Author Topic: Propogandize Me  (Read 39476 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Propogandize Me
« Reply #15: April 18, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »
Hmmm... I seem to remember you saying that there was no way Sirion would ever beat Fontan and the Sultanate....  ;)
Yes, of course I said that. I can't give up the hope, I was their Sultan. Now I can speak thruthfully and say that they are lost.  :( It pains to say that.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 19, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
You can never predict what is going to happen next in BM :) Who knows, Perdan and Caligus might start winning the war tomorrow  :o

It's true, Ibladesh/DoA and Caligus/Perdan  are a great match  ;D Both sides really have to think and plan out good, strategical movements and battles in order to gain anything in this war. But if you look at the war overall, Ibladesh has gained and Caligus has lost while Perdan stays the same and DoA flounders, but is still here after be deprived of all regions but her capital.

The next few months will be a battle for who takes advantage in the war. After that.. who knows  ::)
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: April 20, 2011, 07:09:57 AM »
It's true, Ibladesh/DoA and Caligus/Perdan  are a great match  ;D Both sides really have to think and plan out good, strategical movements and battles in order to gain anything in this war. But if you look at the war overall, Ibladesh has gained and Caligus has lost while Perdan stays the same and DoA flounders, but is still here after be deprived of all regions but her capital.

The next few months will be a battle for who takes advantage in the war. After that.. who knows  ::)

Mm, but if the northern front is collapsing with all the certainty that it appears to be, then Perdan/Caligus can play the waiting game.  They don't have to win, they just have to not be weakened more than Ibladesh/DoA until Sirion finishes and can come south.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18: April 20, 2011, 12:34:30 PM »
Sirion can send aid, but the travel times to the south and the costs to maintain even a small army at such distances are huge.
It would be more profitable for them to attack the northern borders of Perdan/Caligus (hint).  ;)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19: April 20, 2011, 01:09:11 PM »
Quote from: Military advisor
Type: Infantry
Weapons: 65 Armour: 65
Training: 65
Strength: 40 men
Designation: Mercenary
Cost: approx. 80 gold/week

The travel time from Sirion city to Domus is roughly 5 days if you travel fast. You will need to do some repairs again in Domus, and you want to stay operational as well for at least a week. Then you require to travel back again. Only the payments are already 240 gold. Repairing your unit, 25 gold. Scouts and healers, another 15 gold per week, so 45 gold. That will roughly cost you 310 gold per noble to send them south. That 15-20 times and you got yourself an army: 4650 to 6200 gold. For that gold, you can bring an army of 9-12k cs south to aid in the war for a week. I love maths.

As I said, they can better stab Caligus and Perdan in the back. Much cheaper.  ;)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #20: April 20, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
Or destroy SoA, move from SoA down to Westmoor, and then start wondering what to do after the entire northeast part of the continent is secured.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 20, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »
The travel time from Sirion city to Domus is roughly 5 days if you travel fast. You will need to do some repairs again in Domus, and you want to stay operational as well for at least a week. Then you require to travel back again. Only the payments are already 240 gold. Repairing your unit, 25 gold. Scouts and healers, another 15 gold per week, so 45 gold. That will roughly cost you 310 gold per noble to send them south. That 15-20 times and you got yourself an army: 4650 to 6200 gold. For that gold, you can bring an army of 9-12k cs south to aid in the war for a week. I love maths.

The cost required to march an army is the exact same cost it requires for that army to sit at home and do nothing at all. (Except for a small bit of repairs you could save if the unit sits in city.) And who wants to sit at home and do nothing?

Five days' march is no big deal. We do that, and more, all the time on AT. And if you plan on looting while you're in the field, it's that much less gold you need to bring. A few battles in the field, and you have less men to pay, and less equipment to repair.

As I said, they can better stab Caligus and Perdan in the back. Much cheaper.  ;)

Sirion may very well sit at home and watch Perdan fight alone against Ibladesh. I wouldn't blame them at all. It's not like Perdan didn't flat out declare that Sirion was too big, and needed cut down to size. :) But I don't think that Sirion would sit at home and watch Caligus die, or stab Caligus in the back. Caligus and Sirion are pretty strongly allied. And Caligus did help Sirion break Fontan, helping to bring the northern war to a rather abrupt end. So I have a very strong suspicion that Sirion will send troops to help Caligus, even if they don't send troops to help Perdan. And in helping Caligus, they will indirectly help Perdan.

We do still have to see what transpires in Westmoor, though. Sirion has yet to finish up with them. I don't know what kind of terms Sirion would demand of Westmoor.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: April 20, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
We do still have to see what transpires in Westmoor, though. Sirion has yet to finish up with them. I don't know what kind of terms Sirion would demand of Westmoor.

Nice question..

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #23: April 21, 2011, 04:21:11 AM »
The cost required to march an army is the exact same cost it requires for that army to sit at home and do nothing at all. (Except for a small bit of repairs you could save if the unit sits in city.) And who wants to sit at home and do nothing?

Five days' march is no big deal. We do that, and more, all the time on AT. And if you plan on looting while you're in the field, it's that much less gold you need to bring. A few battles in the field, and you have less men to pay, and less equipment to repair.

Sirion may very well sit at home and watch Perdan fight alone against Ibladesh. I wouldn't blame them at all. It's not like Perdan didn't flat out declare that Sirion was too big, and needed cut down to size. :) But I don't think that Sirion would sit at home and watch Caligus die, or stab Caligus in the back. Caligus and Sirion are pretty strongly allied. And Caligus did help Sirion break Fontan, helping to bring the northern war to a rather abrupt end. So I have a very strong suspicion that Sirion will send troops to help Caligus, even if they don't send troops to help Perdan. And in helping Caligus, they will indirectly help Perdan.

Yes, but at home you can rely on a steady income from taxes and the ability to use a bank if need be. Out in the field, loot is first come first serve, and will not be able to support an entire army. Unless you manage to break into a city, of course.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 21, 2011, 06:04:32 AM »
Yes, but at home you can rely on a steady income from taxes and the ability to use a bank if need be. Out in the field, loot is first come first serve, and will not be able to support an entire army. Unless you manage to break into a city, of course.

Only matters on the first campaign.  By the time you get back, you have all those weeks' worth of taxes waiting.

Now, if your realm is stupid and has wealth and property taxes, then that's another matter.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #25: April 21, 2011, 02:43:11 PM »
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make, that if you are to send an army south, you need to make sure that everyone has at least 300 gold with him.
And loosing men on the battlefield still require payment for the time they did serve you.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 21, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make, that if you are to send an army south, you need to make sure that everyone has at least 300 gold with him.

Not hard for a realm as rich as Sirion or Ibladesh.

And loosing men on the battlefield still require payment for the time they did serve you.

Which, again, is no different from an army that stays at home and fights monsters. Or a neighbor.

There is no added expense whatsoever in marching an army across the island, as opposed to leaving it sitting at home, except for some small equipment damage considerations. It is true that the farther the army marches, the less effective they are, both in time on station and in terms of EQ damage by the time they fight.  But marching across the island to fight an enemy far from home is a lot better than sitting around at home doing nothing. I don't know how effective Sirion could be at aiding Caligus, if they chose to do so. A smart use of them would be to make attacks on specific, well-fortified regions, or to cover a key takeover. The first lets Caligus attack heavily fortified regions they couldn't take on their own. The second allows Sirion to avoid the expenses of having to recruit additional troops to replace losses, allowing them to stay in the field longer.

Zakilevo

« Reply #27: April 21, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
It is very difficult even for Sirion.

We have over 90 TLs and at least 70-80% of them are in the army. We barely get enough gold to recruit over 30 units and can only able to pay them for a week. If Sirion is to send an army south, it will be less than 25. Cannot stack gold to one army due to our army size. Sirion is not very rich :P Our cities are nothing compared to those in the south.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #28: April 21, 2011, 10:49:14 PM »
Not hard for a realm as rich as Sirion or Ibladesh.

There is no added expense whatsoever in marching an army across the island, as opposed to leaving it sitting at home, except for some small equipment damage considerations.
Sirion isn't as rich as Ibladesh. And the additional expenses are the mercenary costs.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 21, 2011, 10:56:05 PM »
I'm not so sure they;'d have to use Merc settings. At least not for very long. The distance from Sirion to Ibladesh isn't anything like the distances you get on AT, and I rarely have to use merc settings there.

Believe me, as part of Darka, I have lots of experience marching long distances to fight battles. ;D