Author Topic: 101 Ways to Destabalize the Northern Astroist Federation  (Read 77458 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
This is absolutely correct.

If Chénier hadn't insisted on the Aztec-inspired naming and such, I honestly don't see any good reason why his original Blood Cult ideas wouldn't have fit Dwilight just fine. From what I can remember of the basic principles, they were pretty abhorrent to modern Westerners, but would be relatively reasonable to a medieval non-Abrahamic society.

Not to mention in a society where monsters and undead are a fact of life, and seasonal renewal has always been a point of contention. (Hell, look at most early harvest religions, period. King/noble-sacrifice-and-rebirth is everywhere, and not always only symbolic.) But I'm pulling us off-topic, I think.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
 It would be nice to see some new religions prosper on Dwilight. When was the last religion started up?

Also, is there any relatively successful ones now? AP was doing well for a while but it's gone now, right?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Just my personal opinion, but I really hate the whole "ritual/planned" warfare thing. It's just a way for the unmotivated and bored people who are too risk-averse to fight a war, to pretend that they're fighting a war. This doesn't fix any problems.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
It would be nice to see some new religions prosper on Dwilight. When was the last religion started up?

Also, is there any relatively successful ones now? AP was doing well for a while but it's gone now, right?

Cult of Reason is the newest, I think.

I think Cult of the Bloodmoon is moderately successful.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

It'd be nicer to see existing ones become more lively.

AP still has at least one priest and a few followers in D'Hara...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
It'd be nicer to see existing ones become more lively.

AP still has at least one priest and a few followers in D'Hara...

It'd be nicer still to see all the heathens convert to SA, and have us all, even if for only a single moment, get the chance to experience an actual medieval game where we all share a common faith and the religious leaders wield power in a fickle, arbitrary, and self-serving fashion.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
It'd be nicer still to see all the heathens convert to SA, and have us all, even if for only a single moment, get the chance to experience an actual medieval game where we all share a common faith and the religious leaders wield power in a fickle, arbitrary, and self-serving fashion.

Earth was never 100% catholic (nor even Europe, for that matter), and as such I see no need for Dwilight to be 100% astroist.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Just my personal opinion, but I really hate the whole "ritual/planned" warfare thing. It's just a way for the unmotivated and bored people who are too risk-averse to fight a war, to pretend that they're fighting a war. This doesn't fix any problems.

I think it'd be more risk-averse than most wars if it was fought over the right to sacrifice nobles. Most wars are fought with the assurance that your character will live unless they're an unlucky hero. Without that? A lot more uncertain.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Mock wars can still cripple realms and force new geopolitical realities, even if they only started out as fun and games.

After all, the Flower Wars were really just a means for the Aztecs to regularly beat their neighbors into submission through smaller-scale skirmishes without being forced into an all-out war.

Zakilevo

And just how on earth are people going to enforce the defeated nobles to sacrifice themselves?

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
And just how on earth are people going to enforce the defeated nobles to sacrifice themselves?

Religion + Game Mechanic Executions + Roleplay

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

Have the targetted nobles banned from all faithful realms.

More efficient would be to hunt for the other realm's advies, though, and execute them. Eventually, advies would flee these realms... but then the faithful realms could start hunting abroad for the advies. Would have provided for interesting RP.

In Fheuv'n, I had called for the arrest (kidnap) of all foreign advies our troops found, once, to force them into our realm. That campaign was rather short-lived, though, so I don't think we ever captured more than one or two. Still, it'd seem like something that some type of realms ought to do more of.

Zakilevo

Religion + Game Mechanic Executions + Roleplay

Game Mechanic Executions? How are you going to force that? Unless this religion becomes big enough, people will simply just leave the area and go somewhere else instead of being executed.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What do you think is happening now? >_<

Some people are claiming it wont do anything.

I for one say burn the heretics and exile the apostates.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Some people are claiming it wont do anything.

I for one say burn the heretics and exile the apostates.

No way there is a schism. Why? There is no game mechanic to do it.

No one wants to the be ones having to essentially start from scratch for their schism-ed religion.

And if they did try, it would be incredibly hard to do and they would likely just fail hard and be destroyed.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)