200 CS unit willing to charge into battle, everybody would probably be more willing to overlook his family ties. If my character weren't the founder of a religion I probably would un-priest him.

Medieval nobles were first and foremost military men. Take that away and the number of things with which you can be involved is smaller unless you happen to be involved in local politics or your church has a big political base.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 16, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »
But part of that might be down to the fact that Kindara seems to follow a policy of OOC excluding people they don't like.

If Malos did something IC aside from scream about how unfair his life is and about how mean the world is while saying how he plans to bring down the most influential nobles in Kindara that arent currently tied to his church he'd likely be included in things again. When all you do is shout at people IC you shouldn't be surprised when other characters don't particularly care to deal with you. Even if you don't like other characters, not acting like an entitled jerk every time you speak tends to get you farther.

The only OOC grudge I hold against you is your apparent inability to separate OOC and IC while the rest of us are happy to do so. Edmund just thinks Malos is an idiot and has yet to be proven wrong in game, so he ignores him. Considering the fact that half the realm council belongs to the Church of Humanity, you claim of OOC prejudice kind of falls flat.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 16, 2013, 04:09:25 PM »
But part of that might be down to the fact that Kindara seems to follow a policy of OOC excluding people they don't like.

Nothing OOC about it. Malos' outbursts against high ranking nobles didn't much help his cause. You picked a hard road with Malos, being a foreign priest in the heart of, potentially, the biggest and most active religion on the island.

Deytheur

« Reply #4: May 16, 2013, 04:44:36 PM »
Considering the fact that half the realm council belongs to the Church of Humanity, ...

Wow CoH really does get around, I didn't know it was on FEI as well as EC and BT.  ???

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 16, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
Kindara seems to follow a policy of OOC excluding people they don't like.

That was my experience there as well; hence why my character their emigrated. Seemed to have a pretty strong OOC clique; like Eston before the Treaty of Hawthorne.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 16, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
That was my experience there as well; hence why my character their emigrated. Seemed to have a pretty strong OOC clique; like Eston before the Treaty of Hawthorne.

See, what bothers me is that it just doesn't exist. The only OOC messages I ever really write rarely talk about actual in game events. Yes, there is a pretty tight group of IC connections where behind the scenes planning takes place, but Edmund usually makes sure to filter down anything that is sure to happen or needs to be agreed upon by the realm with the Great Debate Hall, which exists for that very reason.

If your character felt they were being excluded I'd welcome suggestions on how we can improve accessibility for the realm for everyone involved.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 16, 2013, 06:03:54 PM »
The ruler's OOC obligation to make the game accessible does not extend to subverting in-game politics to that cause.

I mean, we took a whole duchy away from Kindara and then became friends. It's tough for me to imagine that a realm willing to overcome that would be manufacturing reasons to exclude people.

Incidentally, Quintus was 'excluded' from pretty much every council Vellos had anything to do with in Terran, and you don't hear me bitching about it. Quintus was who he was and people responded accordingly. Sometimes it served him and sometimes it hindered him. If I'd wanted more involvement in the realm strategy I could have easily made him more conciliatory. You gotta earn political capital before you can expect to have any to spend.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 16, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Blah

Going out of their way to attack and antagonise one of the most powerful Dukes in Kindara while still a new noble and then throwing a hissy fit when he didn't get a lordship he wanted, attacking another Duke and the Ruler in the process, seem like perfectly good reasons to IC exclude someone from power. There doesn't have to be anything OOC about it. Your character acted like a spoiled brat and is now reaping the consequences.

It reminds me of the time when a new Arcaean noble, upon being told that rape and pillage was expressly outlawed and one of the worst crimes in the realm, immediately went to a neighbouring peaceful realm and had his troops rape and murder. Upon being punished, he demanded the Ruler apologise to him and then was seemingly shocked when he was no longer welcome in the realm.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 16, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »

Out of curiosity, what gave you this impression? As I recall, Onamont got the first Lordship that came available despite being fairly new to the realm because of the services he rendered as an adventurer.

There isn't and hasn't been an OOC group in Kindara. I was there from day one. Alpha had a part in probably every decision that was made in the almost 3 years of Kindara's existence, so if such a group was present I would know. The ruling council has typically been closely knit, but changes when council members are replaced.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:03:12 PM by LGMAlpha »

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 16, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
Hah, just realised I did what I told other people not to do. Defend my realm from attacks by bitter people. Very naughty Mod.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #11: May 16, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Going out of their way to attack and antagonise one of the most powerful Dukes in Kindara while still a new noble and then throwing a hissy fit when he didn't get a lordship he wanted, attacking another Duke and the Ruler in the process, seem like perfectly good reasons to IC exclude someone from power. There doesn't have to be anything OOC about it. Your character acted like a spoiled brat and is now reaping the consequences.

It reminds me of the time when a new Arcaean noble, upon being told that rape and pillage was expressly outlawed and one of the worst crimes in the realm, immediately went to a neighbouring peaceful realm and had his troops rape and murder. Upon being punished, he demanded the Ruler apologise to him and then was seemingly shocked when he was no longer welcome in the realm.

You and Ender have been nothing but dicks to myself as the player, with you once telling me practically to STFU when I objected OOCly to being told that Priests were a useless class as well as in another thread having the nerve to call me "abnormal". The fact that you reply with "blah" to my quote is frankly !@#$ing immature as well, which proves my point. You two are following an OOC vendetta for no good reason other than "because we can".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:04:18 PM by Ravier »

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 16, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »
The only problem with your theory, Ravier, is that I just don't care enough about you to have an OOC vendetta. You really aren't that relevant in Kindara.

Chaotrance13

« Reply #13: May 16, 2013, 07:14:37 PM »
The only problem with your theory, Ravier, is that I just don't care enough about you to have an OOC vendetta. You really aren't that relevant in Kindara.

So you don't deny that you and Ender have been !@#$%^&s to me for no good reason?

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: May 16, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »

And he is still in your realm? I am surprised by Kindaran generosity.