Author Topic: 101 Ways to Destabalize the Northern Astroist Federation  (Read 78468 times)

Wolfsong

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • FutureMUD
Game Mechanic Executions? How are you going to force that? Unless this religion becomes big enough, people will simply just leave the area and go somewhere else instead of being executed.

That's if you do it poorly. In a well-crafted society, being sacrificed to the gods would be the ultimate reward for a warrior who has fought well in battle. You wouldn't kill everyone wholesale, of course. Let's not get greedy - BM isn't a big enough game for that. But let's say you have a religious war, and the heads of the religion come together beforehand and say - well, okay, the gods are displeased with us. The crops have been failing, and people are restless. To remedy this, we're going to war. In addition to that, to placate the gods, 3 nobles from each side are going to be sacrificed out of all the nobles captured in the war. The people who capture these sacrificed nobles? Honours are heaped upon them - lordships, power, gold, titles. What determines who is sacrificed? The gods, obviously. There will be signs. (Or backroom political dealings, who knows.)

In summary? Hell, just make it fun. People can leave and play in traditional realms where they idle for weeks on end until they eek out a rural lordship and then idle for weeks on end until they eek out a better one, or they can join a society where fortune is won and lost in radically different ways.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
No way there is a schism. Why? There is no game mechanic to do it.

No one wants to the be ones having to essentially start from scratch for their schism-ed religion.

And if they did try, it would be incredibly hard to do and they would likely just fail hard and be destroyed.

There's a simple game mechanic. You leave the current religion and found a new one based on it.

Last time there was a schism it lasted for some time and only failed because Allison alienated herself from the host nation. The church really didn't do anything. The Prophet declared it evil mostly because Allison failed to come up with any legitimate religious basis for the faith. You could probably house an SA schism in Asylon, Libero or a southern realm quite easily. Remember several realms still have religious freedom.

Gustav Kuriga

There's a simple game mechanic. You leave the current religion and found a new one based on it.

Last time there was a schism it lasted for some time and only failed because Allison alienated herself from the host nation. The church really didn't do anything. The Prophet declared it evil mostly because Allison failed to come up with any legitimate religious basis for the faith. You could probably house an SA schism in Asylon, Libero or a southern realm quite easily. Remember several realms still have religious freedom.

I have never in all my life seen someone so completely in denial...

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
So why do others care so much about the Astroist realms? Shouldn't they have the right to be bored, gradually lose players and hurt the reputation of Dwi and BM in general?

Gustav Kuriga

So why do others care so much about the Astroist realms? Shouldn't they have the right to be bored, gradually lose players and hurt the reputation of Dwi and BM in general?

They don't have to be boring, but this is the wrong way of going about it.

Honestly though, I just think of it IC as the Church being corrupt and the Prophet going senile...

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
You could probably house an SA schism in Asylon, Libero or a southern realm quite easily. Remember several realms still have religious freedom.

Yes, Asylon has religious freedom, but we would not host an SA schism, as defending such a thing would go against Asylonian standards. So no, it would not be "quite easily" done.
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Schisms, supported by game code, are On The List. And Gustav is quite right. There are serious philosophical differences between some of the power players in SA. Never mind the politicking and secular crap.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
... we would not host an SA schism, as defending such a thing would go against Asylonian standards.

Curse you, Grimrog! You make it so damn hard not to troll... >:(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bjarnson

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Curse you, Grimrog! You make it so damn hard not to troll... >:(

Sorry, I will go back into the shadows and lurk =).
King Grimrog Bjarnson of Asylon.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Sorry, I will go back into the shadows and lurk =).
No, no, your posts are generally pretty good and never aggressive.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Tandaros

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Schisms, supported by game code, are On The List. And Gustav is quite right. There are serious philosophical differences between some of the power players in SA. Never mind the politicking and secular crap.

a) VERY happy to hear schism mechanics are coming.
b) I really hope the pressure cooker that is SA's massive philosophical dissonance will explode all over Dwilight in the very near future.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
a) VERY happy to hear schism mechanics are coming.
b) I really hope the pressure cooker that is SA's massive philosophical dissonance will explode all over Dwilight in the very near future.

It's a race right now between SA's expansionists and schism code.

I hope SA can exterminate all rival religions before schism code gets added. I'd really love to see a continent that actually feels Medieval, i.e. one religious tradition unites practically the whole area. If it schisms after, that's totally fine by me, I'd just like it to happen for a moment.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
It's a race right now between SA's expansionists and schism code.

I hope SA can exterminate all rival religions before schism code gets added. I'd really love to see a continent that actually feels Medieval, i.e. one religious tradition unites practically the whole area. If it schisms after, that's totally fine by me, I'd just like it to happen for a moment.

As I understand, it's pretty far down on the list so there may be a chance.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt SA will ever fully dominant the whole continent. At least in actual terms, it is clear they politically/militarily already do.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
I have serious doubts also...

Let me elaborate, I do not want SA destabilized or destroyed, I do not want to lord over its corpse. Its more valuable alive and thriving in Dwilight, I dont want to play in a wasteland. I do not need to travel from one end of Dwilight to the other and see it as one theocracy either. When I see Dwilight I see the lands of Conan, Lord of the rings and other worlds. I see its cultures and races and religions and I value them as making the story better. Aye, and I desire to fight every one of them. For some you will desire to see a hegemony, for others diaspora. SA doesnt bother me but the mindset of its playerbase sometimes does.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:10:36 AM by Glaumring the Fox »
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
As I understand, it's pretty far down on the list so there may be a chance.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt SA will ever fully dominant the whole continent. At least in actual terms, it is clear they politically/militarily already do.

I mean, all we need to achieve this is:
1. Humiliate Asylon and get Phantaria incorporated/converted
2. Open up Barca to conversion and temple-building
3. Complete conversion of Fissoa
4. Destroy and replace Falkirk
5. Convert Aurvandil

Items 1-3 are all totally feasible and seem likely to be achieved. Item 4 is harder, but certainly do-able. Item 5 would be a real trick.

But if we are able to Astroize the whole continent except Aurvandil, that'll be enough for me. I'm fine with having one pariah state.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner