Author Topic: Isolated regions  (Read 4017 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Isolated regions
« Topic Start: May 21, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »
If a region is cut off from the rest of its realm (ie has no connecting regions), does it suffer penalties to region stats of any sort?

Zakilevo

Re: Isolated regions
« Reply #1: May 21, 2013, 06:43:27 AM »
If a region is cut off from the rest of its realm (ie has no connecting regions), does it suffer penalties to region stats of any sort?

Not that I know of.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 21, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
None that I've witnessed in D'Hara.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 21, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »
No, there are none.

Perhaps there should be (with obvious mitigating effects for crossing bodies of water), but there aren't.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 21, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
Huh. I always thought there were. Guess it's one of those things I convinced myself must be true, like Advies needing to be banned before execution.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 21, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »
Many years ago it was assumed that this was the case (at least, that was the conventional wisdom that I learned) and 'cutting a realm in half' was meant to be a good strategy. I've never actually witnessed it having an impact though.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 21, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »
Though at that time, food moved from region to region as well. Cutting the Realm in half would have resulted in food being stuck on one of the sides unless you moved it with caravans. It could help starve Cities if the Realm in question couldn't move food too reliably and was short on food.

egamma

« Reply #7: May 21, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
There are distance from the capital penalties for regions. If your cutoff region is close to the capital, it should be okay; if it's across the continent, you'll lose it quickly.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 27, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
There used to be penalties if a region is cut off from the capital. This has not been the case for several years.

(Nobody remembers this? Guess I'm an oldbie...)
------
qui audet vincit

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 27, 2013, 08:30:38 AM »
!@#$, when did that change?
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 27, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
There used to be penalties if a region is cut off from the capital. This has not been the case for several years.

I thought this is how it was. It seems to have changed, though I'm not sure when.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: May 27, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »

Just because you remember it being the case does not mean it was ever the case.

There are a number of pieces of "common knowledge" in BattleMaster that have been completely false.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 03, 2013, 02:18:19 AM »
Which is more likely, Anaris? That this used to be a feature in the past? Or that BM causes mass hallucinations among its player base? ;)

I distinctly remember my chars having entire strategy discussions about how to cut off enemy regions from the capital, precisely in order to trigger this effect.

Surely at least one of the Devs (or Tom) remembers this feature?

(And yes, I remember seeing it triggering, dammit. The message was something like "Region _ is cut off from the realm capital, causing morale and control to plummet.")
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:19:50 AM by GoldPanda »
------
qui audet vincit

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 03, 2013, 02:28:00 AM »
I distinctly remember my chars having entire strategy discussions about how to cut off enemy regions from the capital, precisely in order to trigger this effect.
I remember discussions like that, too. And then disappointment when we managed to cut the realm in half, and none of the dire predictions actually came true. :(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 03, 2013, 02:34:58 AM »
Which is more likely, Anaris? That this used to be a feature in the past? Or that BM causes mass hallucinations among its player base? ;)

Honestly? I'd say the latter.
Timothy Collett